Hello all, so since I had my new Torch in early November, I've experienced AND read about here that the battery life is absolutely terrible. And it is, well..was. I've been tryin to be so extra efficient with my battery life to save as much as I can. I never run 3G, WIFI, or bright display, you name it. Nothing worked until...I decided to run WIFI all the time. WOW..I mean my battery dies at least 50% slower. I even use a program called WIFI Manager (which is free) from the APP store which turns WIFI on and off based on location.

Anyway, after on finding this out, I couldn't decide if EVERYONE knew about it or not, cause I just might be nuts and an ***** for never trying it haha. But hope it works well.

Cheers

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-11 06:18 PM
    I run wifi all the time, no matter which of my units I use. In the case of my Torch..... couldn't tell ya whether or not it's because of the wifi but I get great batt performance ( I run 337)

01-18-11 09:16 PM
    Personally, I have no problem at all with battery life. In the morning, its fully charged and it will definately last me the entire day and I recharge it at night. So I think people complaining about battery life from their torch might have a different expectation of battery life, maybe they are comparing with other "dumb" phone that will last them for a few days.

So welcome to the new world of Smartphones. Big screen, constant connectivity etc will definately drain the phone battery..

- Charles
    01-18-11 09:39 PM
    I had big problems with battery life but .337 made it much better...still pretty terrible but at least it lasts all day now.
    01-18-11 10:40 PM
    Personally, I have no problem at all with battery life. In the morning, its fully charged and it will definately last me the entire day and I recharge it at night. So I think people complaining about battery life from their torch might have a different expectation of battery life, maybe they are comparing with other "dumb" phone that will last them for a few days.

So welcome to the new world of Smartphones. Big screen, constant connectivity etc will definately drain the phone battery..

- Charles
    I second this. Won't hurt to plug it into the charger at night. Only takes 2 seconds. Its not like the battery drains every 2-6 hours (Evo, and iPhone) and have to carry your charger everywhere u go, if that's the case then your battery's got a problem.

01-18-11 10:50 PM
    I use my BB (9800 now) as my full time business phone.

I am up to two days no charge if I push it I check it around 10pm to see where it is at and deside if I charge or not. I do have a charger at my shop but usually do not need it till the third day of forgetting to charge.

Average day is 120-180 minutes of talk time. Looks like 92 Text today 12 with Pictures out going. 14 e-mails with replys. 22 pictures and 30-45 minutes of web time. Wi-Fi, Blu-tooth and phone on all day.

Friday and saturday can easily double many of those numbers.

I am VERY happy with my battery life so far!

BTW I run about a half a dozen app's and QuickPull it every morning at 6:05
    01-18-11 11:20 PM
    Its not like the battery drains every 2-6 hours (Evo, and iPhone) and have to carry your charger everywhere u go, if that's the case then your battery's got a problem.

I didn't know, I always figured the iPhone had a longer lasting battery..the standby and talk times are a lot higher on the iPhone 4 than the Torch. But for how much I use it (a lot), this is now much more acceptable. I guess data drains a lot more than WIFI

01-18-11 11:26 PM
    I didn't know, I always figured the iPhone had a longer lasting battery..the standby and talk times are a lot higher on the iPhone 4 than the Torch. But for how much I use it (a lot), this is now much more acceptable. I guess data drains a lot more than WIFI

Yes it does.i'm always connected to wifi and manage to get a whole day of heavy usage out of it. Way better than my previous Bold9000.

01-18-11 11:31 PM
    I use my BB (9800 now) as my full time business phone.

I am up to two days no charge if I push it I check it around 10pm to see where it is at and deside if I charge or not. I do have a charger at my shop but usually do not need it till the third day of forgetting to charge.

Average day is 120-180 minutes of talk time. Looks like 92 Text today 12 with Pictures out going. 14 e-mails with replys. 22 pictures and 30-45 minutes of web time. Wi-Fi, Blu-tooth and phone on all day.

Friday and saturday can easily double many of those numbers.

I am VERY happy with my battery life so far!

BTW I run about a half a dozen app's and QuickPull it every morning at 6:05
    i wish i could claim this. my battery life is pretty crappy. im hoping the new hybrid OS im running will settle in and last longer.
    01-18-11 11:34 PM
    I get pretty decent battery life out of my Torch running .337....still wish it had better battery life though
    01-18-11 11:55 PM
    i keep it on 2G only use 3G for internet. i can go 2 days with out charging it. .337 upgrade.
    01-19-11 12:19 AM
    I second this. Won't hurt to plug it into the charger at night. Only takes 2 seconds. Its not like the battery drains every 2-6 hours (Evo, and iPhone) and have to carry your charger everywhere u go, if that's the case then your battery's got a problem.

I third this. Also, check this BB battery info. Plugging it in when/if you have the chance during the day really does work well, I've been doing it ever since I read about it.
    01-19-11 03:45 AM
    If it gets you through your day, what more do you need? People that complain the thing doesn't last 2 or 3 days like there bold did, have to realize that the torch has a smaller battery(do to the size of the base it has to be smaller), and your also powering nearly 3 times the screen real estate.
    01-19-11 06:40 AM
    I go with a second charger at my office and a car charger and never had problem with battery.
    Whats the point on not charging the bb dont get it.

01-19-11 07:49 AM
    I consider my situation as great battery life. I put it in the charging cradle that doubles as a clock when i go to bed and thats it. the next day it sometimes gets as low as 70% before I go to bed again....although I must admit I leave the wifi and gps services off most of the time.
    01-19-11 09:10 AM
    A lot of people here mentioned the .337 update..there's probably 5 threads about it but..I was thinking about it but was hesitating because it doesn't show as an official release yet for the US/AT&T markets..

So in the future that could perhaps contribute to better battery life in the end.

01-19-11 09:44 AM
    I've always had good battery life with my Torch. It can go 2 days if I need it to (and I made it 3 days once), but I usually charge it at night. I do think expectations are different for people, depending on their previous phone.

I have .337. I think it's a great OS, but not sure it's made a difference for my battery life. I do have my brightness down and have WIFI and 3G on at all times. I have Bluetooth off since I don't use it. My area is strong with 3G. If you're in an area with poor 3G strength, the phone will drain it's battery faster as it switches from 2G and 3G.
    01-19-11 11:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD