Hey Y'all,

Just got my Torch this evening and have a few questions.

I cannot surf the internet, set up facebook, or set up my email, I don't know what the problem is.

Also when I am having an SMS conversation, the BBM logo shows up although it is not a BBM - also I have had people send me BBM requests and they dont show up under pending requests

I'm coming from an iPhone 3GS and I am completely lost

The help is much appreciated

Thanks
    Last edited by gamecock425; 12-15-10 at 06:23 PM.
    12-15-10 06:07 PM
    Even though you had a data plan with the iPhone, you will need to change to a "Blackberry specific" Data Plan. BBs handle data differently, and need a proprietary plan.
    12-15-10 06:24 PM
    I did that at the store they set me all up and said i was good to go
    12-15-10 06:25 PM
    Sounds like you might need a good ole battery pull. Fixes most thins most of the time.
    12-15-10 06:28 PM
    Go to :

Manage Connections > Service Status

See if you have BIS(blackberry internet service) connection, should say either AT&T or Wifi. If it says none. Then AT&T hasn't updated your account with BIS service.

What BB logo shows up? the 4 little dots? that means you have BIS connection not a mms/sms message. BBM messages show as 2 people(one blue one grey) with a star next to it. Mms/sms and email all show as envelopes, the sms/mms envelope is slightly skewed while the email one is straight.
    Last edited by homer1475; 12-15-10 at 06:32 PM.
    12-15-10 06:29 PM
    Battery Pull didnt do anything
    12-15-10 06:30 PM
    Hey Y'all,

Just got my Torch this evening and have a few questions.

I cannot surf the internet, set up facebook, or set up my email, I don't know what the problem is.

Also when I am having an SMS conversation, the BBM logo shows up although it is not a BBM - also I have had people send me BBM requests and they dont show up under pending requests

I'm coming from an iPhone 3GS and I am completely lost

The help is much appreciated

Thanks
    Did you go through the "Setup" menu? That's not the "options" menu, but a separate icon . Also, do a battery pull, and don't forget to to connect to the blackberry desktop software and check the updates are done and manage your BB, make sure everything is installed you need.
    12-15-10 06:31 PM
    When you switch from the iphone to a BB you need to make sure that you have subscribed a BB data plan. Make sure your SIM card is placed in the Torch and then register it on the network. Go to Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>Host Routing Table. Open the Host Routing Table tab then click the BB button and choose "Register Now" You will receive a message on the Torch statin that it has been registered on your carrier network.

To set up your email you can log into your carriers BIS site connect the Torch and it will ask you if you want to move a pre existing email account to the Torch, select YES.

Also try on the Torch, Setup>Email Accounts. You will be prompted to enter the email address and password and validate the information. After the email is properly setup, you will get a new email icon on your home screen.

I apologize if I left anything out or provided incorrect information, I'm positive someone will correct and offer a solution.
    12-15-10 06:34 PM
    Sounds like you might need a good ole battery pull. Fixes most thins most of the time.
    While some things can be fixed with a battery pull, it is not a "fix all" Meaning a battery pull will nor register your device on the network, it will not send service books, etc.
    12-15-10 06:36 PM
    Hey I just got back from a different AT&T store and it got all fixed, so now I can fully enjoy my first BlackBerry! I appreciate the responses! thanks
    12-15-10 07:34 PM
    Gamecock, you must be a SC fan. Just want to say welcome and enjoy your Torch!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-10 08:58 PM
    Enjoy your Torch, give Customer service a call and make sure everything is set up properly in terms of your plan
    12-15-10 09:46 PM
    Gamecock, you must be a SC fan. Just want to say welcome and enjoy your Torch!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hahaha Thanks! I go their now, originally from FL but spent every summer in SC and now go to school there!
    12-15-10 11:52 PM
    And as far as what happened my sales person at AT&T didn't switch the service options so my new Torch was still set to my iPhone 3GS plan, went to a different store and had someone else fix the problem, loving my new BlackBerry now! thanks again for the quick responses!
    12-15-10 11:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD