I've seen complaints about the lock function not being so great, which I agree with. However, I just test Keyboard Locker FOR NON TOUCH SCREENS and it works fine. I will say, I've only tested the trial version though. Even though the non touch screen version makes me slide the tourch open to hit the * key, I'm OK with that; makes it that much more secure to me.

If anyone tests the version for touch screens, please report back.

Update

The Long:

Summary;

BEIKS Keyboard lock DOES work with the Torch, if loaded from CB, not from BA Store

Non-Touchscreen = *+Talk to unlock
    Touchscreen = lock/unlock to unlock

Both
    Pro = you can change the unlock key to what you desire
    Pro = includes a timer to lock the phone in a desired amount of time
    Pro = the lock icon is present in the running app screen so to quickly lock your device you can hold your BB button for 2 seconds, click the lock and your device is locked.
    CON = There is a setting to "Don't lock while light is on", when this is marked you can not lock the device using the lock icon from the running app screen (as described above).

The Long:

I deleted the trial version from Crackberry and loaded the paid version from the Blackberry App store. The version from BA store DOES NOT WORK! However, I then went back to Crackberry and loaded the TOUCHSCREEN version of the trial again and luckily when I went to validate it must have seen my other attempt from the BA store and it validated. So I'm not out $3.99.

Update on the touchscreen version. When you first install it it uses the standard lock/unlock button instead of *+Talk (like the non touch screen verison). This in its self is kind of useless since I can plainly use the lock/unlock button on my own. I guess the good thing about Keyboard Lock is that you can then set a time frame to have your phone lock, or you can set it to lock when you put it in the holster. However, again, you can change the unlock key that you want to use and, again, I assigned the BB Key as my unlock key, which I find is not as easy to accidentally press and unlock my phone. After 3-4 days of trial I have yet to accidentally press the BB button and unlock the phone.
    Last edited by KahneFan; 08-25-10 at 06:40 PM.
    08-20-10 11:04 AM
    thanks for the update..
    i will try this today.
    08-20-10 11:09 AM
    On the trial version you have to manually click the icon, so I have no idea about the auto lock feature.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-10 11:11 AM
    Update; the timeout does work and I still like it :-)

Also, the settings are under: OPTIONS --> THIRD PARTY APPLICATIONS

And, the last setting is to change your unlock key and I made mine the BB key, so now (with 2 key presses) I can unlock my phone with BB button then Talk, while it's closed.

Last edited by KahneFan; 08-20-10 at 11:46 AM.
    08-20-10 11:30 AM
    Nice to see another lock program being tested. I switched from StormSlider (really liked it, but issues when reminders came up) to Patternlock, but not thrilled about it (works very well, lots of options, but just not crazy about the look no matter how I customize).

I definitely want to know if someone tries the touch screen version.
    08-20-10 11:46 AM
    Note, you can also manually lock it quickly by pressing the BB button for just a few seconds and you will see the LOCK icon and click that to lock your phone in just seconds. You can do this with the slider open or closed.

Now I would actually like to find a way to deactivate the lock key, it's not needed with this app.
    08-21-10 12:32 AM
    you guys are talking about locking the phone right? If you're a real bb user with a non touch screen, turn off dial from home screen and all you need to do is press K to lock the device.
    08-21-10 07:17 AM
    Where did you download it from?
    08-21-10 08:24 AM
    explain that a bit more , Jackal . . . .
    08-21-10 08:46 AM
    you guys are talking about locking the phone right? If you're a real bb user with a non touch screen, turn off dial from home screen and all you need to do is press K to lock the device.
    If I'm not mistaken, even with using "K", hitting the lock button will wake it up again.
    If this is the case, it could still "wake up" by inadvertently hitting the sleep key in your pocket.
    Is turning off dial from home screen>K, different than>A w/out turning that feature off?
    08-21-10 09:23 AM
    08-21-10 11:20 AM
    Do you know if this will show notifications on the home screen when locked?

08-21-10 11:35 AM
    Yes it does. It will tell you to press * then Talk to unlock.

Note, if you go into options and change which key to press, it will still display "Press * then Talk to unlock"... even though that no longer works; so it's kind of like a "secrete code". If someone picks up your phone, they will see the above message, but they will not be able to unlock your phone without knowing what you changed the key to.
    08-21-10 11:43 AM
    NO-NO-NO....why have a screen unlock when you have to open the keyboard and hit the * key? I might as well use the sorry password unlock that came with the phone in the first place.

StormSlider - nice looking screen based unlock but everyone seems to have issues with it on both the free and pay version. Hopefully the same group will make a specific TorchSlider but until then, it isn't ideal.

PatternLock - I've used the free version for the past two days. It has an ugly interface and sometimes it doesn't recognize my swipe too well. It hasn't caused any problems with the phone though and unlike StormSlider it will work if I use the lock button on the top or simply letting the screen fade to off.

Side Note: Palm Pre+ - perfect lock/unlock for a touch screen/keyboard phone.
    08-22-10 12:24 AM
    Beiks Keyboard Locker works great. I set mine to lock my Torch 10 after I hit the sleep key and wake up when I hit the sleep key 3 times.
    It doesn't hide notifications and and prevents pocket dialing. I'll be using it till a Torch spicific lock drops

08-22-10 12:32 AM
    How is this very different from using the password lock that the torch already has installed on it?
    08-22-10 06:59 AM
    How is this very different from using the password lock that the torch already has installed on it?
    if you're referring to my comment, pressing the sleep button 3 times......I don't think that needs explanation.
    08-22-10 08:29 AM
    No, I was speaking a generic way.....I don't see how it's more useful than the password lock already on the phone in some ways.

No, I didn't have a problem with understanding how to press the sleep button 3 times, thanks.
    08-22-10 09:28 AM
    Well....not really sure. I just set the "predefined" @ 10 seconds. That's really the only setting I massed with.

08-23-10 07:38 PM
    No, I was speaking a generic way.....I don't see how it's more useful than the password lock already on the phone in some ways.

No, I didn't have a problem with understanding how to press the sleep button 3 times, thanks.
    (speaking of the non-touch screen version), you have to press *+Talk to unlock the phone. Many people complain that the lock on the top of the phone is easy to depress in your pocket and pocket dial or whatnot... which it is. This program makes it much harder to pocket dial.
    08-23-10 09:34 PM
    NO-NO-NO....why have a screen unlock when you have to open the keyboard and hit the * key? I might as well use the sorry password unlock that came with the phone in the first place.
    You can change the button it takes to unlock the phone. Instead of the default *+talk, I have made mine the BB button. Which, although it is on the face of the phone, I appear to hit much less than the lock button at the top ...actually never in 5 days.
    08-23-10 09:37 PM

Dude...I wasn't trying to be a smart azz.
    I thing you'll agree, pushing the lock button 3 times is a WHOLE lot easier than typing in a password.
    That's the difference.
    Just sayin, man. No disrespect intended.
    08-23-10 09:41 PM
    Pattern lock wins. I like it. Especially if you have issue with the lock button being too sensitive.
    08-24-10 11:07 AM
    Pattern lock wins. I like it. Especially if you have issue with the lock button being too sensitive.
    Pattern lock is nice as well, but you can't see the home screen when you hit the end key, thus, you can't see notifications. If the dots were displayed for drawing your "pattern" and the home screen behind it, I think pattern lock would be MY front runner.
    08-24-10 11:13 AM
    Update

The Long:

Summary;

BEIKS Keyboard lock DOES work with the Torch, if loaded from CB, not from BA Store

Non-Touchscreen = *+Talk to unlock
    Touchscreen = lock/unlock to unlock

Both
    Pro = you can change the unlock key to what you desire
    Pro = includes a timer to lock the phone in a desired amount of time
    Pro = the lock icon is present in the running app screen so to quickly lock your device you can hold your BB button for 2 seconds, click the lock and your device is locked.
    CON = There is a setting to "Don't lock while light is on", when this is marked you can not lock the device using the lock icon from the running app screen (as described above).

The Long:

I deleted the trial version from Crackberry and loaded the paid version from the Blackberry App store. The version from BA store DOES NOT WORK! However, I then went back to Crackberry and loaded the TOUCHSCREEN version of the trial again and luckily when I went to validate it must have seen my other attempt from the BA store and it validated. So I'm not out $3.99.

Update on the touchscreen version. When you first install it it uses the standard lock/unlock button instead of *+Talk (like the non touch screen verison). This in its self is kind of useless since I can plainly use the lock/unlock button on my own. I guess the good thing about Keyboard Lock is that you can then set a time frame to have your phone lock, or you can set it to lock when you put it in the holster. However, again, you can change the unlock key that you want to use and, again, I assigned the BB Key as my unlock key, which I find is not as easy to accidentally press and unlock my phone. After 3-4 days of trial I have yet to accidentally press the BB button and unlock the phone.
    08-25-10 06:39 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD