02-09-11 11:43 AM
41 12
tools
    I think it is wrong for children to be introduced to such expensive toys at an early stage.

I sometimes walk in the mall and fine little kidsd holding 2 phones at the same time, a BB and an iPhone.

But hey, that's just me, nothing REALLY wrong with having it. I just wouldn't want my kid to be exposed to such expensive toys early in his life.
    01-27-11 01:38 AM
    Im 14 years old, and I have a blackberry torch, I just wanted everyones opinion. Is it weird that I have a torch abd im 14, i had a bold before, and a curve before that. and an iphone before that! and i just like blackberry's, i like facebook apps, and i like BBMing. But i just wanted other opinions. Is it weird that I have a torch at my age?
    What's weird is that you posted this.
    01-27-11 11:15 AM
    ^ Thank You!
    01-27-11 12:16 PM
    are you looking for appreciation from others or confirmation that you did a great thing using a blackberry? just use what you like...why ask others if they think it is weird or not. Will you stop using it if I said ....**** yeah it is weird?
    01-27-11 02:21 PM
    I almost don't belong in this conversation, but I'm gonna stick my two cents in it anyway.

When I was growing up, cell phones were about the size of a shoe box and something you'd very rarely see outside of a sci fi movie. But even if they were around, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten one -- not a high-end smart phone, anyway -- until I could afford to pay for it and a plan myself, which wouldn't have been until I was at least 16. And even then it probably would only have been whatever was free with a 2-year plan.

Now I've got two kids (rentals, actually, they're my wife's), 17 and 20. They've had basic dumb flip phones since they were 16 each. My wife's idea, but I agreed because it would be good for them to have for an emergency or if they ever needed to get hold of us. But in my opinion they both abuse the crap out of them. The older one used up all my minutes and ran up about $120 on my bill one month; at some point the wife got the younger one a messaging feature phone and since then racks up over 4,000 texts every month. The older one thought he'd be a smart-azz and get his own plan with his then girlfriend, who he dumped shortly after and now has a $50+ phone bill every month instead of the freebie he had on my plan, all because he didn't want to have to stay off of his friggin' phone. But I don't care because I'm not paying for it any more. The other one, the habitual texter, luckily is a good student, otherwise I'd have shut her off long ago.

4,000 text messages, plus endless hours huddled over the laptop on facebook, this is no way for kids to be growing up. As for smart phones, why? What do you do at 14 that you need a $200 phone for? Or in the OP's case, it's gotta be closer to $500 or $600 ... several of them ... with all the phones he's listed, there's no way there were all gotten on a contract. Your parents got that kind of money to burn? I don't. And if I did, I'd be putting it away for their education. My question is, what kind of message is it sending kids to just buy them whatever they want that looks cool on TV this week no matter what the cost? Too many kids are growing up today thinking the world owes them a handout because mommy and daddy always bought them everything they wanted. It's just not how I was brought up.

Ok, flame suit on; fire away.
    01-27-11 02:23 PM
    ^ Don't forget when we were younger and the cellular 'bag phone' came out, most people wouldn't dream of spending the amount of money that they cost. Making a phone call on one back then cost about an arm and half a leg.

I am in general agreement you. My concern is with regard to entitlement issues, need vs wants and how kids are being raised these days.
    We have a difficult time raising our 11 ,13 and 15 year old children with respect to modern tech and the differences from what we knew growing up.
    We often find ourselves getting to the point where we just disable the Internet and take away there phones and video games for a short period of time, to remind them that there are other things to do with their lives. When its all said and done, they actually appreciate the little reminders.

Kids having expensive smartphones/plans isn't a concern, to me, provided they have a sense of responsibility and that having it does not put a strain on a families finances.

EDIT:
    P.S. I could afford to buy them any phone but they have used dumb phones, are on $20/mo pay as you go plans with unlimited text. They each pay half the monthly fee from their allowance. They understand that without their half they will not have the phone for the month.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 01-27-11 at 02:50 PM.
    CASH likes this.
    01-27-11 02:46 PM
    ^ Yes. Kids need to have a sense of responsibility but also a sense of respect for others. Unfortunately, I know quite a few who text or email right in the middle of a conversation with someone and then totally ignore the person in front of them. Instant communication can be helpful and needed at times but not at the expense of common decency. So technology is great, no problem, as long as it doesn't trump basic knowledge and respect for those around you.

Or... I could be wrong with that and it's my own annoyance. Either way....

For myself - I got my first cell phone when I was 24 and was commuting into the city in an unreliable car. That was only 6 years ago so I'm not one who's had a cell for over a decade, starting in my early teens!
    01-27-11 03:24 PM
    ^ Don't forget when we were younger and the cellular 'bag phone' came out, most people wouldn't dream of spending the amount of money that they cost. Making a phone call on one back then cost about an arm and half a leg.

I am in general agreement you. My concern is with regard to entitlement issues, need vs wants and how kids are being raised these days.
    We have a difficult time raising our 11 ,13 and 15 year old children with respect to modern tech and the differences from what we knew growing up.
    We often find ourselves getting to the point where we just disable the Internet and take away there phones and video games for a short period of time, to remind them that there are other things to do with their lives. When its all said and done, they actually appreciate the little reminders.

Kids having expensive smartphones/plans isn't a concern, to me, provided they have a sense of responsibility and that having it does not put a strain on a families finances.

EDIT:
    P.S. I could afford to buy them any phone but they have used dumb phones, are on $20/mo pay as you go plans with unlimited text. They each pay half the monthly fee from their allowance. They understand that without their half they will not have the phone for the month.
    LOL!! I was in my 30's when I got a bag phone!

But there ya go ... you're teaching them a sense of responsibility, and you put rules in place that they have to live within. Very important life lesson that a lot of kids never get. Sometimes I wonder if mine get it.

^ Yes. Kids need to have a sense of responsibility but also a sense of respect for others. Unfortunately, I know quite a few who text or email right in the middle of a conversation with someone and then totally ignore the person in front of them. Instant communication can be helpful and needed at times but not at the expense of common decency. So technology is great, no problem, as long as it doesn't trump basic knowledge and respect for those around you.

Or... I could be wrong with that and it's my own annoyance. Either way....

For myself - I got my first cell phone when I was 24 and was commuting into the city in an unreliable car. That was only 6 years ago so I'm not one who's had a cell for over a decade, starting in my early teens!
    Definitely not your own annoyance. Many times we have to 'remind' #2 child how rude it is to be texting while in the company of others. It took her awhile, but she eventually learned not to take the #@%^ phone to the dinner table. I couldn't agree more with all of your points.
    01-27-11 04:33 PM
    No big deal. My 3 year old has a curve 8320 and will have a Bold 9000 as soon as my torch comes in. He just wont have a sim card.
    01-27-11 05:05 PM
    I have 3 daughters... ages 13,12,11 and all 3 of them use a Blackberry. They pay their own monthly dues with their allowances. Teaching kids to be responsible in an early stage is a good thing in my book. In short, you got your Torch use it wisely.
    You've earned it!
    01-27-11 06:07 PM
    you're 14 and you have a smartphone = that's ok! nothing wrong with that.
    you're 14 and you have a beer = that's wrong
    you're 14 and you have a cigarette = that's wrong
    you're 14 and you have a beer = that's not wrong
    coles-torch likes this.
    01-27-11 06:29 PM
    I wouldn't buy my kid a smartphone. They're not toys. Well, not all of them anyway
    Ditto. I had my first cell phone at 16 and I paid for my plan as soon as I got a part time job while in college (CEGEP here, equivalent to grade 12 and first year of college). I'm not saying everyone has to follow that example, but I remember cell phones only becoming popular among my classmates in grade 10 (14-15 years old).

I don't have a problem with 14 if the kid understands the real value of it, understands what it really costs to own it (it's not the $50, but $50 per month after that). I disagree with giving an 11 or 12 year old a phone and paying for it, regardless of chores around the house. What part of their lives could possibly be enriched by having a phone on them? They go to school and come home. In that respect, some of us disagree.

Regardless, raise your kids right, with the right values, and it doesn't matter what they have in their hands. That's what I've always believed

Now, the OP asked if it's weird that he/she's 14 and has a Torch? No. But if you really want to challenge life, tell your parents you want to pay part, half, or all of the monthly plan costs. Get a part time job and see what it's like. It doesn't have to be set in stone but you'll get a real taste of REAL responsibility, and you'll take that much better care of it knowing you're paying the full value of the phone.
    01-27-11 08:16 PM
    OP said he bought his own phones and has a job, so I don't get the criticism. As far as being 14 with a Torch, I don't see anything wrong with it. I didn't get my own phone until I was 16, but kids are growing up faster these days. Is a smart phone for a 14 year old necessary? No. But is it wrong? I think that depends on the individual. Can't generalize and just say one can or can't have a certain phone at a certain age.
    01-27-11 11:24 PM
    trolled.... and Mark, aint nothing wrong with beers as a teen!
    who didnt drink beers in high shool
    Uhm, I didn't.
    01-28-11 01:35 AM
    will you use it as a weapon?
    01-28-11 06:45 AM
    you're 14 and you have a beer = that's not wrong
    here in the United States of America, the legal drinking age is 21.
    when did New York lowered the age?
    when i saw New York in your location.. i was quick to jump that it's NY, USA
    my bad..
    but i guess it's a New York that's not in North America.

FYI : it's not just the 14 yr old who's breaking the LAW, but also the adult who's allowing that to happen.
    02-09-11 11:43 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD