I'm coming to it from a BlackBerry Bold 9700, which I have come to like very much.

I'm giving this a chance because I got one free from work and I'm intrigued by the combination touch screen and keyboard. So far, except for a couple of my apps not having OS6 versions yet, and the absence of a convenience key (something I rely very heavily on), I'm impressed.

One thing that's bugging me, though: I really don't like the alert sounds that come with the Torch, I very much prefer my Bold's traditional BB sounds. Is there a way for me to copy them from the Bold and onto the Torch? If not copy, then does anyone know of a place that might happen to have these sounds? I searched before I came here and came up empty (before someone posts a rude remark), so any help is appreciated!
    11-02-10 09:38 PM
    There's a thread on them here that has a .zip containing all the OS5 alerts. I just put them in a directory on my sd card and re-set my profiles to use them.
    11-02-10 09:43 PM
    That's great! Thanks for the info.

You wouldn't happen to know the subject of the thread or a keyword I can use in the search, do you?
    11-02-10 09:50 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...-bb-alerts.zip

I preferr this over the .cod install method because it's less intrusive and does not require any re-install of .cod files after upgrading the OS, since the sdcard is always there.
    11-02-10 09:54 PM
    Got it, thanks! You're a lifesaver!
    11-02-10 09:56 PM
    Since I am viewing the CB mobile version, I can't see your carrier. If your Torch did not ship with OS .246, please update. The combination of the touchscreen, trackpad and keyboard makes for great navigation.

You can load the QL which should mitigate the absence of the left-side convenience key. There will be a bit of a learning curve since the OS 6 menus are organized differently but are more intuitive. The webkit browser with pinch-to-zoom, double-tap and swipe and as well as tabbed browsing. More memory for apps and a better camera as well as 4GB of on-board storage are a plus.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-10 07:40 AM
    Since I am viewing the CB mobile version, I can't see your carrier. If your Torch did not ship with OS .246, please update. The combination of the touchscreen, trackpad and keyboard makes for great navigation.

You can load the QL which should mitigate the absence of the left-side convenience key. There will be a bit of a learning curve since the OS 6 menus are organized differently but are more intuitive. The webkit browser with pinch-to-zoom, double-tap and swipe and as well as tabbed browsing. More memory for apps and a better camera as well as 4GB of on-board storage are a plus.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm on AT&T, and it has .141, which BB Desktop updated it to. So you're saying I should update to .246? What does it add?

As for the QL convenience key, I sacrificed the camera and used that key for it instead. Not the best solution for me, especially since I'm left-handed, but better than nothing, I suppose. I wish there was a way for me to use one of the speed dial buttons for QL, but it won't let me add it.
    11-03-10 01:46 PM
    The speed is much better overall (browser, os responsiveness, etc). Definitely upgrade to .246
    11-03-10 01:54 PM
    I'm downloading it now, but since seeing your message, I've been researching .246 and some of the comments. Tell you the truch, I'm not having any problems with any sluggishness or lag or browser problems. Maybe I'm just lucky on this. A couple of the things that vanish from that build are things I happen to like having, like tapping the top of the screen to have the browser page scroll back to the top, for instance.

I'm keeping an open mind, however. Thanks for the information!
    11-03-10 02:07 PM
    I wish there was a way for me to use one of the speed dial buttons for QL, but it won't let me add it.
    QL has it's own hotkey setup within its own menu, you can assign it to just about any letter key.
    11-03-10 04:16 PM
    I'm downloading it now, but since seeing your message, I've been researching .246 and some of the comments. Tell you the truch, I'm not having any problems with any sluggishness or lag or browser problems. Maybe I'm just lucky on this. A couple of the things that vanish from that build are things I happen to like having, like tapping the top of the screen to have the browser page scroll back to the top, for instance.

I'm keeping an open mind, however. Thanks for the information!
    Install in on your PC. Double-click the loader.exe file and proceed. Do not disconnect until the process is complete. It will seem like it is taking forever but don't worry. It is always good to keep up with the latest technology just like a physician needs to be be current with latest medical literature.
    11-03-10 09:35 PM
    Well, I've upgraded to .246 with no problems. It was a bit of a pain to re-register all of my apps, but no big deal. Thanks for all the help, everybody.
    11-04-10 09:00 PM
    You should notice that the Torch will be a bit snappier and performs better than on the stock OS .141. Leaked OS .337 is now available. I am toying with the idea of updating. If I do, it would be the first leaked OS version for me. I tend to stick to the official releases. Who knows this latest version may end up being released by AT&T soon. From the initial feedback, it seems that it is very solid and stable.
    11-04-10 09:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD