Hey guys, I have the 15 dollar plan from att. I'am at home and tried using wi-fi to browse the web, but it won't let me unless I turn on my data..

And also, my friend tried to send me pics earlier (through text) but I couldn't get them.. I turned on data, and then it came through.. Why is it doing this? It's through text, it shouldn't be using data right?

I've got more questions, but these are the basics right now. The torch is severely pissing me off at the moment.
    11-18-10 10:08 PM
    no, if it is pics it uses data.. as for browsing, i would make sure you are connected properly, wifi works fine on the torch.
    11-18-10 10:15 PM
    Hey guys, I have the 15 dollar plan from att. I'am at home and tried using wi-fi to browse the web, but it won't let me unless I turn on my data..

And also, my friend tried to send me pics earlier (through text) but I couldn't get them.. I turned on data, and then it came through.. Why is it doing this? It's through text, it shouldn't be using data right?

I've got more questions, but these are the basics right now. The torch is severely pissing me off at the moment.
    you need to have the Data ON even if you're using Wi-Fi.
    that's the only way you can access your BIS/BES.
    i don't think it's gonna add to your 200 MB limit since you are using Wi-Fi
    11-18-10 10:18 PM
    yeah you need to have the data on so you can receive pics.

well i can help you with that since i have the same cuz im not a really an app lover but know most of the tricks so you dont go over your data plan.

1-if you are always on a wifi spot (always be connect to wifi) then you basically might use like 20% of the 200mb of the data plan.

2-what apps you have?

*1 of the the worst apps for data plan are the "the weather channel or weatherbug" cuz it will eat your data even if you are not using them. so if you use it, make sure to exit it when you finish checking the app.

3- not a bbm user? then you dont have to worry

4- email lover? if not then you might be good. So put an email that you rarely use and only gets real emails and not junk. cuz if you put your regular email that gets like hundreds or thousands of emails a week then you screw.
    11-18-10 10:28 PM
    ^ another suggestion to conserve the 200 MB is NOT TO uprgrade version when you're out of your Wi-Fi zones.. that will eat a lot of data as well
    11-18-10 10:31 PM
    Why worry? If you go over 200MB, we add another 200MB for $10. If you then go over again, we add another 200MB for $10. This is for any given month.

Same type of thing happens on the 2GB plan...

The only times to worry are when tethering especially if you are not paying for a tethering plan or if you start streaming music or videos.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by shansmi; 11-18-10 at 11:07 PM.
    11-18-10 11:03 PM
    turn it on when u need it and off when u dont. but if u are not using apps that use data then u should leave it on. but also I do think that BBs use 1/3 less data than lets say, anything out there. im pretty sure thats true
    11-19-10 01:41 AM
    You should be able to use wifi-only to browse? I use the "Hotspot Browser" just fine without my data being turned on (Hotspot=Wifi.....this can be found under Browser > Options)

That being said, I pay $30/mo for 500mb data, only use Wifi for podcast downloads, and have never used the full 500mb. (Average 220mb/month, max 410mb!) It takes a lot to use up data for basic activities- it's only major downloading that will get you in trouble, but even then- if your friend sends you a pic, it will tell you the file size, and you can determine whether it's large enough to affect your data limit or not.
    11-19-10 05:37 AM
    Why worry? If you go over 200MB, we add another 200MB for $10. If you then go over again, we add another 200MB for $10. This is for any given month.

The only times to worry are when tethering especially if you are not paying for a tethering plan or if you start streaming music or videos.

if you go over the 200MB... it's $10 for an additional 1G and not 200MB.
    same rule for people with the $25/2GB package.. when they go over it's $10 for every 1GB.

and the unlimited is at $30/ 5GB cap.. if you go over.. it will slow down your download/upload but not charge you extra
    11-19-10 06:02 AM

It is actually another $15
    11-19-10 01:52 PM
    either way you get more for a smaller fee. It will not be hundreds or thousands more since in the old days biling was per packet....
    11-19-10 02:01 PM
    There's some miss-information in this thread.

To clarify:

you need to have the Data ON even if you're using Wi-Fi.
    that's the only way you can access your BIS/BES.i
    Not true: As long as you have a BIS plan with you carrier you can turn off the Mobile Network and still be able to use browser/BBM.. with WiFi on.

You should be able to use wifi-only to browse? I use the "Hotspot Browser" just fine without my data being turned on (Hotspot=Wifi.....this can be found under Browser > Options)
    They got rid of this feature with OS 6. You do not need to 'switch' browsers it will take care of the for you. As long as you're connected to a WiFi network (the symbol on your device is white) you should be able to browse off the carrier network and not incur any data charges.
    Last edited by fnord; 11-19-10 at 02:46 PM.
    11-19-10 02:42 PM
    thanks for the replies guys.

Question, if I leave the option for "data services" ON ALL of the time, will it be using data w/o me knowing?

And about the picture messaging, does this data being used count towards my total useage?

Question 3, I do not use BBM.. I do plan on adding a weather app and an email app. That is about it. If and when I do add these apps, and they update constantly this is also using data correct?

So in that case, which apps can I download to only check when I click them? (To avoid the data useage)

Oh and so if I do end up going over my 200mb, the charge is only 10-15 dollars?
    Last edited by solekeeper90; 11-19-10 at 07:35 PM.
    11-19-10 07:31 PM
    bumppp can anyone anwer the above questions? ^
    11-20-10 12:03 PM
    bumppp can anyone anwer the above questions? ^
    My understanding is that SMS/MMS that's not BBM will count against your data plan (BTW, I'd really suggest trying BBM if you know other BB users -- it's great).

Not sure about your other Qs and whether email and weather apps use data or wifi - might depend on if you're connected to wifi.

For reference, if you use WiFi as much as possible then you might be surprised by how little of your data allowance you actually use.

11-20-10 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD