I am thinking about getting a Torch but I have heard that it should not be compared to the Iphone only to BB's. It is heavy, cumbersome and the virtual keyboard is not good, swiping on the screen is not responsive, not enough Apps.

However, the OS6 is supposed to be fantastic. Does anyone think there will be a new generation of the Torch soon? Or, does anyone know when OS6 may be released for the 9700 and will it make much of difference to the 9700?

Thanks for any input before I spend $$$ because my contract is not up until July, 2011.
    11-14-10 02:51 PM
    Heavy is subjective but I don't find it to be. The keyboard is excellent IMO as is
    screen response. I do find the virtual keyboard to be quite useless.

As for apps, I have no idea where the myth of no BB apps comes from but the 85
    excellent apps on my 9800 belies that.

OS 6 is absolutely a huge step up for RIM and it acquits them quite well.

I was at the same decision point and solved it by keeping the 9700 as a backup
    11-14-10 03:02 PM
    Try the leaked version of OS 6. My friend tried it on his 9700 and he loves it. If you enjoyed the 9700 then you will like the next upgrade to the 9780.

To be honest, even after getting the Torch, I'm still using the trackpad more then the Touchscreen. My real benefit of the Torch is a bigger screen that I can watch youtube video on.
    11-14-10 03:03 PM
    After owning the torch, I didn't think the weight was an issue. I did find the battery life, touch screen and slider to be less than desirable. I learned that I definitely prefer the traditional style of the 9700.
    11-14-10 03:12 PM
    I have the 9800 and I find it solid, heavier than the 9700 but not cumbersome. It has a very nice feel when I hold it.
    I find that all the apps I need are available, with the sole exception of CNN. What I don't find in App World are available elsewhere, such as MeterBerry or Google Maps. So I find what I need - again, with the sole exception of CNN.
    I use the physical keyboard and it is extremely comfortable. I also use the trackpad instead of tapping the screen - I'm not a fan of touchscreens in general if another input option is available. I do elove the new browser, and I love having the larger screen for browsing.

If you are looking for an iPhone replacement, this isn't it. I'm not anti iphone, but given a choice of the two, personally, I would choose the 9800. Which I obviously did!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-10 03:20 PM
    Thanks everyone! Do you think the Torch is worth it to change my 9700?

I am afraid to use the leaked OS6 on my 9700 until it is released. Don't want to mess up my phone. And, is it really that much different on the 9700 since there is no touch screen or virtual keyboard?

Usually, I spring for the new phone and then BB comes out with a newer version of my original one. The big thing on the Torch for me is the larger screen!

"I'm so confused"! I can't make up my mind.
    11-14-10 03:27 PM
    Yes, Torch worth to change 9700. It's a perfect device.
    11-14-10 03:31 PM

I am afraid to use the leaked OS6 on my 9700 until it is released. Don't want to mess up my phone. And, is it really that much different on the 9700 since there is no touch screen or virtual keyboard?

Usually, I spring for the new phone and then BB comes out with a newer version of my original one. The big thing on the Torch for me is the larger screen!

There is little chance of you ruining your 9700 by running a leak. I have ran every respective load out there since the 9k. Only once on the 9k did I have bad enough issues to immediately roll back. That was because that particular leak was carrier geared (no for att). With a little lite reading about what others are seeing, you will be fine.

The first time is the worst because you are not accustomed to all the expected error messages. Just don't touch anything. Get a can of Lysol spray and some towels so you can clean your chair. After that first time, you will know what to look for and many of us are always here in the forums to help.

11-14-10 03:43 PM
    I was at the same decision point and solved it by keeping the 9700 as a backup
    +1 In contrast on OS (.337) I found the touch screen to be responsive. I love my Torch because I have the option to choose how I type! Also I have found a lot of the aplications I come to depend on are avalible on the 9800(unoffically that is)! Just install a storm version of the app, it almost always works. Google is your best friend

11-14-10 03:46 PM
    I find that all the apps I need are available, with the sole exception of CNN.
    What trouble are you having with CNN. There is an Election Center app in
    App World.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 11-14-10 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Dead link
    11-14-10 04:09 PM
    I had the 9700 and thought it was the by far the best BB ever created. I upgraded to the Torch and kinda miss my 9700. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the Torch and OS 6 features, however...speaking for me anyway, I have been using the touch screen keyboard a lot, hoping that at some pont I will get the hang of typing on it. After a several weeks, I still can't type with any speed or accuracry on the touch screen keyboard. I like having the option to use the real keyboard and do from time to time. I have the latest OS and the responsiveness is amazing. If only the SMS bug could get resolved. Anyway, I don't think you can wrong either way. Whether or not you keep the 9700 or upgrade to the Torch, you'll have a great BB.
    11-14-10 04:21 PM
    Get the Torch. I had to switch back to the 9700 for a couple of days, and it drove me nuts because the lack of touch.

11-14-10 06:21 PM
    Once you go Torch, you can never go back. Test drive it for yourself. If it passes your testing and meets your needs, get it and upgrade to v .246. or .337. You will be impressed by the functionality and performance rendered by not only the updated OS but also the interface of the touchscreen, trackpad and keyboard as well as the increased screen real estate and battery life. Just accept the fact that with all the improvements and changes, there are going to be a few minor issues. It is how you deal with and how patient you are with the OS updates that will also determine if this is the device for you. If it is not, then move on and no one can fault you. You are the only one that make these determinations. My 9700 has a nice home with my MIL who was using an 8310 that I got her two years ago.
    11-14-10 08:04 PM
    What trouble are you having with CNN. There is an Election Center app in
    App World.
    Yes, AG, I should have been clearer....I meant that for my 9700 I don't have CNN. It's not in AppWorld and I can't find it on the CNN site.

The on on OS 6 works beautifully.
    11-15-10 02:07 AM
    If only the SMS bug could get resolved. .
    You have an SMS bug? I don't think I've noticed it.
    11-15-10 02:09 AM
    i'm actually considering switching to the torch myself since owning the 9700. one of the major problems on deciding if i should make the jump is complaints of low speaker volume? not to say i'm hearing impaired, but i've always liked a phone that was fairly loud. i'm not sure if the speaker complaints is regarding to the ring volume or actual phone calls. i understand every phone has their bugs and what not, but what is this about an sms bug also? can anyone else elaborate or give some insight on either question?
    11-15-10 04:50 AM
    i'm actually considering switching to the torch myself since owning the 9700. one of the major problems on deciding if i should make the jump is complaints of low speaker volume? not to say i'm hearing impaired, but i've always liked a phone that was fairly loud. i'm not sure if the speaker complaints is regarding to the ring volume or actual phone calls. i understand every phone has their bugs and what not, but what is this about an sms bug also? can anyone else elaborate or give some insight on either question?
    I had a 9700, sold it and got a few other BBs until I finaly got the 9800 and loved it at first.

After a week of usage, I got sick of the keyboard, it is very flat due to id sliding in the phone so it is very hard to type especially if you have owned a 9700 or a Curve before. The virtual keyboard is crap, the touch screen is only good for browsing.

While it has the best screen, the battery life sucks, you can barely make it through the day whereas my 9700's battery easily lasts for 2 days.

5 MP camea, not much difference between it and the 9700 thanks to the 9700 awesome autofocus feature. The only difference is the size, but the 9700's pics are big enough.

Don't let the 512 MB scare you off the 9700, I have a 9700 with OS 6 and it is smooth as **** with FB installed, Windows Live Messenger, Google Maps, Docs2Go, dictionary.com application, berry unit converter. It works man!

The Trackpad on the 9800 is no where as smooth and precise like the 9700 as it is a little bit elevated, while you think that's just a new design, it makes using it not very smooth, you will find your finger sticking at a certain point many times which renders the trackpad being very jerky at times unless you are fine with putting a cloth on the trackpad when using it
    Don't get the 9800 you'll regret it
    11-15-10 05:30 AM
    Wow what an opinion. OP, form you own opinion by testing devices in stores or reading reviews from those that actually test them or have them with the firm intention of keeping whatever device they have in hand long term. You should be reluctant to take advice from somone that changes devices every week unless it is their profession, rolls to a different load constanatly praising each one as their needs see things at that time.

11-15-10 06:20 AM
    The Trackpad on the 9800 is no where as smooth and precise like the 9700 as it is a little bit elevated, while you think that's just a new design, it makes using it not very smooth, you will find your finger sticking at a certain point many times which renders the trackpad being very jerky at times unless you are fine with putting a cloth on the trackpad when using it
    Did you adjust trackpad sensitivity?

My recent BB history has been 9700>9800>9105>9780. I noticed none or littler difference in trackpads. I upgraded from 9700 to 9800 but after 2 whole days my Torch went on eBay. For me it was too big and heavy and touchscreen was not as good as my iPhone 4 and qwerty was not as good as 9700. I then used a 9105 for a few weeks until 9780 was released. The best thing you do will be to try one for yourself, but if you love your 9700 then get a 9780. It is a good upgrade with OS6 and 5MP + better looks with all black. Any review you read will be from 9800 thread where people like it or 9700/9780 threads where people either returned or sold 9800, so you will need to test drive it for yourself, but I think 9780 is the way to go!

11-15-10 06:32 AM
    Wow what an opinion. OP, form you own opinion by testing devices in stores or reading reviews from those that actually test them or have them with the firm intention of keeping whatever device they have in hand long term. You should be reluctant to take advice from somone that changes devices every week unless it is their profession, rolls to a different load constanatly praising each one as their needs see things at that time.

+1. I thought I still smelled pancakes. Testing for yourself is the key. Once you decide the device meets your needs, having perserverance to stick with the device and be accustomed to its features requires effort and commitment. The keyboard is one of the best that I have used including the 9700 and was a factor in selecting the device to replace my 9700 but not the primary reason. It is a bit stiffer and lacks the clackiness of its predecessors like the 9000 and the 9700. Having also owned the 8310, it is not a huge transition. The keyboard is a bit flatter to make room for the slider so that overall thickness of the closed device is not to thick. I am typing all this on a Torch keyboard, the physical one. There are a great many posts that clearly demonstrate other functionality and performance aspects of the Torch that should be considered with more priority than the keyboard.

11-15-10 06:37 AM
    I had a 9700, sold it and got a few other BBs until I finaly got the 9800 and loved it at first.

After a week of usage, I got sick of the keyboard, it is very flat due to id sliding in the phone so it is very hard to type especially if you have owned a 9700 or a Curve before. The virtual keyboard is crap, the touch screen is only good for browsing.

While it has the best screen, the battery life sucks, you can barely make it through the day whereas my 9700's battery easily lasts for 2 days.

5 MP camea, not much difference between it and the 9700 thanks to the 9700 awesome autofocus feature. The only difference is the size, but the 9700's pics are big enough.

Don't let the 512 MB scare you off the 9700, I have a 9700 with OS 6 and it is smooth as **** with FB installed, Windows Live Messenger, Google Maps, Docs2Go, dictionary.com application, berry unit converter. It works man!

Do we really need to pull out all your posts where you say the 9800 is "So much better then my 9700". Personally after reading a few of this guys posts and the crap he posted about rebranding 9700 and reselling them for 2 times the price. I wouldn't believe a word he has to say. He flip flops quicker then my dog begging for a treat.
    11-15-10 06:44 AM
    Just giving my 2 cents, many people have been complaining (or not exactly) about not able to type accurately on the virtual keyboard. Look at things this way - if you put a QWERTY keyboard on the touch screen of a mobile phone, nobody can type on it quickly and accurately, not even on the iPhone. Put it on the iPad/tablet touch screen, and it will work like a charm. Its the size, not the phone.

I bought my first Blackberry - 3 months ago - a Bold 9700. I got hooked. However 3 months later, the Torch caught my eye. I got mine last Monday. Now I can't part with both; I keep the Bold as a backup phone!

All in all, you will love it (the new Torch) and still love your Bold!
    11-15-10 09:47 AM
    I was wondering whether I would like the Torch myself. I was using the Bold 9700 which I had come to love, but when the Torch came out, I was intrigued by the combination of qwerty and touch screen; for me, it was exactly what I was looking for. Unlike many people, I don't like touch-only devices as I can type much faster and more accurately on a physical keyboard.

I got a factory unlocked Torch last week and thought I'd give it a try. While there are some very minor things I had to get used to (slightly smaller keys on the keyboard, lack of a left-side convenience key), all in all, I'm liking it!

The one thing I really miss more than anything from the Bold 9700 is that left-side convenience key; it almost proved to be a deal-breaker for me. In the end, however, I liked the device enough to keep it.

Once I made up my mind, I put my Bold on eBay and it sold in an hour for nearly its full retail price (Of course, it was in mint condition, which always helps!)!

I don't seem to have experienced any of the problems many users have.

11-15-10 10:38 AM
    nobody can type on it quickly and accurately, not even on the iPhone.
    I can text/email pretty quick on my iPhone 4, almost as quick as on 9780, much faster and more accurately than when I used 9800!
    11-15-10 10:57 AM
    Once you go Torch, you can never go back. Test drive it for yourself. If it passes your testing and meets your needs, get it and upgrade to v .246. or .337. You will be impressed by the functionality and performance rendered by not only the updated OS but also the interface of the touchscreen, trackpad and keyboard as well as the increased screen real estate and battery life. Just accept the fact that with all the improvements and changes, there are going to be a few minor issues. It is how you deal with and how patient you are with the OS updates that will also determine if this is the device for you. If it is not, then move on and no one can fault you. You are the only one that make these determinations. My 9700 has a nice home with my MIL who was using an 8310 that I got her two years ago.
    I have been following the Torch forum here on CB since launch day. I tested the Torch in store before getting it last Monday (had a Curve 8900 before). Here's what I found out so far:

1. Wanted to upgrade to touchscreen, happy with it. No complaints - touchscreen is responsive, accurate. Surprisingly, I'm doing good with virtual keyboard too. Default touchscreen settings, haven't tweaked.
    2. Screen resolution - Like it, no complaints here either. I knew what to expect.
    3. Performance - Using .246 out-of-the-box. No lag, no complaints in this category either. Although I usually installed leaked OS on my Curve, waiting for ATT to release a new version for Torch officially to upgrade (I know I know...).
    4. E-mail: BIS e-mail (Gmail) setup was a breeze, push e-mail is working as expected.
    5. Phone/Calls: Low sound on handset & speaker (yet to try hands-free). Speaker is low-sounding compared to my 8900 (for music/videos). One other thing (don't know if others are facing this) - Last night, I was on an international call and the other end was also struggling to hear. Using the same calling-card service as before, never faced this problem on my Curve. I'm hoping it's a one-off thing and I'll not face it again (fingers crossed) - maybe something wrong on their side (?).
    6. Battery life: Have recharged only twice in the last week. I let the battery come all the way down to 10-15% before recharging as that apparently helps especially for a new phone. So battery life is approximately 3 days with very light use. Happy with it.
    7. Hardware: Now, this is where buyer's remorse has started to creep in. The four keys panel (send/menu/back/end) has started to shift, there is light leakage. Also, there is slight wiggle at the bottom (or wobble? IDK what to call) when the slider is closed. Mine is a white phone and the ATT store rep told me this was from a new batch received only around 5th or 6th of Nov. It is a Mexico-4. So, I'm thinking the QC problems haven't completely gone away after all. It is annoying

After using the larger screen for less than a week, I don't see myself going back to a 8900-size screen. The Torch form factor is perfect for me, it's just the wiggle/buttons problem I'm extremely disappointed with.
    11-15-10 11:23 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD