01-18-11 01:17 PM
28 12
tools
    I got my Torch 2 months ago, I monitor my data carefully (*data#) My bill cycle ended 1/13, I checked data usage Wed and was at 50mg. I have a 200mg plan. Now Thursday the data usage presumably reset? But today I got a message that I was already over my data usage for the upcoming month ... AT&T is no help, this stinks

And no I haven't been streaming anything! Just google maps, email, a few sites. Barely anything since the new cycle started.
    01-17-11 09:02 AM
    Do you normally use wifi? Are you sure your phone is still connected to it?

Did you d/l any new apps that might be running in the background using data?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    new.bee likes this.
    01-17-11 09:33 AM
    Google maps uses a lot of data, since it is updating your location.
    new.bee likes this.
    01-17-11 09:37 AM
    I upgraded to the bigger plan just for this month, and checked my data usage - I know I had my phone plugged in to my computer during that time - why would that use 800MB data? Did my computer use it to go online? Something's wrong.
    01-17-11 10:26 AM
    I upgraded to the bigger plan just for this month, and checked my data usage - I know I had my phone plugged in to my computer during that time - why would that use 800MB data? Did my computer use it to go online? Something's wrong.
    Tethering could definitely eat up data fairly quickly. My understanding is that you need to have tethering enabled on your AT&T account for it to work though. So if you don't, just having your phone connected to your computer shouldn't have caused to data usage.
    Last edited by fnord; 01-17-11 at 11:44 AM.
    new.bee likes this.
    01-17-11 10:31 AM
    I'm so glad I have the unlimited data package and not a 200milligram package.
    01-17-11 10:50 AM
    Still haven't figured it out. I downloaded the app Network Traffic Control and hopefully will be notified if it jumps again. If anyone has another idea please share!
    01-17-11 11:33 AM
    I'm so glad I have the unlimited data package and not a 200milligram package.
    Again I barely use data - unlimited was $30, my plan now is $15.
    01-17-11 11:35 AM
    While my usage did not reach my limit the same issue occurred last month. I suspect failed connections to WiFi. Now I am very cautious to check the connection before surfing or downloading.

Network Traffic Control is installed and working. I am still having trouble getting a real correlation between their reports and ATT reporting. Do not yet know what the issue is there but the discrepancy is huge.
    new.bee likes this.
    01-17-11 12:25 PM
    I'd suggest installing the free version of Mobile Minutes Tracker (from BB App World) and stting it up to track your usage. The, you could check each day to identify a data spike. If you know at the end of the day when you've experienced a spike, it should be easier to track what the cause was.

Of course you should always make sure you are exiting an app vs. Sending it to the background. If in doubt, use the menu command in an app to exit, until you have this figured out. ~ecm

new.bee likes this.
    01-17-11 02:01 PM
    And this is why I got the $30unlimited plan..so I can carelessly use my 3-5gb's of data a month

01-17-11 02:14 PM
    I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, but I still like to check how much data I am using. I use the free e-office Mobile Data Alerter app.
    new.bee likes this.
    01-17-11 02:15 PM
    While my usage did not reach my limit the same issue occurred last month. I suspect failed connections to WiFi. Now I am very cautious to check the connection before surfing or downloading.
    I wish I could blame it on the wifi but I wasn't even browsing on my phone! I still haven't turned my data back on, I turned it off as soon as I found out there was an issue. I'm hating AT&T right now - I'm on a large family plan, you'd think they'd work harder to help me figure out the problem or at least waive some charges.
    01-17-11 03:21 PM
    I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, but I still like to check how much data I am using. I use the free e-office Mobile Data Alerter app.
    I'd suggest installing the free version of Mobile Minutes Tracker (from BB App World) and stting it up to track your usage. The, you could check each day to identify a data spike. If you know at the end of the day when you've experienced a spike, it should be easier to track what the cause was.
    Any reason to use these apps over Network Traffic Control?
    01-17-11 03:22 PM
    I tried Network Traffic Control, but found it more complicated than necessary, having to manually set-up all parameters. (Too many chances for errorm) With Mobile Minutes Tracker, you simply select your carrier, add user I'd and password and it pulls the data, voice and SMS usage from the carrier.

A matter of choice really. I prefer to have my BB do the work for me...

Since they're both free, set up both at once and see which is more accurate. ~ecm

new.bee likes this.
    01-17-11 03:49 PM
    I like e-office Mobile Data Alerter since it just monitors data, no voice/SMS or anything else. It also lets you set an alert to warn you if you are exceeding your specified limits.

01-17-11 03:57 PM
    And I thought AT&Twas convinced that us BB users did not use all that much data. I'm still convinced they changed the plan for their own financial gain... And then tell me it's for my own good. What a load.

01-17-11 04:30 PM
    I would be very surprised that if you called ATT customer service and spoke very calmly with them about the issue that they would refund the price of the overages considering your past usage.

I have never had a problem disputing charges on my bill with ATT, and I have been a customer a very long time.

On a side note, coming from a curve to the torch my data usage doubled, but no where near what you saw in usage.
    01-17-11 04:40 PM
    with my old krzr phone i hit the web button and had a 5 dollar charge for 30 seconds of usage, but i phoned and they said it was an anomalie in the average usage of my past bills so they took it off.
    new.bee likes this.
    01-17-11 04:49 PM
    They way you would know if your tethering would be by seeing if you connected to the APN: isp.cingular .. Normal WAP activity would use wap.cingular. Plus you'd also need a tethering plan to get the tetheing APN provisioned on the account. I'm glad I still have the old unlimited data plan with no cap.

new.bee likes this.
    01-17-11 05:04 PM
    I would be very surprised that if you called ATT customer service and spoke very calmly with them about the issue that they would refund the price of the overages considering your past usage.

I have never had a problem disputing charges on my bill with ATT, and I have been a customer a very long time.

On a side note, coming from a curve to the torch my data usage doubled, but no where near what you saw in usage.
    ur increase is probably due to going from edge to 3g tho u probably surf the same amount of time u used to u are now surfing more data in the same amount of time.

As for the op i def think you have some app running in the background continually accessing ur network. Tho i don't know of any app that could use that much data there is somethin funny. You may want to press and hold the blackberry button and see what is running and maybe stop or delete any unnecessarily running apps.
    Also if you call AT&T (yea they suck), speak to them nicely tell them i had no idea my data was running so high they will up ur plan and back date it so it won't ding u for ridiculous data usage, happen to me with minutes and text messages before i went unlimited. Good luck.
    new.bee likes this.
    01-17-11 05:45 PM
    As for the op i def think you have some app running in the background continually accessing ur network. Tho i don't know of any app that could use that much data there is somethin funny. You may want to press and hold the blackberry button and see what is running and maybe stop or delete any unnecessarily running apps.
    Thanks! I did have some apps that shouldn't be running. That doesn't explain though why the usage exploded like that.
    Also if you call AT&T (yea they suck), speak to them nicely tell them i had no idea my data was running so high they will up ur plan and back date it so it won't ding u for ridiculous data usage, happen to me with minutes and text messages before i went unlimited. Good luck.
    That's what I did, it's $10 for the upgrade and they said I could downgrade next month. So I got off relatively easily.
    01-17-11 07:02 PM
    They way you would know if your tethering would be by seeing if you connected to the APN: isp.cingular .. Normal WAP activity would use wap.cingular. Plus you'd also need a tethering plan to get the tetheing APN provisioned on the account. I'm glad I still have the old unlimited data plan with no cap.

I see the wap.cingular but the problem is from blackberry.net. I assumed wap meant email and blackberry.net for other usage? How does that work?
    01-17-11 07:06 PM
    And this is why I got the $30unlimited plan..so I can carelessly use my 3-5gb's of data a month
    I thought AT&T did away with the unlimited plans for 30/mo ? All they have now is the 200MB for $15, or the 2GB for $25.

Unless..did they grandfather it for existing customers?
    01-17-11 10:57 PM
    Grandfathered in. I've used up to 20GB of data with my iphone before (jailbroken and tethering). I love the fact that they can't take away my unlimited data.
    01-18-11 12:43 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD