11-04-10 03:14 PM
35 12
tools
    I bought the paid edition of Vlingo from App World shortly before upgrading to .246. When I suddenly had a battery drain issue, I figured it was the new OS, so I downgraded back to .225. However, I still had the battery drain.

To make a long story short, after tweaking a couple of things I had done just before upgrading to .246 (e.g., using GPS locate on Berry Weather) without success, I uninstalled/archived Vlingo.

Guess what? My battery is back to the beautiful, wonderful life it used to have.

I just emailed Vlingo support. They apparently haven't tested it for battery drain because their most recent report on battery drain and Vlingo came out this past January.

Has anyone else with Vlingo on the Torch experienced this? Note that you won't know if you've had Vlingo installed since you've gotten your Torch. The only way you can tell is if you've had your Torch for a while before installing Vlingo, or if you uninstall Vlingo.
    10-06-10 01:28 PM
    Wow, that was fast, less than a half hour after emailing Vlingo tech support, I got a response:

Hello

Thank you for contacting Vlingo Customer Support.

Our apologies about the poor battery performance, this is caused by a flaw in the new BlackBerry OS which drains the battery when more than one application is running.

We are aware of this issue and are working to improve battery life performance as soon as possible and a permanent solution will be released by RIM.

Best regards,

John
    Vlingo Support

I don't know about any flaw in 6.0 when more than one app is running. Vlingo says it does run in the background , though it doesn't show up on the App Switcher screen. Anyway, at least they're aware of the problem and are working toward a fix (presumably RIM is aware of this "flaw" as well).
    10-06-10 01:48 PM
    And yet a second response from someone else at Vlingo tech support only 15 minutes later.

Hello

Go into Vlingo Options and turn Location Awareness off. This feature checks your GPS location about every 5 minutes. While this should not drain your battery, some users have reported that it does.

Best regards,

Audrey
    Vlingo Support

Whatever the end result here, I'll have to at least say that Vlingo is the most responsive app developer around.
    10-06-10 01:57 PM
    Wow, that's impressive that they responded so quickly, not once, but twice. Kudos to them.

Less impressive is the claim that running more than one app at once drains the battery. Surely at any given time multiple apps are running. I don't think it's possible (and certainly not practical) to even run only a single app.
    10-06-10 02:24 PM
    Wow, that's impressive that they responded so quickly, not once, but twice. Kudos to them.

Less impressive is the claim that running more than one app at once drains the battery. Surely at any given time multiple apps are running. I don't think it's possible (and certainly not practical) to even run only a single app.
    I think the second response may be more accurate. I mean, think about it, if you had an app running in the background that did a GPS check every five minutes -- every five minutes!!! -- wouldn't you think it might have some impact on the battery?

I'm pretty sure that's the problem, and I'll know for sure by tomorrow.
    10-06-10 02:58 PM
    Why in the world was an app like vlingo polling GPS every 5 minutes, considering the app runs 24/7.... That's a dumb mistake.
    10-06-10 05:21 PM
    Very good information, set mine to this and will see how battery life goes. I do miss having my second convince key on the left side of my 9700 that I don't have in my torch.

Accessing the camera is a 2 step approach instead of just one now... grrr
    10-06-10 06:10 PM
    I have no idea why Vlingo even needs GPS at all, let alone needs to check it every 5 minutes.

As for the camera, I put the camera icon as one of the 4 icons available on the home screen. If the icons are complelely hidden, I just hit the convenience key and say "open camera."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-10 07:14 PM
    Hi JasW,

How is the progess of your test?

I can feel the battery drain after install Vlingo as well. I am the Torch OS .246.

Let me know your result so I could decide the purchase or not.

Thanks.
    10-07-10 03:40 AM
    Even with Location Awareness off, I can still see somewhat poorer battery performance with Vlingo installed. I've dropped to 90% since unplugging a little more than two hours ago, when I normally would have only dropped to 95% in the same time with the same usage. In other words, I'm always used to seeing the battery icon completely filled in at this time of the morning, which it is not.

Note that I did go back to .246 last night, so I while one cannot rule out that being the cause, it seems unlikely. I'm going to archive Vlingo again shortly, and monitor battery life again without it.

Vlingo's initial response about a "flaw" in 6.0 is indeed very puzzling, and I wrote them again to inquire about it (and to let them know that turning off Location Awareness still did not solve the problem). It's odd that there would be a "flaw" in 6.0 that is only exposed when Vlingo is installed. Perhaps it has something to do with the way Vlingo is installed and interacts with the OS/runs in the background. It is a unique app, so it's not out of the question that only it exposes this so-called flaw.

EDIT: I would not recommend buying Vlingo for use on the Torch until this problem is addressed unless you don't care much about battery life. This is not the first popular BB app that nominally does run on 6.0, but has problems doing so. Berry Weather is another that comes to mind. Developers should not sell these apps to Torch users until they (and/or RIM) fix whatever bugs are causing these problems.
    Last edited by JasW; 10-07-10 at 07:10 AM.
    10-07-10 07:05 AM
    Even with Location Awareness off, I can still see somewhat poorer battery performance with Vlingo installed. I've dropped to 90% since unplugging a little more than two hours ago, when I normally would have only dropped to 95% in the same time with the same usage. In other words, I'm always used to seeing the battery icon completely filled in at this time of the morning, which it is not.
    Me too, I have pretty fast battery drain. My device usually down to 80% from morning - 8am through 2pm but after install Vlingo, its only take about 2 hours to drop like that.

I would not recommend buying Vlingo for use on the Torch until this problem is addressed unless you don't care much about battery life. This is not the first popular BB app that nominally does run on 6.0, but has problems doing so. Berry Weather is another that comes to mind. Developers should not sell these apps to Torch users until they (and/or RIM) fix whatever bugs are causing these problems
    Thanks for your advice, definately I will purchase Vlingo if this bug will be fixed.
    10-07-10 08:10 AM
    I have a Storm 2 and isolated Vlingo as the issue also - particularly the location (GPS) as the culprit. I have emailed them and have only received their generic response. Any app that constantly checks your location is a bit creepy and not worth having!!
    10-07-10 08:28 AM
    After about four or so hours with Vlingo uninstalled again, I can tell my battery is back to normal, so it wasn't my upgrade back to .246 and there is definitely something in the app causing battery drain that turning off the 5-minute Location Awareness checks doesn't fix.
    10-07-10 11:25 AM
    Thanks JasW. You hit a home run with this one for me. I've been complaining about extreme battery drain and assumed the cause was my having upgraded the OS, but now that you've mentioned it, I first noticed the drain when I installed Vlingo. And I've had location awareness off the entire time, so that is not the culprit.

Now have to decide whether to live with battery drain or remove Vlingo which I use often.

thanks
    10-07-10 01:13 PM
    I also just uninstall Vlingo and my battery solid again. Hope they fix this issue soon.
    10-07-10 01:21 PM
    I don't know about any flaw in 6.0 when more than one app is running. Vlingo says it does run in the background , though it doesn't show up on the App Switcher screen.
    It is up to the developer to add the icon to the 'Ribbon' or App Switcher. Many applications run in the backround, even though they appear not to be...
    10-07-10 01:21 PM
    After about four or so hours with Vlingo uninstalled again, I can tell my battery is back to normal, so it wasn't my upgrade back to .246 and there is definitely something in the app causing battery drain that turning off the 5-minute Location Awareness checks doesn't fix.
    Yeah, I regret moving to .246 because of the increased battery drain. (At least for me and some others as well; there are some who claim their battery life is fine on .246, but I don't believe them ).
    Does this mean you believe us now?
    10-07-10 01:46 PM
    Does this mean you believe us now?
    Ha ha, yeah, I was wrong there. I thought about it at the time but just couldn't believe that it could be Vlingo causing that kind of battery drain. The new OS version was a much more obvious culprit, falsely accused though it turned out to be.
    10-07-10 01:58 PM
    Ha ha, yeah, I was wrong there. I thought about it at the time but just couldn't believe that it could be Vlingo causing that kind of battery drain. The new OS version was a much more obvious culprit, falsely accused though it turned out to be.
    I'm sure we've all been victimized by coincidence at one time or another. Nice work identifying the drain. Hope you're able to once again see that great BB battery life.
    10-07-10 02:07 PM
    Just bought and installed the pay version of Vlingo yesterday. Even with location set to off, my battery appears to drain at 2 times normal. Meterberry shows a 3.8% drain per hour overnight, with nothing else going on. This would normally be in the 1.5% +/- range.
    I guess I will be uninstalling for now as well.
    10-07-10 02:16 PM
    Bummer. I uninstalled Vlingo and my informal test shows that when the Torch is idle (not being used but cellular-BT-WIFI on) that the battery was draining 2.5 times faster with Vlingo installed.

I really love this App. Does anyone know if it causes the same type of battery drain on other BB’s? Or is it just the Torch?
    10-07-10 04:28 PM
    I had it on the 9000 and was ok. I am gonna miss it on my torch, hopefully they fix it soon

10-07-10 04:56 PM
    I got a reply that says that their testing doesn't show a battery drain at all. I have uninstalled and will see if tomorrow is any better

10-07-10 07:53 PM
    Here is a response from Vlingo after I reported it:

Hello

Our testing hasn't shown any significant difference in battery drain simply by installing Vlingo and having it run in the background. Each time you use Vlingo, it does of course take battery power to record and transmit the audio. As with any other application or function on your phone, the more you use it, the more benefit you get from it and the more power it will use.

Best regards,

Since removing Vlingo, MeterBerry shows battery consumption at 1.8% this pm, compared to close to 4% with Vlingo (note that this was overnight without using Vlingo. It was just running in background).
    Last edited by tommoore; 10-07-10 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Add comment
    10-07-10 08:07 PM
    just cancelled my Vlingo subscription. Battery drain (even with GPS off), there's a bug launching BlackBerry maps, and I can't speak into the universal search box... maybe I'll resubscribe when they release the next version.
    10-07-10 09:36 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD