Dear Abby,

I think I made a mistake. Please don't hate me for it. I went into my local big box retailer and looked at the Torch side-by-side with my old girl, the Bold 9700. I didn't want to love it. My Bold 9700 is smoothly running with the latest OS6 leak and I thought I had dealt with this strange longing in a mature fashion. The Torch is kind of like forbidden love, made all the more tantalizing by that quality.

Now I have to have one, having now tasted of the forbidden fruit. Frankly I think that RIM is right on the money with the native resolution on the screen not being the eyeball-wrenching resolution of that on other smartphones...many manufacturers trying to out do one another with how many pixels they can cram in per sq. mm. She might not be a shameless hu55y, but she sure reminds me of that fresh-skinned girl next door. Kind of like Betty to Veronica. The bright screen and smooth scrolling are very easy on my eyes and I like the wholesome type anyway. Her battery life might not allow her to go all through the day and over night, but we should all have a good recharge every night anyway. Besides, she'll still look good at the end of my contract while all the others have moved on and become yesterday's infatuation.

I'm in love.

Thankfully Bell Mobility has informed me that I have a next-to-no-$$ upgrade ready for me, so I guess you can figure out the end of this story without peaking at the last paragraph.

Parting is such sweet sorrow. Pass the Torch!

signed,

Soon to be Torch owner.
    12-18-10 07:42 PM
    ..your biggest fan, Stan.
    12-18-10 07:46 PM
    HaHa!
    I hope your new romance is wonderful! Mine was and it's still a match made in heaven.
    12-18-10 07:48 PM
    The forbidden fruit is WP7, iphone or an android.

The 9800 and 9700 are family!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-10 07:49 PM
    It's practically incest. It's good to see the general view of the Torch becoming more favorable the last couple of months. Using the 9800 is unique and does require a couple of weeks before the use is intuitive. After that, the ability to perform so much simultaneously makes it great for business.
    12-18-10 08:08 PM
    I had tears rolling down my face at the end of the story.
    12-18-10 08:27 PM
    Wow, I think I'll never look at my phone the same way again. Makes me feel like I'm cheating on my wife now.
    12-18-10 09:01 PM
    Betty was definately hotter than Veronica
    12-18-10 09:17 PM
    Betty was definately hotter than Veronica
    But both very nailable!
    12-18-10 10:57 PM
    I need a fan, feeling the heat...
    (This might be my favourite post)
    12-18-10 11:26 PM
    Wow, two hilarious posts on this page. Your beefs are totally legit, and truly entertaining! But I need to know....Ginger or Mary-Anne?
    12-18-10 11:46 PM
    Pass the Torch indeed. After my drooling on the 9700 for months ATT made me a fine offer for the Torch. Took a few hours for real love to set in. Now we are inseparable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-10 08:14 AM
    Wow, two hilarious posts on this page. Your beefs are totally legit, and truly entertaining! But I need to know....Ginger or Mary-Anne?
    Definately gotta go with Mary-Anne. She's got that girl next door hotness to her...but you'd definately have to wine and dine her. Ginger however...you know she'd be good to go with nothing but a wink and a smile
    12-19-10 08:22 AM
    My smartphone history includes 3 BB's, a Nokia, and an IP 3Gs. Then came the Torch. Absolutely the best yet!
    12-19-10 08:27 AM
    Yeah, I am in love too. After having five Bolds a year and a half ago I went on a serch for a better phone. I thought that I found it when I went with the iPhone 3GS but gave up on that one as well.

Since my BB Bold, I have tried a Dream (Android), Xperia X1 (Windows), iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, Xperia X10 (Android) and now my Torch. All of them were a complete failure other than the iPhone 3GS. The 3GS fell from grace with all the Steve Jobs crap that you have to deal with.

The Torch is amazingly good (other than the vitual keyboard which IMHO is not as good as the iPhone 3GS).
    12-19-10 08:53 AM
    i had a torch.. left for the iphone 4... came back to the torch... fits my needs perfect... and i like the os over apples... miss the 9700 i had... but touch keys plus real buttons is a very nice working combo...
    12-19-10 10:14 AM
    Great to see this post. I am getting my Torch in a couple of days, and cannot wait. I am currently on android and cannot stand the syncing mess, I have screwed up my contacts by trying to sync with outlook and gmail. I like the Blackberrys interface and ease of syncing. Don't get me wrong, the android is a great phone, but I still miss the Blackberry. Finally converted my husband to a smartphone, and gave him my Blackberry Bold 9700. I am very anxious to get my Torch and start playing. Looking at a couple of os updates, and thinking about trying a hybrid. I haven't had a phone yet, that I have left standard, always have to do some tweaking and get rid of bloat. Glad to know Crackberry will always be there to help.
    12-19-10 02:20 PM
    Tomorrow, if fate should smile on me, I will have the lovely Betty by my side. Veronica, you may be pretty and your dad has lots of money, but it is Betty who has always been there for me.

Torch, I love thee and let me count the ways;
    The hours between us, seem to me like days;
    Your looks beguile me, and now I am quite sure;
    That with you beside me, our love will surely endure.

My eyes may have wandered as my heart has surely done;
    To greener pastures, blue skies; a seeming warm sun;
    But in your embrace the former warming orb does scorch;
    Now clearly I see you there for me; my truest Torch!
    12-19-10 09:34 PM
    OK. So the poem was goofy. It's even sadder when someone replies to their own post, but here goes.

Yes, I purchased a Torch today. Love it. Coming from a 9700, I can honestly say that I'm getting the same solid, swiss watch feeling I had with my stalwart Bold 2. The screen real estate is really nice and exactly the right resolution for messaging (primary role) and light-duty websurfing (secondary). Loving reading my eBooks on this little doll, both on eReader and Kindle.

I used the Device Switch wizard in BlackBerry Desktop Software version 6 and everything moved over flawlessly including my third party apps. Enterprise activation was automatic and went without a hitch too. I run my own BESx.

Purchased an Otterbox Commuter case for it and it's already installed. The rep at the Bell Mobility store installed the screen protector for me immediately after he took the device out of the box and removed the protective film off the screen so it's on flawlessly.

I'm sure I won't be able to add anything new to what's already been said about this device. (probably haven't here, either).
    12-23-10 08:51 PM
    As Ive stated many times, Ive had almost every GSM Berry there is. The 9800 is King (so far). I love the UI of this thing!
    12-23-10 08:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD