New BB user here.

Some friends told me that as a BB user I can send pics to them for free since we all use BBs.

Is this true? It wont use my data?

Is this what the BB PIN is for?

How do I make sure that the incoming and outgoing data is being transmitted in a manner that makes it free?
    12-13-10 09:31 AM
    it will use data but since yu have bbm that means yu have internet and that will not cost yu nothing to see how many gb of internet you are using go to dial and type in *3282# and yu will get a text message saying how much of internet yu have used and how yu have left but i send pictures alot through bbm and it is free
    12-13-10 09:34 AM
    New BB user here.

Some friends told me that as a BB user I can send pics to them for free since we all use BBs.

Is this true? It wont use my data?

Is this what the BB PIN is for?

How do I make sure that the incoming and outgoing data is being transmitted in a manner that makes it free?
    I'm pretty sure it's only free if you have unlimited data plan.. Not too sure. Unless sending through BlackBerry Messenger (Which is what the Pins are for) You can make incoming and outgoing data free by using any wifi connections that you are near.
    eighteez likes this.
    12-13-10 09:35 AM
    so if I use "blackberry messenger" to send anything, that is free.

Yes?

Bear with me, I'm new at this.
    12-13-10 09:39 AM
    yes it is free
    eighteez likes this.
    12-13-10 09:49 AM
    Technically it's free if your using wifi, if your NOT using wifi then your using you data plan. It will not take away from your plan minutes or mms/sms plans either way.

BBM(blackberry messenger) is a cool way to share stuff with other people using BBM, think of it as a text or picture message system used between BB users that doesn't use your normal plan minutes.
    eighteez likes this.
    12-13-10 09:57 AM
    ahhh, so if I am NOT on wifi. And I send a photo, even thru bbm, I will have a data charge?

But just texts will be free regardless. If sent through bbm.
    12-13-10 09:59 AM
    ahhh, so if I am NOT on wifi. And I send a photo, even thru bbm, I will have a data charge?

But just texts will be free regardless. If sent through bbm.
    No,

BBM uses your data for everything if your not on wifi. It will not use your plan minutes(phone calls) or mms/mms messages(text messaging plans), but will use your data regardless of what it is used for if your NOT on a wifi connection.
    12-13-10 10:02 AM
    ahhh ha

If it still uses data, then what is the attraction?

Why not just text people?

If I send a text to a family member with a baby picture attached, it uses data. And 1 text message is used.

If I send the same thing via BBM then its the same data used and just no text message?

I suppose if I didnt have unlimited texts on my plan....

Am I thinking correctly?
    12-13-10 10:07 AM
    Yes your thinking is correct now, somewhat.

With a picture message you only use the text message part of your plan, not text message and data(technically it uses data also but you don't get charged for that data, it only shows on your bill as a sms(picture)message). With BBM it would only use your data. The best part about BBM, if your connected to wifi you get charged for nothing.

Guess it all depends on how your plan is setup. Me personally I have an unlimited data plan and only 1500 text/picture messages. So it makes more sense for me to send pictures and text's to my friends that have BB's via BBM.
    12-13-10 10:13 AM
    I see.

But if I have unlimited texts, (as part of a family plan with other phones on the plan that are not smartphones) and send these via wifi, then I'm not getting billed for anything either. True?

I guess BBM shines more if you dont have unlimited texts.
    12-13-10 10:23 AM
    Text messages regardless of your connection always use your text message plan. You can test this by turning off your radio(network connection), while leaving wifi on and connected, and try sending a normal text message. It wont send since your radio is off.

Since your on an unlimited text/picture message plan I guess it really wont matter either way.
    12-13-10 10:25 AM
    I know I have unlimited texts. But attaching the photo uses data I believe.

I was hoping that the BBM thing would eliminate the data charge if I sent the pics to the bb users.

In the end it seems if I use texts I can send it to anyone. If I use bbm I can only send it to bb users.

The charge/useage is the same. (since I have a plan with included texts)
    12-13-10 10:43 AM
    I know I have unlimited texts. But attaching the photo uses data I believe.
    Yes it uses data but you don't get charged for that data usage, it shows on your bill as just a picture message. It does not deduct from your data plan.

I was hoping that the BBM thing would eliminate the data charge if I sent the pics to the bb users.
    BBM would eliminate the data usage only if your connected to wifi.

In the end it seems if I use texts I can send it to anyone. If I use bbm I can only send it to bb users.
    Yes 100% correct, BBM is only available to others who have a BB. It's a BB only product.
    12-13-10 10:52 AM
    BBM is what pulled me into bb ! Try it, you may like it. You do not use any data like they said if you are connected to wifi. For example, AT&T has no service near my cabin. However, we do have internet. Even though, I am unable to make phone calls/sms/or mms I am still able to use bbm due to my phones wifi capability. As for making phone calls, does anyone know if there is a voip app that works for bb, or is this something that is disabled thru your carrier and must be unlocked?
    12-13-10 10:52 AM
    then maybe I dont understand how wifi works...

What works on wifi if you are at home and the phone is connecting via wifi?

I was under the assumption that everything but voice would come in via wifi if you were connected... Emails, facebook notifications, etc....
    12-13-10 10:55 AM
    BBM is strictly data and its world wide. I can send BBM messages to my brother in law in S Africa and not pay anything more than what I already pay for my data plan. This is what the draw is to BBM. If I sent a text to him I would pay international text rates. I'm legacy with AT&T so I still have the unlimited data plan. Yes BBM is only for BB users. Again anything you send over BBM is part of your data plan unless you are on WiFi as others have explained.

As far as WiFi goes everything but voice does come over WiFi if you are connected. T-Mobile used to have an option to have your voice calls come over that too but that was only with certain phones. I'm not sure if that works the same anymore.
    Last edited by crackhead007; 12-13-10 at 10:59 AM.
    eighteez likes this.
    12-13-10 10:57 AM
    BBM is what pulled me into bb ! Try it, you may like it. You do not use any data like they said if you are connected to wifi. For example, AT&T has no service near my cabin. However, we do have internet. Even though, I am unable to make phone calls/sms/or mms I am still able to use bbm due to my phones wifi capability. As for making phone calls, does anyone know if there is a voip app that works for bb, or is this something that is disabled thru your carrier and must be unlocked?
    Ive never personally used it, but I hear good things about an app called Tringme.

TringMe - Web based Telephony
    12-13-10 10:59 AM
    lets take this back to basics, I think I am missing something somewhere.

voice - uses at&t network always. regardless of wifi
    texts - will these go via wifi if connected? then voice if not?
    12-13-10 11:01 AM
    then maybe I dont understand how wifi works...

What works on wifi if you are at home and the phone is connecting via wifi?

I was under the assumption that everything but voice would come in via wifi if you were connected... Emails, facebook notifications, etc....
    Everything except voice and text/picture messages. Some apps will still use your data plan regardless of what your connected to(most have options for what connections is preferred).
    12-13-10 11:01 AM
    lets take this back to basics, I think I am missing something somewhere.

voice - uses at&t network always. regardless of wifi
    texts - will these go via wifi if connected? then voice if not?
    Yes on voice, no on the texts. Texts will also always use the AT&T network regardless of whether your on wifi or not.

Edit:
    Sorry for the double post but you posted while I was typing and quoting you made it easier.
    12-13-10 11:03 AM
    ok. so texts use up your texting allotment.

So in your case if you have 1500 texts, texting reduces this by one each time.

And if you attach a photo or video to that, it uses a text and some data. (depending on size of file)

True?
    12-13-10 11:04 AM
    ok. so texts use up your texting allotment.

So in your case if you have 1500 texts, texting reduces this by one each time.

And if you attach a photo or video to that, it uses a text and some data. (depending on size of file)

True?
    Yes true, but as I stated before the data the picture message uses will not deduct from your data plan. As far as billing goes its a text only text.

Think of it this way, older phones could send picture messages but not access the web. Therefore they had no data plans. Picture messages as far as billing and data plans go, are just billed as regular text only texts.
    12-13-10 11:06 AM
    so adding an attachment to a text doesnt affect your bill at all...

Weird. And surprising.

And if I sent the same text, with or without an attachment, bia BBM the benefit is the international ability as mentioned above, and it wont count as a text. As its sent via data. As opposed to standard texts.

Correct?

(thanks so much for helping here. I have zero faith in what the kids behind the counter at the local at&t store tell me...)
    12-13-10 11:11 AM
    Now you have it. Your correct on all points now.

Only thing is, if your connected to wifi, BBM will use wifi and not deduct from your data plan.

No problem on helping. It's why were here. Patience is a virtue a lot of people need to learn.
    eighteez likes this.
    12-13-10 11:14 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD