I'm really thinking of switching my Torch for a Samsung Captivate. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has switched and liked the Droid setup?

Thanks,
    PotiseUF
    12-10-10 11:12 AM
    funny, I'm thinking about switching from the captivate to the torch. GPS and battery life are whats bugging me most. I will deffinately go with the torch but my upgrade doesn't come up till next month.
    12-10-10 11:15 AM
    Boyfriend uses a Droid phone. I hate it. I don't like the way it's set up, and the battery life is complete crap. Plus, after only a year of use it's acting all wonky, and almost everyone I know who has a droid phone is experiencing similar deterioration. But that's just my opinion. Obviously you need to play with the phone you are considering before you make a decision.
    12-10-10 11:44 AM
    Clipse I thought that they fixed the GPS issues with the phone? And the battery life isn't that great on the the Torch.

AK - What kind of problems are u talking about?
    12-10-10 11:53 AM
    If your torch gets bad battery life you're going to hate the captivate. I would do light web browsing before work by the time I'm off work at 3 the phone would be at less then 50% battery. The torch on the other hand easily lasts me through the day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-10 12:09 PM
    Dude, you don't need our help. It's your money. If the 9800 does not blow your hair
    back then move on to something that does.

I will never understand these "help me to decide" threads. Grow a pair
    or put on your big girl panties (whichever applies) and make the
    decision that works best for you.
    lssanjose, curlman, burner and 4 others like this.
    12-10-10 12:10 PM
    Dude, you don't need our help. It's your money. If the 9800 does not blow your hair

Agreed. Never understood why people want random internet peoples opinions on how to spend their money. You have to play with the device yourself to see if you really like it.
    12-10-10 12:15 PM
    I might just replace my signature with your quote ag, if that's okay with you.
    12-10-10 12:15 PM
    I'm really thinking of switching my Torch for a Samsung Captivate. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has switched and liked the Droid setup?

Thanks,
    PotiseUF
    I used the experia x10 for a while and gave up on it. Unless you have Android 2.2 on it you can't voice dial over Bluetooth. I couldn't keep the screen locked while in my pocket. Too many issues with Android. It even dialed 911 while in my pocket.

12-10-10 12:19 PM
    I might just replace my signature with your quote ag, if that's okay with you.
    It's all yours my friend
    12-10-10 12:26 PM
    Battery life not great on the Torch? If you honestly hold that opinion, Android isn't for you. Heck, smart phones may not be for you. I just came back to BB from an iPhone, and my Torch lasts at least 50% longer per charge than the iPhone did. My iPhone lasted me much longer than my wife's Captivate lasts for her, and I am a much heavier user. BlackBerry is known for battery life. If the Torch's battery isn't doing it for you, then you may need to back down a level. Try the Bold or something and see if that works better for you.
    12-10-10 12:43 PM
    Its not so much a help me spend my money but more a what was ur experience? I know a lot of ppl here have tried different phones and I was looking for more than a test run at the store, more of a practical use of the phone instead.
    12-10-10 12:50 PM
    The thing is it WILL NOT MATTER. My or anyone elses likes, dislike, wants, or wishes
    will never square with yours. You have to try the devices and decide for yourself.

Or you can rely on totally subjective opinions of strangers and possibly end up with
    a device that fits their needs but not necessarily YOURS! See my point now?
    12-10-10 12:56 PM
    Clipse I thought that they fixed the GPS issues with the phone? And the battery life isn't that great on the the Torch.

AK - What kind of problems are u talking about?
    No they did not fix it. They enhanced it. Quicker lock time but it won't stay locked. The aria is a better phone IMHO.
    12-10-10 12:56 PM
    asking people here if you should drop the torch is like asking your barber if you need a haircut....
    homer1475 and gots2beme like this.
    12-10-10 12:59 PM
    maybe you should ask that question in an android forums ? chance are you will find people that did switch from blackberry to android. If I were to switch to android, do you really think I will still come here ? I mean I know crackberry is great, but if I don't have a blackberry anymore, why should I come back here ? see my point ?
    12-10-10 01:08 PM

Maybe you have a couple of C-notes to toss away on something that may or may not work for you, but not everybody else does. The OP is simply asking for opinions to help make an informed decision. Considering a: the price of these things, b: some people may need more than 30 days to figure out if they can live with a new device or not, and c: you're probably tied to it for two years, is seeking out opinions such a bad thing? Did you know everything there was to know about the last phone you purchased? Where did you get your information from? I know if I were contemplating such a switch, I don't have time to blindly screw around with something I know absolutely nothing about, and I'd want to get as much input from as many sources as possible. It's not like he came on here asking everybody to tell him which phone to buy.

For chrissakes lighten up.
    12-10-10 01:10 PM
    Where did you get your information from?
    The drivel before and after this aside my answer to this question is simply that
    I did not jump on the internet an solicit opinions from total strangers on a
    completely biased site to help inform my decision.

The fact that you are too broke to perform any sort of due diligence is your
    issue but it does not change the premise of my point.

Lighten that
    12-10-10 01:24 PM
    There is someone on these forums who had a Torch and switched to a Captivate. I forget his name, but he's posted in a recent thread. His opinion might be important to you.
    12-10-10 02:31 PM
    maybe you should ask that question in an android forums ? chance are you will find people that did switch from blackberry to android. If I were to switch to android, do you really think I will still come here ? I mean I know crackberry is great, but if I don't have a blackberry anymore, why should I come back here ? see my point ?
    Apparently you haven't seen all the trolls posting here that don't own a BB, they just come here to incite arguments and offer nothing but senseless drivel, usually due to lack of self-esteem or because of severe personal insecurities.
    12-10-10 03:15 PM
    Look I made the switch recently, I got the torch and loved it! But I was hoping for more.

Here are the issues I had and am working on adjusting too:

Battery life is horrible. I get about 14 hours a charge with my moderate usage but depends on many factors. With everything turned down I get max 18 hours and that includes no sync updates for facebook, email, etc.

Gps works on my phone but does sometimes give errors. Being on the leaked 2.2 and using restore gps released by samsung it is improved. I don't use it much anyway but it would be nice if it was more reliable.

Camera has no flash. Not that the torch had a great flash to begin with but it did its job. Pictures do come out nice and clear but you have to have optimal settings.

No LED notifactions So I have to turn the screen on everytime to check notices.

Typing isn't as accurate as the Torch virtual keyboard. This could be corrected if the allowed adjusting the sensitivity as it is very sensitive to the touch.

No instant email or facebook notifications This is a strong point to Blackberry's: the BIS pushes notifications to your device. Which does two things, one does not keep draining battery to manually check for new messages and two, allows more timely updates so you get messages faster.

Now these were some deciding factors for me as messaging wasn't a big deal to me:

AMOLED screen Images look great on it and streaming HD videos are great. I wish I could say that the Torch compared, but seeing both side by side I can see a huge difference.

Customization. I like having my pages customized the way I want. Each icon in its place and organized so I can find what Im looking for faster.

Browsing the internet. Due in part to the larger screen and faster processor, the browsing experience is great, it loads pages faster and clearer.

You Tube. As stated above, I always had to stream videos on wifi with the torch or I would get constant buffering. I am happy now I can pause the video and it will load the rest and allow me to play it without issue.

Flash It does flash, need I say more? You can load videos without having to go to the mobile you tube site. Also allows webpages to load that have flash in them.

Like others have stated, it really is your decision. You'll have to decide what you hold more important and there are trade-offs to each device, as I hoped to demonstrate above. I really wanted to approach this as neutral as possible, even though I decided to go with the captivate, which I love, you may not have the same needs. If you get the captivate you should be prepared to have GPS issues as there are many with them. The GPS works but can be very inaccurate at times. Also you will want to apply one of the leaked updates, I choose Cognition 2.3b6 and later updated to 2.3b7 from them. The developer of that OS really corrected some of the issues from using the stock OS and 2.2 is just way cooler than 2.1 lol. Plus it contains the Voodoo Lagfix, which what that does is change the file system or to .ext instead of .rfs I believe. The .ext file system allows for faster data storage and retrieval. In other words, the stock captivate is cool, but it would be enjoyed more if it was rooted with a 2.2 update.

Good luck in your decision and don't worry about posting here if you decided to switch as you'll be flamed forever lol.

Last edited by Thanontos; 12-10-10 at 04:03 PM.
    howarmat, lssanjose and hunoosh like this.
    12-10-10 03:37 PM
    He clearly asked people for their opinions after switching.

You can't get weeks of experience from just testing a phone for a couple minutes..

Just let people give him opinions. -_- It doesn't affect you.
    12-10-10 03:38 PM
    Apparently you haven't seen all the trolls posting here that don't own a BB, they just come here to incite arguments and offer nothing but senseless drivel, usually due to lack of self-esteem or because of severe personal insecurities.
    I stick around cause I like the atmosphere! But I like feeling like I helped in someway too. I own both devices and the easiest way to spot troll behavior is they take one side or the other. Never have rational arguments or present valid points and will ALWAYS post statistical data from some random no named guy that doesn't matter, lol.

But if you look at it this way, many crackberry users here could be considered trolls if someone asked for device about another platform/switch as they only care to present the blackberry side, haha.

I know you were not attacking me, but I just like it to be known there are users who still can not use a blackberry but offer help!
    12-10-10 04:11 PM
    Saying that the Torch's screen doesn't compare to the AMOLED is bullcrap it actually is'nt true; the Torch's screen DOES compares to AMOLED, In terms of brightness and Contrast

And the slower Browser is'nt due to the CPU being slower, it's actually caused by latency: the time being spend to encrypt the info send it to the BIS-server Getting the webpage encrypting it sending it back to your phone and decrypting it.

For further information regarding this subject i would like to refer you to:
    BlackBerry Torch 9800 Review: Keeping RIM's Flame Alive - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
    Last edited by Dodger52; 12-10-10 at 04:56 PM.
    Chinookman and iMiiTH like this.
    12-10-10 04:19 PM

Thanks,
    PotiseUF
    I highly recommend you don't get the Captivate. My friend has a Captivate and she is normally coming to me to help he figure out how it works since I currently have the original Droid. It's very buggy in comparison to my outdated Droid. It has random slow downs, downloads don't appear right away, and she has this odd big where the usb symbol always appears in the upper left corner. Even when the device isn't plugged in.

I myself am going to be switching to a Blackberry from my droid when my contract is up. Androids break down over a year of use as mine is starting to do just that. The other day I got repeated error messages that google maps could not open and had to be forced closed every two minutes. Also, I've have a horrible time with email on the device. It's just not built to do email. Don't let any sales person fool you. Also, my device flickers in the browser. Not the screen itself but, black lines flicker in the browser while it loads. It didn't use to a year ago but, it's quickly dying on me.
    12-10-10 04:22 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD