Hello All,

I just got my BB torch yesterday and i absolutely love it. However i am finding that the battery will not last me as long as i would like. I have done research on the forum and there have been some very helpful post that have given me a lot of answers. Also I have had trouble picking out a good case. Now i have read reviews on the Otterbox commuter series but the case looks like it would add too much bulk to my phone. Are there any other cases that you guys would like recommend?

What i look for in a case is that it provides the necessary protection but will also not be too bulky and that it doesn't interfere with any of the phones functionality ( like preventing my phone from sliding up ).

Thank you for your time! Greatly appreciated.
    02-23-11 04:20 PM
    Cases for the phone are a little tricky. I personally don't recommend the otter box. The most solid case for me has been the ATF GRT, but it is rather bulky. For now, I'm using the OEM holster. It will put the phone to sleep to save on battery, and it will help prevent dust from getting in the screen when the phone is not put directly into your pocket.

As for battery life, keep wifi and bluetooth off unless needed, close all superfluous apps and reduce screen brightness to 30 or less. Mine is set to 0 and it's still more than bright enough. Those are just the basics. Another thing you can do is switch to 2G only. I usually do this when I'm out all day and my battery dips below 30%.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Blacklatino and Dingo44 like this.
    02-23-11 04:52 PM
    I recommend the AGF GRT case that Masahiro stated. Been using it for a few months and well worth the money.
    02-23-11 05:00 PM
    Get a AGF GRT its the best case. Check it on youtube it will help you keeping away the loose, clicking, wobble that other case give.

02-23-11 05:48 PM
    I don't use a case, I use the leather pouch. I love it. I have no scratches on my screen (have dropped it twice when not in the pouch). It works like a dream.

I reccommend leaving your phone on 2G unless you're doing heavy internet surfing or downloading something.
    02-23-11 06:30 PM
    To save battery def take off wifi and bluetooth. The best case- I got the platinum case from bestbuy and it is much better then the otterbox case. I also have the zagg screen protector

02-23-11 06:47 PM
    I found that my battery life got better after it was charged several times.

I bought an Otterbox case and returned it the next day. Hated it. Now, I just use a leather holster and I have had no issues at all.

Congrats on your new Torch!
    02-23-11 07:27 PM
    One other thing you can do is make sure your installed os version is 6.0.0.448, or 6.0.0.450. Many users who updated their phones (including myself) have reported improved battery life after the update. Another aspect of the phone which generally sees improvment in these os builds is boot times for the phone. Mine improved quite considerably.

There are lots of threads on the CB forum about where the updates are located, and how to get them installed on your phone. Try it out and see what you think.

In the even shorter term though, turning off bluetooth and wifi, and turning down the screen brightness will really help as other posters above have already mentioned.

02-23-11 09:44 PM
    Sorry it took me sometime to reply. So based on the replies i got i will not be getting the otterbox. I have looked at some pouches and they indeed do look pretty good. However i might just try the leather holster since it seems i will have easy access to my phone. Thank you guys for all of the great input i cant really express how grateful i am.
    02-28-11 11:31 AM
    Sorry it took me sometime to reply. So based on the replies i got i will not be getting the otterbox. I have looked at some pouches and they indeed do look pretty good. However i might just try the leather holster since it seems i will have easy access to my phone. Thank you guys for all of the great input i cant really express how grateful i am.
    You can get the AGF GRT with a holster that looks nice. I have the Seidio Innocase Surface with Holster and it works like a charm. I seem to remember that someone posted that Best Buy has one made by Seidio for about half the price. I got my case and holster at Newegg for $30 something...not trying to promote them, but if you search you can find a good deal.
    02-28-11 11:37 AM
    For the battery issue, I put the screen backlighting to the lowest level, and changed some of the settings for the screen timeout and stuff like that, and my battery lasts me at least a day and a half.

Also, very curious as to why a lot of people don't like the OtterBox? Is it the bulk factor, or that it creates more weight? I can live with that, but I know for a lot of people that would be an issue to carry around all day. However, as far as the "best case" factor, I work as a Ranch Hand and my dad is a power lineman, and we both have OtterBoxes; he dropped his off of a 150ft steel transmission tower, hit concrete, the case broke but there was not a scratch on the phone. Mine was stepped on by a cow (which weighs roughly 1300 lbs), and the case and phone survived just fine. Thats enough evidence for me that I will be purchasing OtterBox products for every one of my phones. Not only that, but their customer service is unmatched; I lived in Colorado right across from their Corporate and Creative/Shipping offices, and when my father first got his iPhone 4, they were just about to release the case for it...he unknowingly asked to see if there was a case he could purchase for it, and without a second thought the secretary handed him a silicone case free of charge, and also took down his name, number and address to send him the iPhone Defender free of charge as well as soon as it came out ($49.99 retail). They also gave me a free case when I had my Palm at that time too. I don't know about you guys, but that's the best I've ever been treated by any company in a very long time; they definitely know how to treat and keep a returning customer.
    02-28-11 01:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD