Hey, just got the Torch (I'm a first time BB user) from Rogers a few days ago. Have a couple questions if any of you BB addicts don't mind answering :P

1. Were there 2 versions of the Torch released? I ask this b/c when I first went to pick up my Torch, I got home and noticed some odd things. The PC adapter that came in the box was for an HTC phone (yeah...weird, I know) and the power charger was apparently the "old model" with the fold out prongs, not the new one that is a square block. Also, the Micro SD card inside was only 64MB, not the 4GB that's supposed to be in there. Anyway, I went back in and turns out they gave me a demonstration phone (WTF?) and got a new one. When I turned on the new one I noticed there were more apps pre-loaded onto the phone (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, etc). So yeah, were there two versions of the Torch?

2. Can't seem to turn off the shutter sound on the camera, even when I turn the phone on silent. This is making it very difficult to take stalker pictures of girls at the library from behind the bookshelf.

3. Is there a way to load MS Word or PDF docs from my computer onto the Torch for viewing on the go?

4. What exactly does the "silent" button at the top of the phone do? All I've found out so far is that it pauses music/videos. Is it supposed to turn the phone on "silent mode" or something?

5. This isn't really a question..but I find it odd that the Torch doesn't have a built in radio transmitter and the only way to listen to the radio is thru data...which is really annoying. At least it should have a radio antenna built into the headphones like the Sony Ericsson :S

6. This one may be personal preference, but do you type using the pads of your thumb or your finger nails? I find the keys a lot smaller than the Bold and difficult to type. Maybe I just gotta get used to it.

7. I like the touch keyboard (was a previous iphone user), but is there any way to get rid of the annoying autofill thing when I'm typing?

Sorry for the barrage of noob questions, but thanks in advance to anyone who can answer for me
    12-31-10 11:31 AM
    Hey, just got the Torch (I'm a first time BB user) from Rogers a few days ago. Have a couple questions if any of you BB addicts don't mind answering :P

1. Were there 2 versions of the Torch released? I ask this b/c when I first went to pick up my Torch, I got home and noticed some odd things. The PC adapter that came in the box was for an HTC phone (yeah...weird, I know) and the power charger was apparently the "old model" with the fold out prongs, not the new one that is a square block. Also, the Micro SD card inside was only 64MB, not the 4GB that's supposed to be in there. Anyway, I went back in and turns out they gave me a demonstration phone (WTF?) and got a new one. When I turned on the new one I noticed there were more apps pre-loaded onto the phone (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, etc). So yeah, were there two versions of the Torch?

2. Can't seem to turn off the shutter sound on the camera, even when I turn the phone on silent. This is making it very difficult to take stalker pictures of girls at the library from behind the bookshelf.

3. Is there a way to load MS Word or PDF docs from my computer onto the Torch for viewing on the go?

4. What exactly does the "silent" button at the top of the phone do? All I've found out so far is that it pauses music/videos. Is it supposed to turn the phone on "silent mode" or something?

5. This isn't really a question..but I find it odd that the Torch doesn't have a built in radio transmitter and the only way to listen to the radio is thru data...which is really annoying. At least it should have a radio antenna built into the headphones like the Sony Ericsson :S

6. This one may be personal preference, but do you type using the pads of your thumb or your finger nails? I find the keys a lot smaller than the Bold and difficult to type. Maybe I just gotta get used to it.

7. I like the touch keyboard (was a previous iphone user), but is there any way to get rid of the annoying autofill thing when I'm typing?

Sorry for the barrage of noob questions, but thanks in advance to anyone who can answer for me
    There is only one version of the Torch in three colors. Sounds like where you got this screwed up. Contact them and get the right SD card and charger.

Don't need to load MS Word or excel, In your applications folder is an icon for Documents to Go (word to go, sheet to go, slideshow to go). This enables you to read and edit word excel documents.

The mute button mutes the phone...people can't hear you talk.

To get rid of predictive typing go to options>typing and input>typing. Then set the style for both physical and virtual keyboard to "direct".

I type using my fingertip, not my nail. This is a touchscreen, it is not a pressure sensitive screen. Do the same on my physical keyboard. hey, I'm a guy and don't have long nails.

I would suggest you look online at the blackberry.com sight and pick out your phone and follow the tutorials. Will answer a lot of your questions.
    12-31-10 11:51 AM
    Hi SirJohn, you cannot turn off the shutter sound. However, there is an app called BerryAnnoying that does this effectively. Just use it as your default camera.
    12-31-10 12:10 PM

1. Contact the retailer that sold it to you and get it exchnaged for the right accessories that are suppose to be included. There is no old version and new version its one version seems that the retailer warehouse may have been swapping stuff out.

2. There is no way to turn off the shutter sound without a third party app.

6. I type with my nails as its easier and I find less mistakes. (me and my stubby fingers. )
    12-31-10 12:15 PM
    1. The PC adapter that came in the box was for an HTC phone (yeah...weird, I know) and the power charger was apparently the "old model" with the fold out prongs, not the new one that is a square block. Also, the Micro SD card inside was only 64MB, not the 4GB that's supposed to be in there. Anyway, I went back in and turns out they gave me a demonstration phone (WTF?) and got a new one. When I turned on the new one I noticed there were more apps pre-loaded onto the phone (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, etc). So yeah, were there two versions of the Torch?
    Nope, just one version of the hardware, other than three color options. There are a bunch of apps pre-loaded, so the phone itself is probably ok. It's possible that someone deleted, hid or moved them on the demo you took home the first time.

Can't turn that off ... all phones with cameras are required to have it to curb mischief.

One way to get docs onto your device is to plug it in to your computer. You'll see two new drives show up -- BLACKBERRY1 which is internal memory, and BB-4GB which is the memory card. Open up BB-4GB and go into the Blackberry folder, you'll see a bunch of sub-folders, one of which being Documents. Copy any doc, xls or ppt file you want to view into the Documents subfolder. Docouments to Go is in your Applications folder and will be able to view those file types.

You can also email docs to yourself, but remember that there is an attachment size limit of 3 mb.

When you're on a call, the Mute button silences the mic so the other caller can't hear you. Any other time, it turns the speaker volume to 0.

Oh well ... there are plenty of apps for that!

I kind of use the tips of my thumbs (no nails), which has been working pretty well for me.

'Zackly what newcollector said. I don't like predictive typing myself, because it never, ever correctly 'predicts' what I'm about to type. Off.

No problem with the noob q's ... we all had 'em!!

For other info on the phone, try this link: User Guide - BlackBerry Torch 9800 Smartphone - 6.0

And welcome to the family!
    12-31-10 12:35 PM
    Hi SirJohn, you cannot turn off the shutter sound. However, there is an app called BerryAnnoying that does this effectively. Just use it as your default camera.
    I don't know why, but Berry Annoying doesn't work for me on my 9800 >_<
    12-31-10 03:17 PM
    Quicklaunch (which is a great app by the way) had a "QL Mute" function that would mute the shutter sound in prior versions, but in the version for the Torch that seems to be missing. If I'm wrong about that, someone please correct me.
    12-31-10 05:53 PM
    There is currently no way or third party app that will shut the shutter sound off. There is a proposed law here in the states just for that(anti stalker laws), my guess is RIM decided it was a good idea and implemented it. This has been discussed in length in previous threads.
    01-01-11 06:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD