I could be one of the few people out here who switched from an old Palm TREO 650 to a BB STORM1 and still likes the STORM...a lot, despite it's shortfalls. Lack of WIFI and memory leaks being the major ones.
    Having said that, it's time for an upgrade and the Torch looks good to me but many of my friends love the iPHONE of any version. I am primarily a biz user and need email, msg etc and I know IPHONE does those things but the STORM worked better for that than most of the I-3's that I saw in use and the BB sync with MS Office is flawless.
    I think a Torch is something I need to carry for BlackBerry.
    Try to talk me out of it.
    11-16-10 09:33 AM
    I could be one of the few people out here who switched from an old Palm TREO 650 to a BB STORM1 and still likes the STORM...a lot, despite it's shortfalls. Lack of WIFI and memory leaks being the major ones.
    Having said that, it's time for an upgrade and the Torch looks good to me but many of my friends love the iPHONE of any version. I am primarily a biz user and need email, msg etc and I know IPHONE does those things but the STORM worked better for that than most of the I-3's that I saw in use and the BB sync with MS Office is flawless.
    I think a Torch is something I need to carry for BlackBerry.
    Try to talk me out of it.
    Roflmao

Your on a forums full of BB users, why would we try and talk you out of purchasing our favorite product? If you truly want to be talked out of it, try an Iphone forum.
    11-16-10 09:39 AM
    Only because I know that most devices have their strong and weak points!
    If I only read the posts on here about the STORM, I wouldn't have one. Tincans and string is better according to some (-;
    I've been lurking for 2.5 yrs since I got my first BB but decided to get serious to start asking questions.
    Oh yeah....this is a BB vs IPHONE thread so let the vs begin!
    11-16-10 09:46 AM
    People just don't get it, its not a "this phone Vs. that phone". It's what works best for you.

They both have there pro's and con's. No need to rehash whats been posted millions of times in various threads on not only this forum but many others.
    Most adults tend to shy away from threads like this because it simply is a matter of what works best for each individual.
    11-16-10 09:51 AM
    I just might qualify for the adult classification.
    It looks like there are no clear winners. It's what you get used to using. At 57yr old, I'm not as tech savy as anyone on the form so I look for a bit of help from others with a lot more experience.
    11-16-10 09:54 AM
    I just might qualify for the adult classification.
    It looks like there are no clear winners. It's what you get used to using. At 57yr old, I'm not as tech savy as anyone on the form so I look for a bit of help from others with a lot more experience.
    I can understand you there.

Best solution is to go to an AT&T store and try them both out. Like I said they both have their respective pro's and con's, personally only reason I don't own an iphone, I utterly despise itunes. If it wasn't for this fact I might actually try an iphone. A friend owns one and I like the UI and screen, but the itunes thing is a complete deal breaker for me.
    11-16-10 09:57 AM

I just feel more comfortable with my Torch than I ever felt with my iPhone. I know the Torch could not compare with the iPhones graphic capabilities and the extensive app catalog. But I like it for what it does and the Torch really does it well.
    I agree
    I think that the grass is always greener. I had an iphone 4 and got bored and got a HTC Desire. I then had an HTC HD7. I actually like WP7 better then both Android and iOS, but the question is why am I using a torch now ?

Basically the most important thing to me are phone calls, email, messaging, facebook and occasional browsing. Now the Torch is using a webkit browser it is just a far better package for these things then the other phones.
    Not just for battery life but also usability, configurability and mostly reliability.

The great thing about the Torch is that IMHO BB have got the hardware for the Torch right.
    You could argue for higher resolution screen or faster CPU but ultimately they are incremental rather then fundamental.

It does seem that RIM has learnt from the storms and worked out how to keep the reliable BB experience whilst adding another layer, which I think does not get in the way of the BB experience, perhaps just for a few niggles.
    Now that the hardware is right, RIM can really continue to fix and enhance through firmware updates alone.

At the end of the day, the torch is easier to use for me then the other blackberries.
    The fact that you get click on the screen on virtually anything you want is so much quicker and more intuative then non-touch.
    All the other blackberrys seem like stoneage to me now.

On the iphone/Android/HTC HD7, all excellent but the email is just not as reliable, particularly as BB can claw email in areas of intermittant signal by downloading pieces. Wiith Apple/WP7/Android all new emails have to come at once, otherwise the whole thing fails. So at my work reception is very dodgy but the 9800 has no difficultly in getting my email asap. With the iphone I had to go for a walk outside to get my email!!

Finally, I can't understand many of the reviews saying it is complicated. There are many more options then iOS/WP7 (Android ??) but for someone like me this is a positive advantage. Perhaps reviewers are not as clever as they used to be
    catwoman66 likes this.
    11-16-10 09:57 AM
    I agree
    I think that the grass is always greener. I had an iphone 4 and got bored and got a HTC Desire. I then had an HTC HD7. I actually like WP7 better then both Android and iOS, but the question is why am I using a torch now ?

Basically the most important thing to me are phone calls, email, messaging, facebook and occasional browsing. Now the Torch is using a webkit browser it is just a far better package for these things then the other phones.
    Not just for battery life but also usability, configurability and mostly reliability.

The great thing about the Torch is that IMHO BB have got the hardware for the Torch right.
    You could argue for higher resolution screen or faster CPU but ultimately they are incremental rather then fundamental.

It does seem that RIM has learnt from the storms and worked out how to keep the reliable BB experience whilst adding another layer, which I think does not get in the way of the BB experience, perhaps just for a few niggles.
    Now that the hardware is right, RIM can really continue to fix and enhance through firmware updates alone.

At the end of the day, the torch is easier to use for me then the other blackberries.
    The fact that you get click on the screen on virtually anything you want is so much quicker and more intuative then non-touch.
    All the other blackberrys seem like stoneage to me now.

On the iphone/Android/HTC HD7, all excellent but the email is just not as reliable, particularly as BB can claw email in areas of intermittant signal by downloading pieces. Wiith Apple/WP7/Android all new emails have to come at once, otherwise the whole thing fails. So at my work reception is very dodgy but the 9800 has no difficultly in getting my email asap. With the iphone I had to go for a walk outside to get my email!!

Finally, I can't understand many of the reviews saying it is complicated. There are many more options then iOS/WP7 (Android ??) but for someone like me this is a positive advantage. Perhaps reviewers are not as clever as they used to be

All good points in favour of the Torch. I NEED a phone that works and I need email. My clients get annoyed when I can't be reached. I was in the Bahamas on a boat a few weeks ago and only the BB were getting email reliably unles there was also a WIFI signal, (which some couldn't connect to anyways)
    11-16-10 10:36 AM
    Everyone has their "likes" and "dislikes" about this or that phone. I love my curve and have since I bought it two years ago. I have many friends/family who have droids and iPhones. They have plenty of complaints about their phones which I find funny at times because they just had to have them lol. The only complaint I have about mine is not enough on board memory . I have considered the iPhone 4 as it is coming to Verizon next month, but I'm still lovin my bb. I have seen the torch and like it, but have Verizon. Perhaps they'll get a newer bb soon when I'm able to upgrade and I can stay with bb.
    01-24-11 07:16 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD