Hey, I am a new blackberry user, and I have just switched from my bold 9700 which I did enjoy, to a 9800.

I really really love it. Everything about it really is great, I haven't found a single thing I dislike.

I also bought the RIM holster, which is pretty great.

My question is, do I absolutely NEED a screen protector if I keep it in the holster at all times? I really hate screen protectors.
    11-05-10 10:29 PM
    Personal choice I would say. I too rock the holster and don't bother with a screen protector. I had a Storm for almost 2 years and never used one on it and never had any issues. I think the only thing you would need to worry about is dropping it on the screen..but if that happens I'm not sure a screen protector would save you anyways.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-10 10:37 PM
    you're good without the screen protector.
    the only reason i'm using one is i really hate the Oil from my face transferring to the screen..
    11-05-10 10:39 PM
    The screen protector that came with my otto box is the best screen protector because I don't even notice it's on my screen.
    11-05-10 10:56 PM
    you're good without the screen protector.
    the only reason i'm using one is i really hate the Oil from my face transferring to the screen..
    Same reason I use one. I keep my torch holstered unless I'm using it so I don't tend to throw the phone in my pocket where it might get scratched by coins or my keys or something.

11-06-10 12:00 AM
    Just get the invisible shield you don't even notice it's on there I've had it on all my devices: htc magic, iphone 3g, 3gs, torch and so many more! It helps avoid scratches and feels great

11-06-10 12:45 AM
    Just get the invisible shield you don't even notice it's on there I've had it on all my devices: htc magic, iphone 3g, 3gs, torch and so many more! It helps avoid scratches and feels great

What is that? pics please?
    11-06-10 01:27 AM
    I have never bothered with protection of any kind (phone) :-) but on the torch I tried the "Best Skins Ever" and you can't even see it. For about $5 you get two and I actually kind of like the feel of it. Also seems to show face and finger goo less for some reason.
    11-06-10 06:58 AM
    Go commando. Just use a wipe designed for computer monitors or the polishing cloth once in a while.

11-06-10 09:29 AM
    I'm gonna get a screen protector for the screen and a nice case to protect the sexy finish on the phone. Whenever I can find out. Stores in canada are lacking with the case situation.

11-06-10 09:56 AM
    I am going without one. From what I read they are very hard to scratch. I had one on my first Torch and you couldn't see it but the screen wasn't as slick so I still knew it was there.
    11-06-10 02:30 PM
    If you keep the phone holstered religiously, it will be fine. the lining of the holster is made of a non-abrasive material that won't wear out the screen/bezel. I may eventually go for an anti-glare protector because I toss it into my pocket without case here and there.
    11-06-10 02:41 PM
    Any test videos online of the torchs screen being scratched. I know there was a ton of then for the ip showing people shake them in ziplock bags with there keys and stuff. Wonder just out durable our screen is

11-06-10 02:45 PM
    I carried my Torch in my pocket for a month with out a screen protector and I was fine. Just make sure everything else was in a different pocket. So I am sure that your holster should be fine.
    11-06-10 02:57 PM
    You shouldn't need a screen protector if you holster it. The main threat to screens is the dust and sand in your pockets that can scratch the screen little by little over time.

11-06-10 04:56 PM
    better safe then sorry I always say. For such a small price its better to not have to worry about it. "OMG did i put that in its holster?" I holster my religiously and still use a screen protector. Ghost Armor is what I prefer, same material as the zagg invisible shield but not as thick and sticky. From touch or look, don't even know it's there, unlike the zagg which tends to have that orange peel look and "sticky" feel.
    11-06-10 05:04 PM
    It really is a great holster, isn't it? the OEM RIM holster is one of the best I've ever seen.
    11-06-10 05:09 PM
    Just get the invisible shield you don't even notice it's on there I've had it on all my devices: htc magic, iphone 3g, 3gs, torch and so many more! It helps avoid scratches and feels great.
    I too use the invisible shield (Zagg) on all my stuff. I also love and have taken advantage of their lifetime replacement guarantee numerous times with no issues or push back from them. I prefer the piece of mind the product gives me. I can throw the phone in my pocket and not worry at all about the screen getting scratched. Best screen protector on the market.

11-06-10 05:12 PM
    If you keep the phone holstered religiously, it will be fine. the lining of the holster is made of a non-abrasive material that won't wear out the screen/bezel.
    The lining itself may not be abrasive, but let dust get in there and now you essentially have a fine sandpaper lining.

11-06-10 05:19 PM
    unlike the zagg which tends to have that orange peel look and "sticky" feel.
    I too was concerened about the inherent "sticky" feel the IS products have, and wasn't sure how that would work with the touchscreen usage. Lucky for me I won a full set via zagg's daily twitter IS giveaways, and I can now say that it's a complete non-issue. If you swipe with a light touch, it's smooth as silk, no resistance whatsoever. And besides, "thicker is better". At least that's what she... er, uh, nevermind.

11-06-10 05:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD