So far so good. im coming from a curve 8320 on t-mob so i have a lot to learn on this phone. Looks like I will have to do my research to find all the threads with the tips and tricks to getting the most out of this phone to suit my style.

Any tips or pointers are appreciated.

TIA
    12-22-10 08:30 AM
    Find a nice theme to get rid of the scrolling tabs. Best thingg you could do IMHO. Enjoy,its an awesome phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    sedalia066 and Harry_Yambag like this.
    12-22-10 08:40 AM
    Same as BBE said, find a theme that does away with the "tabs" on the home screen. Next best tip, press and hold the BB button to switch to and to see what apps are running and shut them down for better battery life.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of people telling you to upgrade the OS to .337. I think most people should get to know the device first, therefore if anything pops up with the new OS they'll know whether it's an OS bug or a faulty device.
    Harry_Yambag likes this.
    12-22-10 08:43 AM
    Cool thanks for the tips guys. When u say the home screen tabs, i assume you meand switching between the "all" and "frequent" etc.? Im usually on point with closing apps. Only thing running right now home, messages, browser, phone, and bbm. I guess those are the ones always running. Im going to stick with .246 til I come across a reason to switch it.

Any suggestions on a theme?
    12-22-10 08:52 AM
    Yes the tabs i was referring to are just those. My personal favorites for themes(all payed unfortunately), Slate and/or Metro by BBT design's, Evo 4G by TDM designs, and currently using a free theme from Pootermobile called Meridian.

All of these themes can be found in the theme section right here on CB.

Blackberry Torch 9800 Themes
    12-22-10 08:57 AM
    Welcome to the Torch family. I continue to be impressed by my phone as the weeks go by. Still tinkering a bit and now running .337 after nuking last week. My fault not the device.

There are several fine themes to be had in the theme section. Like others I recommend losing those stock tabs. http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/pr...aspire-553797/ is my current favorite theme.

A fine free theme is http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/fr...-theme-544741/.

Both have lived on my phone for longer than most themes manage. Both are easy to use and offer lots of options for apps from the main screen.
    Harry_Yambag likes this.
    12-22-10 09:03 AM
    I'm in a similar position here, I feel quite a bit like a fish out of water being on AT&T, as 2011 will have been my 5th year with T-Mobile, I'm trying to remain optimistic about all the criticism about AT&T that are up all over the place, as my experience so far with them has been great, everyone at AT&T I've come in contact with has been super friendly and willing to give 110%, I can't wait until Christmas morning when I get to fire mine up for the first time.
    12-22-10 09:58 AM
    I wonder why so many people say to change themes to get rid of scrolling tabs...I like them the way they are....I would suggest you see how you like everything the way it is before making changes.
    12-22-10 09:58 AM
    I wonder why so many people say to change themes to get rid of scrolling tabs...I like them the way they are....I would suggest you see how you like everything the way it is before making changes.
    Myself personally, I find the tabs to be redundant. It's a nice concept but you could do away with a couple of them, namely frequent, and download, also favorites unless they get it fixed. Also coming from an older BB background you get used to haveing one app screen and using folders to group things together.

Why would I want my same things that are in the "All" tab also be in the "Frequent" tab? Favorites have a tendency to not stay there resulting in several times having to readd them. I also find them not to be very productive.
    12-22-10 11:45 AM
    I agree - while I never actually use the tabs, every theme I've tried without them usually loses some other functionalitythat I really like. I've probably tried about 30 themes, and I keep coming back to stock.

To the OP, welcome to the Torch family. It's definitely different from other BB's, but I think all for the better.

As for AT&T, I've never had an issue with them. I strongly believe that most of the complaints are from and because of iPhone users. From what I've seen, their reception is generally not as good as other phones. My wife has a 3Gs, and we'll frequently be in the same place and I'll have a better voice AND data signal than her. Add to that the strain they put on AT&T's network by their sheer numbers and the kind of data usage they typically eat up (not dissing iPhones here, so no flames please), i think initially AT&T wasn't quite ready for the onslaught. But they've definitely caught up now.

Roundabout way to get to the point: people are gonna b!tch about every carrier for one reason or another. AT&T has been great for me - much better than Verizon - for many years now, both in wireless reliability and customer service. I hope your experience with them is just as good.

Good luck with the new toy!

12-22-10 12:34 PM
    I also made the switch to at&t and got the torch... Just received my phone this past friday and can't put it down... I been with tmobile for 4yrs so we'll see how it goes with at&t... I'm gonna to steal some of the advices here and start looking for a nice theme.

12-22-10 01:50 PM
    I have had the Torch since launch day and have been with AT&T for 16 years. I have never had an issue with their customer service. When I was in the UK this year on business, I had absolutely no problems using my Torch.

Take your time and go through all the menus and options. Try the hardware as well. It will be quite a switch from the Curve. The switch to the touchscreen and trackpad are great hardware upgrades. The new OS 6 offers more customization options and control as well as being more intuitive. The flatter keys will take some getting used to. The new webkit browser with tabbed browsing is a nice improvement.

If you have questions, there is Universal Search on the device itself. There are bound to be posts in this device forum that are helpful as well. Feel free to ask here if there are topics not covered by both.
    12-22-10 02:25 PM
    Cool thanks for the tips guys. When u say the home screen tabs, i assume you meand switching between the "all" and "frequent" etc.? Im usually on point with closing apps. Only thing running right now home, messages, browser, phone, and bbm. I guess those are the ones always running. Im going to stick with .246 til I come across a reason to switch it.

Any suggestions on a theme?
    Welcome to the Torch world. Have you tried the "Stock_Plus" theme from vincetheprince? I'm running it constantly and its simple, user friendly, and wallpaper friendly. All in all I'm very pleased with it on my 9800.

12-22-10 03:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD