I'm thinking of buying a blackberry torch.

Currently there is a international version on amazon.com
    LINK: Amazon.com: Blackberry Torch 9800 BB9800EUBLK Slider Unlocked Smartphone with 5 MP Camera, 3G, Touchscreen, Wi-Fi and GPS--International Version with No Warranty (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

My question is what is the difference between an unlocked international version and an unlocked version from a provider, like rogers?
    01-08-11 10:20 PM
    Hi and welcome!

Some will say an "international" version will be able to access more of the GSM and HSPA bands than we have in North America, but basically, unlocked is unlocked.

As long as the phone/carrier has a SIM, it will be usable, although on some networks, getting full functionality will require changing some settings.

Note though that a network using CDMA only will NOT work with the Torch.

Also that price is insane. You can get a Torch unlocked for <$20 from any of the unlockers that post here on Crackberry. Don't pay extra for an "unlocked" phone.
    01-08-11 10:55 PM
    Oh,

I was thinking of buying a torch from rogers then get it unlocked, but I don't want to get a data plan for the phone and use it on wifi. But if I do this, I read that many of its apps will be unusable. Would buying an international version of the phone allow me to use the apps on wifi? or would they still be disabled with an international version =/

thanks
    01-09-11 12:55 PM
    Oh,

I was thinking of buying a torch from rogers then get it unlocked, but I don't want to get a data plan for the phone and use it on wifi. But if I do this, I read that many of its apps will be unusable. Would buying an international version of the phone allow me to use the apps on wifi? or would they still be disabled with an international version =/

thanks
    Almost all apps will require you to have a BIS data plan regardless of a North American version or an international version. Also either way I would recommend buying it from Rogers and unlocking it getting an unlocked version is just more expensive with no added benefits
    01-09-11 12:57 PM
    Without a Blackberry specific data plan (BIS) you won't be able to use the full functionality, even over wifi.

Berrys REQUIRE BIS to have full functionality. There's no way around this, even with the so-called International version.
    01-09-11 12:58 PM
    Hi, I recently bought (actually I let someone buy it for me) a Torch in Canada, since I live in Suriname (South America) and the price for a Torch is insane (USD 850). It was unlocked, but I don't see any carrier logo nor the "Torch" sign on the back as other phones where you see "Bold" and "Curve" etc. On stock pictures I do see it, does this mean this phone is not genuine or what??
    If I go to Advanced System Settings - TCP IP, I do see APN: pda.bell.ca

I've attached pics to show what I mean...the area's with red rectangles is what I'm talking about in the stock photo.

Also, how can I keep the chrome trim in top schape (as you can see it already has scuffs (I carry it in an original Blackberry holster).
    01-10-11 05:48 AM
    The "branding" is only on AT&T torch's, does not mean you do not have a genuine article.

If you get people to post that aren't on AT&T you will see there's also say "5.0MP auto focus" and not the word "Torch", as well as the AT&T branding on the front bezel.

My torch also has some minor scuffs on the chrome bezel in the same place yours does and I also carry it in an OEM leather pocket pouch. Only solution for that would be to carry it in a case such as the AGF GRT case, or something that totally covers the phone up.
    01-10-11 05:53 AM
    Sorry for the double post but it just came to mind.....

This "international" torch you bought is simply an unlocked non AT&T torch. Most likely another carriers device that is simply unlocked.
    01-10-11 05:56 AM
    doglaTorch, I'm in Canada, with Virgin Mobile, and I don't have the "Torch" logo or the writing on the bezel. I also don't have any logo on the screen when mine boots up.

Your Torch is the real deal.
    01-10-11 08:54 AM
    I just talked to tech support from Telus today and the guy said something that contradicts whats I heard from this forum. I asked him if I were to buy a Torch without data, would any of the Torch's functions, applications, capabilities that will be unusable. He told me that Telus could create a blackberry profile for me, and if I'm in a wifi zone, I would be able to use everything. =/

Help?
    01-10-11 07:24 PM
    bump!!!!!!!!
    01-13-11 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD