All the sudden my torch out of no where started to lag and freeze every 5 mins and it was driving me absolutely crazy to the point where I felt like ripping the slider right off! lol

I read a post about the 4gb card being the issue, so i copied the entire card to my desktop then Formatted the card and put the card back in completely blank. The torch added all the standard folders back on the card, I plugged the phone back in and copied only my music and pictures back on card and it's working like brand new again.

This worked and cured my lag and freezing issues for my particular problem without removing any software or doing any wipes, or re-installs. The card had a lot of weird hidden BB files on it that must've been the issue. I didn't transfer those files back onto the card and it works like new. I just wanted to share this as a possible cure for others in the future.

Thanks Forum
    11-01-10 05:43 PM
    hmm, i dont get too much noticeable lag but ill give it a shot anyways cuz ive noticed alot of random bb files when sifting through my folders on my sdcard
    11-01-10 08:24 PM
    You could just back it up and format the card while it is in the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-10 09:37 PM
    Interesting find. I've never heard of a media card slowing down the OS. Duly noted.
    11-01-10 11:42 PM
    Good tip I experienced this once on my Storm, and it was with a 'no name' memory card. Now I only use reputable brand names, and I always go with the higher transfer speed memory cards, you'll notice it really speeds up the camera if your saving pics to it.
    11-01-10 11:45 PM
    Hmmmm well this is something ill keep in mind if my phone starts to lag at all.

Currently not having any of those issues though.

I have a sandisk card, I wonder if the quality of the card makes a diff here.

11-02-10 07:15 AM
    Hmmmm well this is something ill keep in mind if my phone starts to lag at all.

Currently not having any of those issues though.

I have a sandisk card, I wonder if the quality of the card makes a diff here.

Sandisk is a good brand name, so is Kingston, Dane Electric, and Lexar in my opinion. I would just avoid the no-name or obvious rip off names. And I really believe in using either a class 4 or class 6, because every little bit of speed helps
    11-02-10 07:21 AM
    Lets see how long it lasts. Just pinching and moving stuff across the screen is not near as smooth as my iPhone 4 due to the lack of processor power.
    11-02-10 07:40 AM
    I just have the card that came with the Torch. I'd like to get a much larger one but until i actually need it I guess i'll hold onto this 4gb a little longer.

I know this little SD format trick isn't the cure-all but for me and the 20-30 seconds of lag/freeze i was having every 4-5 mins it was the trick.

I have my SD card/computer set to show hidden files and I saw all these transparent BB files that i had no idea what they were and they were all over in the first folder.... Copied the entire card and only returned pics and music and changed nothing else about the phone and it worked perfect after that. The card works good, i'm guessing it was just trying to constantly access the card every 4-5 mins and was getting caught up on something.

Glad i tried it.. saved me a wipe and re-install!

Thank you to the member who posted that it was his problem in the search I did.
    11-02-10 01:15 PM
    I'm going to try this. I've been okay with the other problems - clacking screen, somewhat poor call quality - but it started lagging a few days ago and it's driving me insane. Thanks for the tip.
    11-02-10 06:46 PM
    You could just back it up and format the card while it is in the phone.

How do you format the card while it is in the phone???
    12-08-10 09:23 AM
    Option, Device, Storage, press Menu Button, Format, choose media card storage and thats it. Make sure your usb is unplugged cause you will not be able to see Format at all.
    senka81 likes this.
    12-08-10 09:54 AM
    I just have the card that came with the Torch. I'd like to get a much larger one but until i actually need it I guess i'll hold onto this 4gb a little longer.

I know this little SD format trick isn't the cure-all but for me and the 20-30 seconds of lag/freeze i was having every 4-5 mins it was the trick.

I have my SD card/computer set to show hidden files and I saw all these transparent BB files that i had no idea what they were and they were all over in the first folder.... Copied the entire card and only returned pics and music and changed nothing else about the phone and it worked perfect after that. The card works good, i'm guessing it was just trying to constantly access the card every 4-5 mins and was getting caught up on something.

Glad i tried it.. saved me a wipe and re-install!

Thank you to the member who posted that it was his problem in the search I did.
    What's the class number on your micro sd card?
    12-08-10 10:48 AM
    This happened to me. I did a battery pull and everything is fine now. "When in doubt, re-boot" a motto to live by.

12-08-10 11:11 AM
    Interesting find. I've never heard of a media card slowing down the OS. Duly noted.
    Actually, the new windows phones use the media card along side with onboard memory, so once its in, it becomes part of the phones memory, and you won't be able to use it in anything else.... unless you format it..
    12-08-10 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD