This will be my first Blackberry ever so could use some tips!

I've used Symbian, WinMo and Android (not new to smartphones at all).

From what I've been reading, theres 2 main issues which are battery life and the lock screen.

Battery life for me shouldn't be an issue. I'm coming from a Galaxy S and am lucky to get to the afternoon and have over 25%, I've always had to carry a spare.

But what lockscreen alternatives are there?

Any other tips are hugely welcome!

Thanks!
    01-03-11 10:01 AM
    Get a theme if you feel the multiple tabs are redundant... The theme I use is called Slate...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-11 10:04 AM
    Having used Symbian and WinMo before coming to my first BB, the Torch, I would recommend getting familiar with the phone and establish your personal settings for the phone. Look up the 101 Lectures to get yourself up to speed on shortcuts and personalization and where to find things (though it is much easier to get around and personalize than WinMo6.5). Once you have hidden or deleted apps you don't want, and have used the phone for a while, you may not have issues with the battery life (I don't) or with locking the phone (I don't).

Themes can cause bugs in OS6 because it is still in beta with RIM, so I would suggest hold off on that until the bugs get worked out, but to each his own.

The more you use your phone, the more you will begin to see what you are wanting as far as apps. You will enjoy the Torch. Its powerful and efficient for work or play.
    01-03-11 10:17 AM
    Actually, I think that you'll find the Torch's battery life much better than your used to. I still think that a lot of people that complain about it's battery are not closing out of apps, leaving all connections on, have brightness levels maxed out, and are above average multimedia users.
    homer1475 likes this.
    01-03-11 10:20 AM
    I use a great app called PatternLock. You can set it to activate using the lockscreen hardware key - it's been a saviour...
    BlackBerry App World - Search Results for "patternlock"

-There are many threads in this forum discussing this and other similar apps if you want more info.
    01-03-11 10:22 AM
    If you use an OEM holster of some sort there is no need to use a third party app to lock your device from accidental screen presses. The OEM holster for the torch makes you grab the device from the sides to unholster it.

Waste of time and money in my opinion.

Everyone pushes apps like there the holy grail of cell phones. If you know how to use a device then most third party apps are useless.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    01-03-11 10:26 AM
    Use EveryLock..it also supports Torch's slide system.
    Slide down lock, slide up unlock your screen.
    Also cheap.

01-03-11 10:33 AM
    If you use an OEM holster of some sort there is no need to use a third party app to lock your device from accidental screen presses. The OEM holster for the torch makes you grab the device from the sides to unholster it.

Waste of time and money in my opinion.

Everyone pushes apps like there the holy grail of cell phones. If you know how to use a device then most third party apps are useless.
    I don't use a holster, opting to carry in my back pocket. Prior to PatternLock I would constantly hit the lock key (which would in turn unlock my device) and then hit the status bar and turn off my radio. Happened many times...
    Ever since I installed PatterLock it's been smooth sailing.

I agree the holster would take care of this issue, but if you don't like to use them, then a 3rd party app might just be necessary.
    01-03-11 10:42 AM
    Coming from galaxy S? It'd be interesting to read what you think about the device in comparison to some of the higher end alternative OS devices.

As for battery life, I think it's still pretty good compared to most other smartphones out there. Phenomenal battery life on other BB devices spoiled us a bit.

01-03-11 07:46 PM
    I don't use a holster, opting to carry in my back pocket...
    I agree the holster would take care of this issue, but if you don't like to use them, then a 3rd party app might just be necessary.
    Just a note if you don't like a holster on your belt or wherever, there is an OEM pouch for the Torch. It is without the belt clip and top flap. It still has the "sleeper magnets" as well.
    It is very slim and would add negligible bulk. (Unlike the older versions of this from older models, which were much clunkier.)
    Fnord likes this.
    01-03-11 07:55 PM
    Get patternlock.

If you want better battery life run OS .246 instead of .337.

It's a great phone.
    01-03-11 08:01 PM
    I still think that a lot of people that complain about it's battery are not closing out of apps, leaving all connections on, have brightness levels maxed out, and are above average multimedia users.
    I'm sure you're right in many cases. I would consider myself a relatively advanced user.
    -I'm a below-average multimedia user; I use almost no multimedia functions
    -my brightness is set to zero
    -I obsessively close out of apps not in use
    -I have SmartWiFi which only turns on WiFi when I'm near the cell towers where I have WiFi networks, and leaves WiFi off the rest of the time
    -I'm somewhat dissatisfied with my Torch's battery performance

BUT I still love my Torch, and never regret the decision to go with it. I'm now in the habit of plugging in while while driving home and/or at home during dinnertime. That's the extra little bit of juice I need to get through the evening.

I also believe that the battery life will improve drastically as new & improved OS's are released. Many Hybrid OS users rave about the increased battery life. That should give us all hope that a software fix is the answer to this issue.
    01-03-11 08:04 PM
    I finally had to swap out my 8310 Curve after too many drops without a protective case. The curve has been the best phone experience I've had so I wanted to stay w/Blackberry. And, the Desktop Manager software is waaay too easy to backup everything & sync it to a PC.

The Torch however, is DEFINITELY NOT FOR ME. I'm sure some people really like it, but I'm ready to throw it through a window. I have done the tutorials, read all the manuals, and understand how to use just fine.

BUT

It's tooo much trouble. I need a phone I can use on the go, text w/one hand, etc. That's not the torch. It is an extraordinary device w/amazing features. Bio-engineering & Ergonomics is NOT ONE OF THEM.

If you can always use 2 hands, leave it on your desk (without touching it) or get used to gingerly holding it by the edges only, then by all means... it is a great device.

Brand New Torch for Available for Trade - Taking it back to AT&T and paying an additional $100 to to exchange it for a 3G Bold.
    01-03-11 08:18 PM
    Hmm.. I can text with my torch with one hand.. Usage with one hand is also no problem at all..
    01-04-11 12:23 AM
    Just a note if you don't like a holster on your belt or wherever, there is an OEM pouch for the Torch. It is without the belt clip and top flap. It still has the "sleeper magnets" as well.
    It is very slim and would add negligible bulk. (Unlike the older versions of this from older models, which were much clunkier.)
    Thanks for the tip.
    In general I prefer the phone au natural (no skins, cases or covers), but will def look into the new pouch if it's that thin.
    01-04-11 08:45 AM
    get My BB Bat, it's free, and will always inform you on your home screen how many hour left on your battery. Change the brightness of your screen to max 80 (I have mine set to 50 and it's brighter enought for my eyes) no need of the 100 % like the default setting.

waze for a turn by turn (with voice) gps navigator (free)
    01-04-11 09:00 AM
    A simple way to fully password lock the phone is to set a password and press ALT + Enter on the homescreen. A cool (or totally "oh my god, what the ****? NOT cool!!!") thing about the password is that after 10 failed attempts, the phone wipes itself of all data (not sure about media stored on the SD card). This obviously protects at least your personal information if your phone were to get stolen. You just have to watch out if you have children.

Battery life is superb, but it also depends on which network I'm using. 3G will last you all day for sure with regular use. If you won't have access to a charger for a while, however, I'd recommend using 2G. It nearly doubles the battery life. Depending on which carrier you're on (this doesn't seem to be an option for AT&T Torches), you can set the network to "3G Only", or "2G Only". I'd recommend not using the "3G / 2G" option.
    01-04-11 10:37 AM
    This is what I was referring to when i said a holster, The OEM pocket pouch.
    01-04-11 11:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD