Recently signed up with AT&T this year (10 years with T-Mobile before) and got a Bold 9700, then early upgraded to the Captivate and HATE IT but gave it a thorough try. Problem is I am past my 30 day return window. Store said Froyo within the 30 days, didn't happen.

Want the Torch.

Help!
    12-29-10 10:25 PM
    Call AT&T direct & explain you issue, I'm sure they would work out some solution.
    12-29-10 10:33 PM
    Store said Froyo within the 30 days, didn't happen.

What do you mean by Froyo in 30 days? According to Google, Froyo means Frozen yoghurt????

I don't understand what you're trying to say in this thread.
    12-29-10 10:33 PM
    It technically is out... a leak, like BlackBerry OS.

What would FroYo bring that you decided to wait?

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...e-froyo-leaked
    12-29-10 10:39 PM
    Froyo is 'supposed' to resolve the GPS issue and increase battery life by way of the JIT complier, although I have heard that the leaked versions solve neither.

So to me it's a bust. Plus no notification LED is driving me insane. I probably consume more battery life simply waking the phone to check messages that a color LED app like BerryBuzz solves. Had that on the 9700 and swore by it. Flash for the camera isn't that big of a deal.

Also, I am missing calls....bad. The phone is simply not registering calls.....I will get maybe one to two rings then BAM, missed call. Never had that happen with Blackberry.

I was a Nexus One buyer early on and liked it a lot (Google integration is really nice and Android has some promise) but gave up too much moving away from Blackberry, so I went back....I will miss Google turn by turn Nav the most, although on this phone (Captivate) it simply doesn't work when you cannot get a GPS lock.
    12-29-10 10:55 PM
    Froyo is a newer version of the Android OS. Currently the Captivate uses 2.1, aka Eclair. Google likes their desserts
    12-29-10 11:00 PM
    I'm going to try that. My biggest issue is the wife....she will flip with phone #4 in six months....LOL!
    12-29-10 11:03 PM
    sounds like you have a bit of a phone addiction?
    12-29-10 11:39 PM
    I guess you could say that. My problem is I like phones and technology......but LOVE Blackberry more, so it looks like the Torch will marry most of my likes with the fewest amount of dislikes. The BB OS is simply the most customizable one out there, bar none.

The only reason I did not get it before was the display as compared to the Captivate. Damn that superAMOLED screen, it's gorgeous. But as I told a friend, lipstick on a pig.

I'll miss Angry Birds but be grateful to have hours back per day......and no dead leg on the john....LMAO!
    12-29-10 11:45 PM
    I guess you could say that. My problem is I like phones and technology......but LOVE Blackberry more, so it looks like the Torch will marry most of my likes with the fewest amount of dislikes. The BB OS is simply the most customizable one out there, bar none.

The only reason I did not get it before was the display as compared to the Captivate. Damn that superAMOLED screen, it's gorgeous. But as I told a friend, lipstick on a pig.

I'll miss Angry Birds but be grateful to have hours back per day......and no dead leg on the john....LMAO!
    I know what you mean LOL. I also got sucked in by that gorgeous screen but that is about where it ends. I too am trying to dump my Captivate but luckily I also have a Torch which I LOVE!
    12-30-10 12:10 AM
    Recently signed up with AT&T this year (10 years with T-Mobile before) and got a Bold 9700, then early upgraded to the Captivate and HATE IT but gave it a thorough try. Problem is I am past my 30 day return window. Store said Froyo within the 30 days, didn't happen.

Want the Torch.
    Call att and ask for supervisor. Camly explain the issues with the captivate on the GPS and dropped calls and lack of support for the problems. Tell them the store was unable to resolve your problem and that you're barely over the 30 days. Tell them you want to return to a BB and can they help you. Be calm courteous and professional and that you're willing to pay a restock fee. You might be able to get them to get you into a refurb BB Torch. Att is usually willing to work with customers if you have a legit issue which I feel you do. All they can say is no if so sell the Captivate on CL and pick up a used BB to get you by till upgrade time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-10 02:38 AM
    Called and spoke with someone today. Got a supervisor. Have had to deal with T-Mobile for a decade so I was well aware of the routine, but thanks for the update, definitely the right way to do it normally.

Didn't work, though. They said "We have no wiggle room". Offered me a Pearl 3G/Curve 3G at additional cost, said no thank you....why downgrade even further than where I started (Bold 9700)?

They understood but still refused to budge. I told them I was jumping ship to Verizon.

I *really* want to get out of this Captivate, it's driving me insane Missed yet another call today (this one from my wife) so I am about to pop. She will be pissed though, too many phones. She nearly divorced me over the Captivate.

Man, why didn't I simply buy the Torch last month? I was toying with it and decided to go with the Captivate. Stupid superAMOLED screen.
    12-30-10 03:04 PM
    leave well enough alone...
    if it aint broke don't fix it...
    12-30-10 03:11 PM
    Ummm, Dutch, the whole reason for this is that it IS broke(n).
    12-30-10 03:15 PM
    See what the Captivate are selling for on line & what the Torch are going for. You may break even.
    12-30-10 03:25 PM
    See what the Captivate are selling for on line & what the Torch are going for. You may break even.
    Might could work out a trade in the Marketplace.
    12-30-10 03:30 PM
    I kinda on a same boat when i put my 9700 inside my drawer and got the dell streak, i could not stand the suckiness of dell battery then i realized that i dont like android os. so went back to torch but i used my other line upgrade to get the torch.
    why dont you just add a line to get the torch. and disable all the feature on the other line like no text bundle no data plan. the price of the torch on a new line is cheaper now.
    12-30-10 03:56 PM
    Called and spoke with someone today. Got a supervisor. Have had to deal with T-Mobile for a decade so I was well aware of the routine, but thanks for the update, definitely the right way to do it normally.

Didn't work, though. They said "We have no wiggle room". Offered me a Pearl 3G/Curve 3G at additional cost, said no thank you....why downgrade even further than where I started (Bold 9700)?

They understood but still refused to budge. I told them I was jumping ship to Verizon.

I *really* want to get out of this Captivate, it's driving me insane Missed yet another call today (this one from my wife) so I am about to pop. She will be pissed though, too many phones. She nearly divorced me over the Captivate.

Man, why didn't I simply buy the Torch last month? I was toying with it and decided to go with the Captivate. Stupid superAMOLED screen.
    That sucks that they wouldn't get you into the phone you wanted.

That surprises me as AT&Suck is right now offering a refurb Torch for $9.99 on an upgrade or new line. It seems that AT&Suck doesn't want to spend 10 bucks to retain a customer.

I agree with Gomz. Just add a new line, grab a Torch and drop all the services on the old line. Or if you want to jump to Verizon, sell the Captivate on CL or ebay to get the money to buy your way out of the AT&Suck contract. I still think you might be able to get someone to trade you a BB for the Samsung if you list it on CL.

I will agree that the super amoled screen on the Captivate has a way of "captivating" a person (pardon the pun). I loved it when I saw it and almost went for that instead of the Torch. The deal breaker for me was the lack of a physical KB.

One other thing you might try but it will take time is to start swapping the Captivate for warranty. If AT&Suck has to do more than three warranty swaps in a year on the same device, they will offer you another device of your choice.

Tell them the GPS is messed up and get a replacement, wait a month and get another one, and so on, and so on. Then call and tell them you're sick of the defective GPS or whatever and to switch to a different device.

Good luck
    12-30-10 06:45 PM
    Uh hmmm. This has been discussed many times. A simple search would have picked this up. Domestic carriers have a simple policy per contract when outside the 30 day remorse period. Go to any corporate store and ask to do a "one time exception". You will get a new phone at the 2 year contract price and in the case of att, add an additional $75 USD fee. This will also renew your contract but if just outside the first 30 days, no big deal...

You can then just sell or do anything you like to the old device.

Last edited by shansmi; 12-30-10 at 08:00 PM.
    12-30-10 07:57 PM
    Return the Captivate as a Warranty for the dropped call issues... Then return the one they send you and keep returning it... I believe after 3-4 exchanges, they give you the option to pick a new device...
    12-30-10 11:30 PM
    Called again, took five minutes, walked out with a BRAND NEW Torch at no charge for anything.

SWEET!!!
    01-02-11 07:52 PM
    Called again, took five minutes, walked out with a BRAND NEW Torch at no charge for anything.

SWEET!!!
    That's great. Enjoy the 9800. BTW did you return the Captivate?

01-02-11 08:15 PM
    Nice! take care of your torch and enjoy it, start filling up some apps man!
    01-02-11 08:22 PM

SWEET!!!
    Very nice, don't fall for that sexy captivate screen again! Lol welcome back to the crack!

01-02-11 08:27 PM

SWEET!!!
    thats great howd you do it ?
    01-02-11 11:00 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD