12-09-10 08:48 PM
54 123
tools
    fun as in messing with the device itself. I fully plan to jump back on the android band wagon just as soon as LTE for verizon is up. I assume the first LTE phone will be a android based phone.
    Then why even bother? You are going to jump ship to downgrade your hardware from the iPhone 4 to the Torch, to then leave the Torch to upgrade to a LTE Android device. That makes absolutely no sense and defies logic. You just either like blowing a lot of money or just don't know what you want.

If you want to mess with the device itself, a jailbroken iPhone allows you to do more than a BB which can only be themed.

Save yourself the time, effort, money and headache and just stick to the iPhone 4 and then upgrade when the LTE Android devices come out. 2-3 more months. The way it sounds, if you get the Torch, you will be sick of it before those devices are even announced.
    12-05-10 05:58 AM
    There's like no point in switching for the torch unless you like bb and the physical keyboard. Maybe dells new win7 phone? Its beast. Microsoft even said what took apple 3 years took them 3 months in the sense to bash them. Dell made 25000 of its employees drop bb and switch to their win7 phone. Must be good?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    MS is also saying whatever they can to make their platform look more desirable. They also left out features Apple got bitched the most at for. But hey, at least you can change the color of your tiles. The Venue Pro is a very nice device, an Android version of it is supposedly in the works.
    12-05-10 06:01 AM
    Dell made 25000 of its employees drop bb and switch to their win7 phone. Must be good?

If you owned a Chrysler dealership..and yet all your employees drove Toyota's..so you decide to make them drive your vehicle..does that make it better?

And to the OP. Only thing you can do is test drive the Torch in store and see if you like it. Are the browser's comparible? No. The only sites that are comparible are mobile sites. IF you do "minimal" browsing as you say..then this may not be an issue. But i think coming from the Retina display and speed of the i4 you'll be dissappointed visually. I do think for messaging and functionality however..the Torch would not dissapoint. Either way sounds like you'll be moving on to something different in a few months time anyways
    jcp007 likes this.
    12-05-10 08:26 AM
    If you owned a Chrysler dealership..and yet all your employees drove Toyota's..so you decide to make them drive your vehicle..does that make it better?

And to the OP. Only thing you can do is test drive the Torch in store and see if you like it. Are the browser's comparible? No. The only sites that are comparible are mobile sites. IF you do "minimal" browsing as you say..then this may not be an issue. But i think coming from the Retina display and speed of the i4 you'll be dissappointed visually. I do think for messaging and functionality however..the Torch would not dissapoint. Either way sounds like you'll be moving on to something different in a few months time anyways
    Personally, I am partial to Honda.

Rickroller is right on the money. By only reading posts in this forum, you are only getting ones that defend a specific platform. It all comes down to what you need your PHONE to do. If it is having a secure messaging platform with decent browsing and social media integration, then the Torch is your best bet. Don't get lost in specs. RIM OS 6 makes maximum use of its 624Mhz processor. Could it have been faster? Could screen resolution be better? Sure they could but that is not the reality of the situation. There are many hardware reasons that make your present device a good one. You need to get off the computer or phone and go to an AT&T store and spend a good hour or so testing a Torch and maybe a Captivate. Then, go home and think about it carefully. Make your decision and good luck on your choice.
    12-05-10 08:45 AM
    Don't understand since you already played with so many phones you must be pretty much know a lot of the positives and negatives of each phone and yet you are here asking people to convince you to convert not to mention you think iphone is perfect...

12-05-10 10:15 AM
    I would pick a 9800 any time of the day over an iPhone.

The iPhone is a nice toy to play with, but comes nowhere near the amazing BB Messenger, email handling, and overall OS usage.
    12-05-10 11:40 AM
    there is nothing cool to do with it. I already jailbroke it, now its just boring.
    i say stick with the iphone since its perfect as u mentioned. In terms of it being boring, this will happen to anything u purchase, the initial lust of a new purchase will eventually fade. If u get the Torch you will say the same thing in a month or so. Best thing to do is try it out.

You will have to see and get what is practical for you. Not whats cool and has the biggest WOW factor.

If WOW and apps is what u need then stick to the iphone......it is cool.
    12-05-10 06:09 PM
    Does the iphone feel more solid, does it have a brilliant screen, does it feel snapier? Yes, yes , yes. That's about it.
    To me the torch is such a better phone in sooo many ways, specially for what I use it.
    The email, not even close.
    Text messaging, please, BB is the pioneer and still on top.
    Social feeds(twitter,facebook) got it.
    Web-browsing: I give it =
    Texting for anything: forget it. I can do so much more with the torch, I even have three different keyboards: physical, virtual and surepress.
    OMG I can keep on n on n on.
    Note: I've had the 3g, 3gs, BB9700, Ip4, and torch.

12-05-10 06:21 PM
    Last BB I had was the storm 1. I then went through the following phones:
    Droid 1 x 3, Palm Pre, Evo, Droid X, Now the iPhone 4. I can't find anything I don't like about the iPhone 4 except that its perfect. I kind of miss being on here, all the leaked/ hybrid os stuff. Is this wierd? What do you guys think.... Should I try trading the iPhone 4 for a torch? Or should I stay with the Iphone 4? Please don't blast me too bad....

If its perfect for you why would you even think about changing? This post really does not make any sense to me.

I dont get why people cannot understand, get a phone that works for what YOU need! dont look a phone that is "better" in the general sense.

You said the Iphone is perfect so stick with it end of story
    Last edited by bosh4life; 12-05-10 at 06:26 PM.
    12-05-10 06:23 PM
    I sold my iPhone4 and am using a Torch now. There is not much wow factor when it comes to the Torch, but it is really nice to use. I wasn't that sure at first, but the more I use it, the more I like it.

You really have to get a phone that you, the end user, likes. If it works for you, then get it, if not, then go with the iPhone4. If you are getting a phone because you want others to think you are hip or trendy, then you are getting it for the wrong reasons. It needs to work for what YOU use it for.
    12-05-10 06:59 PM
    Just like me. I went from a Torch to an iPhone 4. Took me over a week to start to like the iPhone. After I got used to it I was hooked. I didn't use BBM a great deal and my personal and work email is set to push on my iPhone. Get emails instantly like my Torch I had. I jailbroke the iPhone 4 and it is the best thing I did. Don't think I could use an iPhone at stock OS ever again. Do what you feel is right but I would stay with the iPhone since you said it's great.
    12-05-10 07:19 PM
    I had the iPhone 4 returned it got the Captivate then returned that and got the Torch. Out of all 3 the Torch is my favorite, though I do miss stuff from each of the other phones.
    12-05-10 07:36 PM
    i'd say stick to the iphone4 if u feel it is perfect...why risk getting something that may not be what you really want...if your curious about the torch then go and test the demo models in store then make your decision
    12-05-10 09:25 PM
    Thanks for all your responses. I still don't know what i want. I wonder if the torch wil keep me happy until at least July? I might have to run by a att store and check it out today.

12-06-10 06:15 AM
    As someone who uses both BB and iOS I say stick with the iOS... IMHO the iPhone has much more going for it. Don't get me wrong I do really like my BB (despite the archaic avatar pic I'm using the BB Curve 8530 with VZW and OS 5) a lot but out of the two the iPhone is my favorite.

It all depends on what you want to use your device for - both do email, phone, and social networking fairly well although the iPhone IMHO has the edge in that since the apps seem to be more polished but for gaming and flexibility with apps the iPhone is the way to go - there is a wide array of apps to do just about anything and for every paid app there is a free app available (although the free ones tend to lack a feature or two over the paid). For security the BB is the best mobile platform out there and the majority of the devices come with a really good physical keyboard.

If you do wind up getting the Torch and still have your iPhone 4 PM me if you want to sell the iPhone 4. I have an iPhone 3G right now and while it is a really good device it is showing it's age.
    12-06-10 08:12 AM
    I don't play games on my iPhone, and either way I will be dropping att for the lte network on vzw in July. I was just looking for something to mess around with until then.

12-06-10 08:34 AM
    Thanks for all your responses. I still don't know what i want. I wonder if the torch wil keep me happy until at least July? I might have to run by a att store and check it out today.

as you can see on my signature... those are all the phones that i have owned. i didn't bother writing down phones that i only played or phones that my wife owns ( iphone 4)
    having said that.

you're BETTER with an iphone 4 or an LTE android from Verizon. basing on all the posts you made...i can confidently say that the Torch is not for you.. you'll be bored in 2 days.
    The Torch worked for me and i still enjoy it after months of its release.
    this is the same reason why YOU need to get a phone that works for YOU.
    12-06-10 08:45 AM
    Thanks, I do miss the android platform. I like the notification process a lot more on the torch and the android phones then the ip4. I just need something to get me through July when the lte phones are good to go. I like bbm and messing with blackberrys in general. I don't like the lack of a flash on the captivate though. Does the captivate even come with 2.2? All these questions I have in my head lol. I want something fast, efficient, and able to look up meds and scores. Email and texting are important as well as facebook. Thats where I'm at.

12-06-10 09:02 AM
    Thanks, I do miss the android platform. I like the notification process a lot more on the torch and the android phones then the ip4. I just need something to get me through July when the lte phones are good to go. I like bbm and messing with blackberrys in general. I don't like the lack of a flash on the captivate though. Does the captivate even come with 2.2? All these questions I have in my head lol. I want something fast, efficient, and able to look up meds and scores. Email and texting are important as well as facebook. Thats where I'm at.

just my .02 I have the torch ...my wife has the I 4 ...and my kids have the Samsung captivate .......and I can honesty say I have played with them all games , video , programs just whatever kinda of messing with them all and I could not see me using the Sam or I 4 as much as this bb torch

It to me is as close to having my laptop in my pocket as you can get........and I use the phone all day for all kinds for service and its fast almost as fast as my pc s at home and the battery seems good enough for me I use it all day and by the time I get home it still has about 30% left ....as for the screen its not all that bad may not be as good as some but its pretty damn good I think ..........and my brother is a apple freak and after using my bb he took his I 4 back and got the torch also .........good luck on your next choice .......

12-06-10 12:23 PM
    Get you through to July??!! Now I've heard everything. You have an iPhone 4 in your hand but you need something to "get you through". You said the iPhone 4 is perfect, I'm not sure what's better than that? Dude, get another hobby besides filling your sock drawer with used phones.
    12-06-10 12:26 PM
    just my .02 I have the torch ...my wife has the I 4 ...and my kids have the Samsung captivate .......and I can honesty say I have played with them all games , video , programs just whatever kinda of messing with them all and I could not see me using the Sam or I 4 as much as this bb torch

It to me is as close to having my laptop in my pocket as you can get........and I use the phone all day for all kinds for service and its fast almost as fast as my pc s at home and the battery seems good enough for me I use it all day and by the time I get home it still has about 30% left ....as for the screen its not all that bad may not be as good as some but its pretty damn good I think ..........and my brother is a apple freak and after using my bb he took his I 4 back and got the torch also .........good luck on your next choice .......

Well said. Mirrors my experience as well.
    12-06-10 12:45 PM
    noticably different though?
    you gotta remember, crackberry.com's site sucks. way too many ads and images and crap, so you're looking at the absolute extreme, sizewise, and will therefore see the differences a bit more on a test of a site like that. most sites can display a lite or mobile version which works just fine. i had an iphone 4 for awhile, and while it's marginally quicker browserwise, i often times got timeouts because of AT&T's crappy coverage, and it would take several tries to get a webpage to load.

i think the biggest challenge you'll face going from an i4 to a Torch is the downgrade in screen resolution. It's noticeable, especially when you go from one to the other. That's been my biggest hurdle keeping me from the Torch.

Good luck with your decision.
    12-06-10 06:05 PM
    had the curve 8310, loved it (very solid device) ... but felt the need to upgrade, it was getting too old and no 3G on it - it started to suck actually

thought about getting either the iphone (also have ipod Touch so I know what it is all about + voice) or the torch - loved both phones - tested them both , and as many said it depends what you are using it for. both are great devices with the iphone being more "fun"

personally I would never get a phone without a physical keyboard (sms and email), but having the combination of the touch screen and that physical keyboard is GENIUS in my opinion - I never play games (besides xbox360), and follow weather, movies, sports etc. which is perfectly accessible through Blackberry

Torch > Iphone ... for my own needs that is
    Last edited by Loose_Torch_Slider; 12-06-10 at 08:11 PM.
    12-06-10 07:24 PM
    Maybe this will not help but I will post anyway.
    I am an iPhone user who always wanted to have a blackberry
    So I have the iPhone 4 and then when the Torch came out I went and bought one.
    I love them both, I carry them both, I will keep them both.
    Hope this helps.
    12-06-10 08:46 PM
    ^ my thoughts exactly, makes a lot of sense

people just always have to label something 'better' than something else ... blah ... i see this in other topics such as xbox vs ps3 ... honda vs bmw ... this vs. that

they are both great, it's just a preference really, and what is important to you
    12-06-10 09:13 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD