I bought the torch as an upgrade from my bold 9700. YAY i loved it! the touch screen, the response time, having both virtual and a physical keyboard.... I've had it about 6 weeks now and I am adjusting to becoming efficient using virtual keys vs physical, working the phone open or closed... but recently I've noticed it's taking FOREVER to do the smallest task and there's a quick black diagonal line that shows up on my screen when i touch it. I also feel as if I've hit a plateau with efficiency. The learning curve wasn't too bad coming from the 9700 but now it seems as I am lugging around a brick in my pocket and am fumbling trying to open an email as my screen will freeze and open other things once it comes back to life. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! it's not a bad phone by any means but I thought it would keep me occupied for longer than it has. I walked into ATT and was looking at the pearl 3g wondering what life would be like with such a tiny phone (and SureType of course). It's almost like this phone is too complicated and I just want a simple phone once again. Am I the only one who feels like this? It's been the best phone I've had and can never go back to my bold 9700 as I just try to touch the screen all the time but if I completely change form factors, maybe I won't have that blip in my memory and get a totally different experience from it. Just wondering if any one else felt this way or is feeling anything similar.
    10-30-10 07:48 PM
    are you doing regular battery pulls?

when the phone lags, it should be reset via battery pull.
    I didnt see you mention that you were performing them above.

let us know.
    10-30-10 07:53 PM
    What do you mean by regular battery pulls? Sorry im gettin my torch in a couple of days and trying to read as much as i can!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-10 08:01 PM
    I've done a few battery pulls when it completely freezes but. Should I be doing daily ones?? I always think ill break my phone when I take off the back cover.

10-30-10 08:02 PM
    are you doing regular battery pulls?

when the phone lags, it should be reset via battery pull.
    I didnt see you mention that you were performing them above.

let us know.
    10/30/2010 and you still have to do "regular" battery pulls, even with the mighty OS6? That's sad.
    10-30-10 08:06 PM
    Regular battery pulls aren't normal nor required. It used to be a "daily" thing with some BB's in order to help recover some of the little memory they came equipped with which would affect the operation of the phone (lag) when memory got low. What OS version are you running? If its still .141 then you should upgrade immediately. If its .248 or higher then you should try a re-install. If its still an issue then I'd exchange it.

10-30-10 08:42 PM
    ethylove, I really like the 9800 but after 6 weeks of travel with it I found it to be less than efficient and more cumbersome in executing normal tasking - the options to use the VKB or PKB, touch or trackpad scroll and my obsession to keep the screen clean of fingerprints drove me back to the Bold and now the 9100 3G.

I have a collection of BBs since 1999 and my favorite is still the Bold 9000 - my Bold is like going to a drive-in movie theater screen size with the best speaker, my Torch is my multi-media home theater, but my Pearl 3g is my pocket communicator. The Pearl form factor is discrete, efficient and I'm used to suretype from by expereince with the 8100 and 8110. I'll keep the Torch cause it's cool technology and add it to the BB museum.

On my pocket communicator I did change the gradient red keyboard to all black keyboard - much easier to see the letters/numbers, and black battery cover.

;;
    10-30-10 09:22 PM
    That's quite a collection you have there! I had the bold 9000 as well and that's the best phone ever. Hands down. I recall seeing your post about changing the gradient to all black and I really do like the look of it! I never thought I'd feel overwhelmed by so much technology and options that I would put my sim card back into an older phone but at least I'm not alone! Thanks for sharing! I'm glad you like your pearl!!t

10-30-10 09:37 PM
    Yes, nice collection there! One thing you notice when you put your sim card into an older blackberry is how advanced they were even compared to some smartphones today. Push email works perfectly, battery lasts forever, call quality is great, signal strength very good and when you're on speaker phone you can feel it vibrate in your hand, it's that loud. Not to mention how tough they are. I had a 9000 as a backup in my car until early this week when I managed to fry it with a portable battery charger. I now reverted to the old 8707v I bought on eBay for �20 and it's great.

10-31-10 07:16 AM
    10/30/2010 and you still have to do "regular" battery pulls, even with the mighty OS6? That's sad.
    A. I know android freezes often and requires a reset so we're not alone.
    B. No, the torch doesn't require 'regular' battery pulls. I do mine weekly with no issues.
    C. OS 6 is new so even if it required battery pulls it wouldn't be too surprising and would most likely be fixed
    D. Its 2010 and you should still reboot your PC every weekish, its just part of electronics.

10-31-10 07:25 AM
    Your collection devices is wicked for sure. I think that the peral is a great device and I have been thinking about picking one up as a back device or a replacment for my work phone.

And to 67Tucker just as dfairlite mentioned android and iphones all freeze and need a reboot **** you even have to get a jump for a dead battery for your car. So I know feeding the troll is time wasted but making dumb comments is also a waste of time.

10-31-10 09:21 AM
    I agree with the older smartphones being beasts that stand up to everything. I miss speakerphone on my bold 9000 but I used it one day out of nostalgia and the battery died around lunch (I use my phone as an ipod) and that was unacceptable. But I know what you mean!

10-31-10 11:10 AM
    Hey as someone who works for ATT and a personal Torch user the suggestion that most people are being told is just to do the battery pulls daily on your torch. I do one every day after I get home from work and let it reset. So far I have not run into the problems that you have but figured I would jsut offer my advice.
    11-01-10 11:10 AM
    that's so outrageous. I mean in the grand scheme of things a daily battery pull isn't bad but my OB is getting looser every time I take it off so I'd prefer not to. I'll figure something out. Thanks for your advice!
    11-01-10 11:50 AM
    You can do ALT+right SHIFT+DEL to avoid opening the back cover too frequently to remove the battery. It's like a soft reset & works in most cases.

11-01-10 12:29 PM
    Regular battery pulls are necessary? That's news to me. I've had a Samsung Vice for over a year and never taken the battery out of the thing. My computer stays plugged in and on ready to go 24/7 as well. The battery in my PSP has been taken out once to replace it to the more powerful battery since it was released after my unit was purchased.

I've owned lots of electronics and the concept seems pretty alien to me. Is there any documentation on this that it actually improves performance. I understand resetting the RAM because of the lack of electrical charge, but really a battery pull?
    11-01-10 12:34 PM
    that's so outrageous. I mean in the grand scheme of things a daily battery pull isn't bad but my OB is getting looser every time I take it off so I'd prefer not to. I'll figure something out. Thanks for your advice!
    Kind of asinine to have to do this, but you could load Quick Pull on there and have it do a scheduled reset every night when you are asleep.
    11-01-10 12:36 PM
    oh man, duh about the soft reset. I totally forgot about that. Thanks you guys! I definitely feel something is not quite right if resetting the device is a daily thing. BUT it's still pretty new and is bound to have problems. right?? =P
    11-01-10 12:41 PM
    Daily battery pulls on the Torch are not neccesary.

11-01-10 01:33 PM
    You don't need to do a regular battery pull on the Torch. I've soft reset mine a couple of times due to OS upgrades and one noticeable slowdown after installing an App. I haven't removed my battery cover or battery since I put in my media card and sim when I got it on launch day.

Of course, I didn't do regular battery pulls on my Curve 8310, either. I did have to do a battery pull occasionally because it would freeze every few months.

As for your computer, an occasional restart is good, as Windows (and even Apple's OSX) will have memory leaks that slow you down (really, it's some of the programs that don't release memory properly). How often depends on your usage.
    11-01-10 02:01 PM
    A. I know android freezes often and requires a reset so we're not alone.
    B. No, the torch doesn't require 'regular' battery pulls. I do mine weekly with no issues.
    C. OS 6 is new so even if it required battery pulls it wouldn't be too surprising and would most likely be fixed
    D. Its 2010 and you should still reboot your PC every weekish, its just part of electronics.

I know... I know.
    11-01-10 03:27 PM
    to each their own on the battery pull situation.

On the other hand, I got a pink telus pearl 3g on ebay (allegedly supporting breast cancer research too! woot!) and I've read some forum stuff on people using unlocked torchs on telus so I can only assume I can unlock the telus phone and use it on ATT. this is correct right? Since it's all GSM? (not that I know what that stands for) Thank you guys!
    11-01-10 08:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD