I just came across an interesting and even-handed review of the Torch 9800 vs. the iPhone from an ISP in Saskatchewan Canada. It's not extensive but seems pretty factual and devoid of the typical bias:

BlackBerry Torch 9800 vs Apple iPhone 4 | KSP Technology

/ES
    10-05-10 09:13 AM
    I lawl'd at the "iPHone is definately suited for the Apple fanbois" comment. Somewhat fair comparison..although you can definately tell the author is biased towards RIM..but that can be said for any reviewer. You know they all have their fav's and will always make subtle comparison remarks about them.

But like he said..the ultimate winner is the consumer. Having choice is what it's all about. Hopefully one day we'll see an end to these pissing contests and everyone will just be happy with what they have..but i'm not holding my breath
    10-05-10 09:25 AM
    This review is absolutely biased in favor of BlackBerry.

The Torch wins in the "Processor" and "Browser" categories? Really?

Now, I'm a BlackBerry guy. Love them. The iPhone is not for me. I have, however, used the 3GS and iPhone 4 as well as the Samsung Galaxy S.

Those phones are admittedly snappier and have far "smoother" UIs. They have more powerful processors and it shows with how responsive they are and how they can handle graphics (the 9800 has no graphics acceleration).

Those phones also have faster and smoother WebKit browsers. That is a simple fact. They render pages faster and scroll / zoom / tilt smoother. The 9800's browser is a huge advance over the old BlackBerry browsers and is good enough, but does NOT beat the iPhone's (I wish it did).

The BlackBerry does have several advantages over the iPhone such as multi-tasking (a function of the OS, not processor), FAR superior notification system, hardware & software keyboards, better & faster messaging and enterprise support like no other. This is what the reviewer should have outlined.

Being so biased just makes him lose credibility.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-10 10:10 AM
    Yeah maybe it *is* a teensy-weensy bit biased, but certainly the perspective (from an ISP vs. you and me, Joe Consumer) is fresh.
    10-05-10 10:34 AM
    Wait? The Torch DOES NOT win in browser and processor! I have both.

10-05-10 10:36 AM
    Well, I love my Torch, and as a new "transfer" from the i4, I think I can speak to this with pretty good knowledge of both.

Screen
    Winner: iPhone 4
    No real argument here. I don't find anything inherently wrong with the Torch, but the fact is the retina display is just stunning. I'm planning to either keep my i4 and use it for multimedia (video, playing podcasts in the car, etcetera) or selling it off and buying a new iTouch. The display is just amazing.
    Processor
    Winner: BlackBerry Torch 9800
    All credibility lost here. If he was rating core application performance, maybe, as the Torch is actually faster at opening calendars, email, and contacts than the i4; but to claim the CPU is superior is a fail. It just isn't. The code may be better optimized for some functions, but it ain't a superior CPU no matter how you slice it.
    Browser
    The iPhone 4′s Safari browser was certainly the best on a smartphone up to now, but the BlackBerry Torch 9800′s WebKit browser beats the iPhoneís. Winner: BlackBerry Torch 9800
    The Torch is oodles and gobs better than previous BBs, but this is just...wrong.

Applications

Winner: Apple iPhone 4
    True, but BB is growing, and the key business functions are here. Still, the developer momentum makes this one go to i4.

Keyboard
    Without question, though worth noting is that I find the onscreen keyboard experience on the i4 to be superior. This would be expected though as the Torch's keyboard is still basically first gen.

OS

Winner: Itís a draw
    The one thing worth noting here is that iOS4 is evolutionary, while BBOS6 is revolutionary. As a tech consultant, this means to me we should expect some issues that need to be worked through, and they will be more prevalent on the Torch. The OS is basically brand new, while iOS4 is an enhanced version of one that has been in place for three years. Still, I tend to agree, both are fine operating systems; i just expect some instability until BBOS6 is fully burned in and any major issues have been identified and patched.
    Storage
    Wins on expandability, but the fact that you can get a 32Gig i4 out of the box doesn't exactly make it a slouch. I've read that there are no limits on how big a microSD the Torch will be able to use; I'm not sure that's true, but hopefully it'll pop to 128 once those are available. Expandability is good, but I would ding RIM a bit for only including a 4 GB one.
    Camera
    Winner: Apple iPhone 4
    Yep, hard to argue this one. I like the quality of still photos on the torch, but the color seems a bit faded compared to the i4. When it comes to video, there really is no contest.

Battery life
    From what I have read, this may not be true, as the Torch doesn't align well with the battery performance of past BBs Having said that, the ability to carry an extra battery is a nice factor as well. Ultimately I have to think the Torch wins this one, but the i4 is much better than the previous iPhones.

Verdict:

Having said that, the ultimate winner is you, the consumer. Both phones are great and you just canít go wrong either way!
    Yeah, pretty much agree! Both are fine devices, but primarily support different requirements. It's been said before on the board (forgive me for not attributing properly): the Torch is still a phone with media capabilities, the i4 is primarily a media consumption device that includes phone functions.

Still, they are both great devices, so each person needs to evaluate their specific needs to determine which is the right fit.
    10-05-10 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD