I decided yesterday to try a program called bloc to see if I liked it better than patternlock which i have been using for a few months. After playing around for a bit I decided that although bloc is cool I missed some of the great customization features of patternlock. I was about to change back but noticed that even though bloc runs all the time (which worried me regarding battery life) , my battery life seemed better.
    Well, I have left bloc on until now and i can say, with proof, that my battery has gone from about 5% drawdown an hour to around 1%. My battery was ok before but did run short near the end of busy, long days. Today since 6.30 am I am still at 92%. This is way better than before.

I am sorry to make this story long but my real question is.... can it be patternlock that causes such a difference in battery life. I dont see how it can be coincidence. I want to go back to it but I am really loving this great extra life. I wont have to ever worry about going dead in a day.

Any thoughts on this....

12-28-10 11:18 AM
    Could be. I don't have pattern lock or any weather updates and I can easily go two full days (though I usually charge my phone every night) with heavy texting and web browsing.
    Facebook notifications are the only things other then email that I have pushed to my phone. Twitter I just check every couple hours

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-10 11:44 AM
    It's definitely possible that PatternLock was creating your battery drain issues, While it may seem odd, Small (relatively so) apps like that can actually be a huge CPU/Memory/Battery hog just as much, if not more, than bigger apps like Twitter for BlackBerry and BerryWeather, depending on how they've been coded by their respective developer.

Personally, I'd suggest keeping PatternLock off your device for a few more days, using it like you regularly would, and seeing if you keep this improved battery life, and if so, you know that PatternLock was almost definitely the source of the drain, beyond your regular usage.
    12-28-10 01:00 PM
    Exactly what I intend to do..so far from 6.30 this morn I am still at 89%. This is exceptional for me. I will report in after a few days.
    12-28-10 01:18 PM
    hello friend where you downloaded, it's free send me the link
    12-28-10 02:43 PM
    What app is that that logs ur battery level and temp. ?

12-28-10 03:27 PM
    ^ I use SmartBBattery. Works well.
    12-28-10 03:38 PM
    I agree that some locking tools diminish battery life. Storm slider/berryslider really killed my battery. I usually had 10-15 percent battery by the end of my day and after uninstalling it and using the stock lock I got ended my day with 30 percent roughly.

12-28-10 04:12 PM
    The program is BBmeter. After almost 12 hours of normal use I am now at 80%. I know it depends on use but with patternlock running I was always below 50% with similar use. I think I'll do without it for now.

12-28-10 05:00 PM
    I decided yesterday to try a program called bloc to see if I liked it better than patternlock which i have been using for a few months. After playing around for a bit I decided that although bloc is cool I missed some of the great customization features of patternlock. I was about to change back but noticed that even though bloc runs all the time (which worried me regarding battery life) , my battery life seemed better.
    Well, I have left bloc on until now and i can say, with proof, that my battery has gone from about 5% drawdown an hour to around 1%. My battery was ok before but did run short near the end of busy, long days. Today since 6.30 am I am still at 92%. This is way better than before.

I am sorry to make this story long but my real question is.... can it be patternlock that causes such a difference in battery life. I dont see how it can be coincidence. I want to go back to it but I am really loving this great extra life. I wont have to ever worry about going dead in a day.
    Glad that you noticed the battery efficiency of bLOC.
    bLOC was designed to save battery on a Torch when the phone becomes easily unlock and activated apps. So of course bLOC has to be energy efficient and cannot drain battery else it would be counter productive.
    Every part of the app design is planned, reviewed and tested for energy efficiency.

Would be glad if you could make a review of bLOC from where you downloaded it.

The folks at Risto Mobile Solutions are a BlackBerry Elite Alliance Partner, and have all these while developed apps and sold to regional carriers in southeast asia. They have only been recently repackaging and putting their innovative apps on AppWorld and Mobihand available for general users. You should check out their other apps when released.

Cheers
    12-29-10 11:17 AM
    Nice plug lol. Truthfully I think its great that bLOC doesnt drain my battery but at the same time it is very basic and missing many features I like in patternlock. Hopefully in the future some features will be added.
    Good job for a very basic tool.
    12-29-10 11:37 AM
    My apologies, never meant it to be a plug.
    If it offends you, I will remove the post immediately.

Nevertheless, there are updates and new features in the pipeline, such as Currency Exchange Widgets, User Selectable Themes.

Your kind comments and inputs will definitely be appreciated.
    12-29-10 11:46 AM
    Doesnt bother me at all. Its not about the widgets. It needs a longer lock time. 60 seconds is too short for starters.
    12-29-10 12:44 PM
    Doesnt bother me at all. Its not about the widgets. It needs a longer lock time. 60 seconds is too short for starters.
    There are 2 types of Time Out.

1) When the device is bLOC locked and inactivity in the locked screen. The device then backlight timeout. This setting is controlled by the Time Out setting in the bLOC app. Currently max at 60s.

2) When the device is unlocked state and you just finished using your phone, then the device backlight timeout. This setting is controlled by BB Options, Screen Display, Backlight Timeout. Max is 120s.

Generally for 1) 60s is usually enough. Maybe in our next release will update to 120s, which is the same as BB Screen Display settings.

If your issue is 2) then you might want to check your BB Options.
    12-29-10 01:30 PM
    I liked the App, just didnt like the widgets....just need an app that locks the screen so i can see my own wallpaper and doesn't drain the battery...

Simple :0)
    12-29-10 02:54 PM
    Try SwipeLock. I've been using it instead of PatternLock and there is no abnormal battery drain. I could probably get 2 days out of my battery although I charge every night. Usually never lower than 70% at the end of a 17-18 hour normal usage day.
    12-29-10 04:14 PM
    I have been using Patternlock (paid version) on my Torch since launch day and have had exceptional battery life..on weekends with light usage my battery usage has been aprox .6% per hour according to Meterberry and on weekdays with above average to heavy usage it is about 1.2 to 1.8% per hour so it must have been another app that was causing your battery drain.
    12-29-10 09:02 PM
    I have been using Patternlock (paid version) on my Torch since launch day and have had exceptional battery life..on weekends with light usage my battery usage has been aprox .6% per hour according to Meterberry and on weekdays with above average to heavy usage it is about 1.2 to 1.8% per hour so it must have been another app that was causing your battery drain.
    That is interesting because the only change I made was disabling patternlock. I didn't even uninstall it. My battery life improved substantially. Its been a few days now and it is still much better. I have been going since 5am (almost 19 hrs now) with fairly heavy usage and am at 50%. Compared to my past experience this is exceptional. When I have the patience to experiment I will turn PL back on and compare once more. Thanks for the comments.

12-29-10 10:33 PM
    That is interesting because the only change I made was disabling patternlock. I didn't even uninstall it. My battery life improved substantially. Its been a few days now and it is still much better. I have been going since 5am (almost 19 hrs now) with fairly heavy usage and am at 50%. Compared to my past experience this is exceptional. When I have the patience to experiment I will turn PL back on and compare once more. Thanks for the comments.

That IS interesting...I hope you find what is causing the battery drain. FYI my wife's Torch has Patternlock on it as well and is getting the same great battery life as mine.
    12-29-10 11:55 PM
    youre lucky. my battery drops 1% every 15 minutes. after 12 hrs, my phone would be nearly dead.
    12-30-10 01:21 AM
    youre lucky. my battery drops 1% every 15 minutes. after 12 hrs, my phone would be nearly dead.
    There HAS to be either a bad app or a corrupted database that is causing that kind of battery drain. I would seriously try to isolate the offending app or database because that is NOT normal.
    12-30-10 02:01 AM
    There HAS to be either a bad app or a corrupted database that is causing that kind of battery drain. I would seriously try to isolate the offending app or database because that is NOT normal.
    ive wiped the phone, reinstalled the OS and reinstalled all the apps manually. im unable to locate the draining issue.

the only apps i have are Google Maps, BerryWeather, BB protect, Paypal, Signal Loc, Bloomberg, BBMaps launcher, Pandora, Blueslate Convertor, Crackberry launcher, CaptureIt, Trillian, Ebay, Speedtest, Scoremobile, Bolt, BB meter and Geico.

anyone have these apps create a huge drain for you? and what corrupted database? im considering about rolling back to .246 to see if the OS is the issue.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 12-30-10 at 02:15 AM.
    12-30-10 02:12 AM
    Scoremobile caused problems for my phone until I removed it.
    12-30-10 10:08 AM
    Scoremobile caused problems for my phone until I removed it.
    ScoreMobile will kill your battery only if you leave it updating in the background.
    I have never experienced any battery drain if you have ScoreMobile set up properly and hit "quit" when finished using it.
    12-30-10 10:38 AM
    Never had anything updating in the background and ALWAYS hit quit when I exited as with ALL other programs that I have ever had on all of my Blackberrys over the years including the 3 I use now. I also help a few other BB users at work with their various BBs and this is not the first time that we have had to uninstall ScoreMobile from a phone, but as always YMMV.
    12-31-10 03:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD