I'm a loyal blackberry user...have used one for years. I was WAY excited to learn about the torch because the screen on the tour was too small and was frustrating. But the results fell short for me.

It seems like every time I touch the phone the settings change somehow...as if it was just way too sensitive. Plus the processor was sluggish, calls kept dropping, it was a bit of a nightmare.

So, taking it back, going back to my bold 9000, and hoping that a newer version will come out that will be better suited.

A great idea, no doubt, but it fell short in terms of engineering as far as I'm concerned...
    09-14-10 03:49 PM
    So why post about it? Did u update the OS? And u have the same processor in your 9000.

To each his own. You use what's best for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-10 03:56 PM
    You're in the minority around here. I love my Torch. You should give the .225 upgrade a try before swapping it - it really does make a huge difference.

If you have issues with the touchscreen sensitivity, you can change the sensitivity settings in the OS options.

Also, if you have issues with the device turning on in your pocket you might give PatternLock or BerrySlider/StormSlider a try.

There are answers to the issues you've mentioned. It's up to you whether or not you're willing to try a few things before giving up.
    09-14-10 04:03 PM
    Hhhhmmm...maybe those issues are dealbreakers for him. Example, as gorgeous as the iPhone 4 is, the non-user replaceable battery is a dealbreaker for me. With the Torch, many complain about the processor, and I'm perfectly happy with the performance.
    We all have things we can't do without. The 9000's memory leaks drove me NUTS. Doesn't bother the Kev hubster....
    Enjoy your 9000 and use it good health.

09-14-10 04:44 PM
    Hhhhmmm...maybe those issues are dealbreakers for him. Example, as gorgeous as the iPhone 4 is, the non-user replaceable battery is a dealbreaker for me. With the Torch, many complain about the processor, and I'm perfectly happy with the performance.
    We all have things we can't do without. The 9000's memory leaks drove me NUTS. Doesn't bother the Kev hubster....
    Enjoy your 9000 and use it good health.

I just don't understand how people gripe about the processor - let's see, it's used in the 9000, 9630, 9650, 9700, and now the 9800. Did I miss any?
    09-14-10 04:49 PM
    "So why post about it?"

Why post about anything, then? These are my comments and reaction to a product for which I had higher expectations than what was delivered. With all that's been said about the first touch screen blackberries, I'm surprised that the engineers didn't take things a step further instead of just reworking the same. I would have stuck with the 9700, but like I say, even with the magnification of the screen, it was pretty much non-functional for me. Not the fault of the item, but my eyes!

Nevertheless, and despite the votes of praise for the torch, it just didn't live up to my expectations and I think that future versions will be a LOT better in a short time to come. I'll wait.
    09-14-10 06:26 PM
    "So why post about it?"

Why post about anything, then? These are my comments and reaction to a product for which I had higher expectations than what was delivered. With all that's been said about the first touch screen blackberries, I'm surprised that the engineers didn't take things a step further instead of just reworking the same. I would have stuck with the 9700, but like I say, even with the magnification of the screen, it was pretty much non-functional for me. Not the fault of the item, but my eyes!

Nevertheless, and despite the votes of praise for the torch, it just didn't live up to my expectations and I think that future versions will be a LOT better in a short time to come. I'll wait.
    Doesn't sound like you want any help; just an audience?

If you were so excited about the Torch how come you don't want us to help you fix all the fixable problems you've had with it - you just want to tell us you're returning it?
    09-14-10 06:53 PM
    Doesn't sound like you want any help; just an audience?

If you were so excited about the Torch how come you don't want us to help you fix all the fixable problems you've had with it - you just want to tell us you're returning it?
    Exactly. We are all here to help each other, but the threads about "I'm returning it" get old - especially if help is offered. No one really cares if you're going to return a device, but if you want help or ideas, all you have to do is ask.
    09-14-10 07:20 PM
    "So why post about it?"

And you can see better on the 9700 screen? I have the "long arm disease" as well. I used the 9800 for a short while then returned it for issues. Went back to my 9700 for about a week - I saw (pun intended) the difference!

Best of luck to you.
    09-14-10 07:22 PM
    Exactly. We are all here to help each other, but the threads about "I'm returning it" get old - especially if help is offered. No one really cares if you're going to return a device, but if you want help or ideas, all you have to do is ask.
    You guys are friggin awesome. I love coming here and reading posts from people with logic and that can see past some people smoke & clouds.

+1
    09-14-10 10:28 PM
    Thanks for letting us know. I will sleep better tonight just knowing. Actually I had the 9000 too and it was a great phone, I liked the form factor. The keyboard is the best of all the Blackberries as far as I'm concerned. I would never want to go back though after using the Torch for a few weeks. I will admit though, the 9000 is nice. I would miss the touchscreen and the track pad. Enjoy your 9000 and when you're ready, move on. It took me a while to divorce my wife too. We separated for a while, got back together and then left her for a new flame, she was a girl I always held a torch for.
    09-15-10 02:02 AM
    Wow! Aren't we a touchy bunch. To be sure, I read plenty of threads before giving up on this particular device. Thanks for the help.

There are a TON of improvements to be made, and when they finally are, they'll have a great product. RIM had a chance with the storm, the storm II, now the torch, and in my view, are still falling short, just trying to make quick fixes rather than getting to the root of the issues (as they eventually will). Until then, I'm just not a fan.

About the use of the same processor...on other phones, with less going on, maybe it was OK, or even a bit stressed. Now there's a lot more going on that the device is required to handle, and it's very clear (no matter how lovely you perceive the Emperor's new clothes...).

You put a 289 ci engine in a Mustang, and it's a great car. Put it in a Range Rover, and it's a slug. Why? There's a lot more stress on the engine.

Glad to see such tolerance of other points of view.

"And you can see better on the 9700 screen?"

No way! What I looked most forward to with the torch was the full screen...the 9700 was way too small, the 9000 is a bit bigger and will have to suffice in the interim until the next model comes out like with the storm.
    Last edited by lanzador49; 09-15-10 at 02:19 AM.
    09-15-10 02:17 AM
    I just don't understand how people gripe about the processor - let's see, it's used in the 9000, 9630, 9650, 9700, and now the 9800. Did I miss any?
    Haha! Isn't that enough to gripe about? Oh, you meant that in a positive way. My bad!
    09-15-10 04:00 AM
    About the use of the same processor...on other phones, with less going on, maybe it was OK, or even a bit stressed. Now there's a lot more going on that the device is required to handle, and it's very clear (no matter how lovely you perceive the Emperor's new clothes...).

You put a 289 ci engine in a Mustang, and it's a great car. Put it in a Range Rover, and it's a slug. Why? There's a lot more stress on the engine.
    Isn't this comparison just a bit unfair since RIM optimizes it's operating systems to be efficient with the processor. After the update to .214 and .225 it's much faster than my 9000 was performing the same exact tasks.

I think that using the engine from a mustang in a Range Rover would only be a fair comparison if you put it in a Range Rover made of carbon fiber. Though that would admittedly be a bad idea in real practice, lol. BBs are purpose driven so optimization is necessary to stay efficient.
    09-15-10 04:23 AM
    Isn't this comparison just a bit unfair since RIM optimizes it's operating systems to be efficient with the processor. After the update to .214 and .225 it's much faster than my 9000 was performing the same exact tasks.

I think that using the engine from a mustang in a Range Rover would only be a fair comparison if you put it in a Range Rover made of carbon fiber. Though that would admittedly be a bad idea in real practice, lol. BBs are purpose driven so optimization is necessary to stay efficient.
    Using that theory, why would RIM ever increase the processor speed since (according to you) the OS is optimized to be efficient with the processor? Why not use the exact same processor in every device?
    09-15-10 04:44 AM
    Using that theory, why would RIM ever increase the processor speed since (according to you) the OS is optimized to be efficient with the processor? Why not use the exact same processor in every device?
    Because the OS could get more demanding in future?
    09-15-10 05:59 AM
    Haha! Isn't that enough to gripe about? Oh, you meant that in a positive way. My bad!
    Just goes to show your ignorant a$$ that there is nothing wrong with the processors.

And shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

SackHarry is back.......
    09-15-10 07:13 AM
    9650 and 9630 did not have it.
    Not sure about the 9000. You missed the 9100 and 9105.

9800 seems to be the answer to iPhone and seems insufficient because browser is slower than iPhone and android.

09-15-10 07:22 AM
    9650 and 9630 did not have it.
    Not sure about the 9000. You missed the 9100 and 9105.

9800 seems to be the answer to iPhone and seems insufficient because browser is slower than iPhone and android.

Yes, the 9000 had the 624:

BlackBerry Bold 9000 - Full phone specifications

The 9630 had a 528.....

A quick search indicates the 9650 has it:

Research In Motion BlackBerry Bold 9650 Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)
    Last edited by ibcop; 09-15-10 at 07:42 AM.
    09-15-10 07:29 AM
    "Isn't this comparison just a bit unfair since RIM optimizes it's operating systems to be efficient with the processor. After the update to .214 and .225 it's much faster than my 9000 was performing the same exact tasks.

"I think that using the engine from a mustang in a Range Rover would only be a fair comparison if you put it in a Range Rover made of carbon fiber. Though that would admittedly be a bad idea in real practice, lol. BBs are purpose driven so optimization is necessary to stay efficient."

Maybe you're right. Perhaps the better comparison would be to say it's like trying to run Windows Vista 64 on an Intel 386dx processor...

However good the processor may be, in my view, it's just not up to the task of what the phone attempts to offer. Maybe that's it...there's just too much stuff that they're trying to make happen in order to be more like an iPhone. I would rather see a phone that ran like a 9700, for example, but that had an updated browser and the slider screen so that I could actually see what I'm browsing. The torch was overkill, and didn't work for me. So, now back to Pentium 4 and Windows 95, until they do something that leapfrogs Vista!
    09-15-10 09:33 AM
    Wow! Aren't we a touchy bunch. To be sure, I read plenty of threads before giving up on this particular device. Thanks for the help.

There are a TON of improvements to be made, and when they finally are, they'll have a great product. RIM had a chance with the storm, the storm II, now the torch, and in my view, are still falling short, just trying to make quick fixes rather than getting to the root of the issues (as they eventually will). Until then, I'm just not a fan.

Glad to see such tolerance of other points of view.

"And you can see better on the 9700 screen?"

No way! What I looked most forward to with the torch was the full screen...the 9700 was way too small, the 9000 is a bit bigger and will have to suffice in the interim until the next model comes out like with the storm.
    Did you really try?

Did you update to .214 or .225 to see the speed improvements?

Did you play with touchscreen sensitivity settings?

Did you try a locking app?

I offered solutions to all your problems and you offered rhetoric and metaphors.

I think you either didn't try and gave up or you never even had the phone and just wanted to make a negative post. Either way, it doesn't sound like you want the Torch to be as good as many of us think it is.
    09-15-10 09:42 AM
    I have yet to see, in any of your posts what your specific issue/problems with this phone are? I am curious to know what limitations you found with it. What is this engineering issue? You said RIM is just reworking the same...so your comparing it to what, the Storm? You said the processor is sluggish..hmm, well that is not true because many have no issue with lag. Yours may have lag, but there are several fixes for that, what specifically is lagging on it? Calls dropping, really? I would not blame that on the phone as dropped calls have not been brought up as an issue, if anything there are several posts to the contrary. Settings changing, once again how about some specifics? You have said nothing to enlighten us on the weaknesses you have evidently found with this device. References to automobile engines are just great, but the processor issue has been beat to death and it has been proven to be sufficient to efficiently run the device, so let's not beat on that poor horse anymore. As far as the folks here having tolerance for other points of view, we absolutely do. We just like posts that are based in fact, not opinion. Give us some credible issues your having and we will acknowledge it and maybe even give suggestions on resolving them. We are just getting tired of the incessant ~well I did not like it so I am going to label it junk, take it back and post about my dissatisfaction~ type threads.
    09-15-10 10:22 AM
    Did you really try?

Did you update to .214 or .225 to see the speed improvements?

Did you play with touchscreen sensitivity settings?

Did you try a locking app?

I offered solutions to all your problems and you offered rhetoric and metaphors.

I think you either didn't try and gave up or you never even had the phone and just wanted to make a negative post. Either way, it doesn't sound like you want the Torch to be as good as many of us think it is.
    I have yet to see, in any of your posts what your specific issue/problems with this phone are? I am curious to know what limitations you found with it. What is this engineering issue? You said RIM is just reworking the same...so your comparing it to what, the Storm? You said the processor is sluggish..hmm, well that is not true because many have no issue with lag. Yours may have lag, but there are several fixes for that, what specifically is lagging on it? Calls dropping, really? I would not blame that on the phone as dropped calls have not been brought up as an issue, if anything there are several posts to the contrary. Settings changing, once again how about some specifics? You have said nothing to enlighten us on the weaknesses you have evidently found with this device. References to automobile engines are just great, but the processor issue has been beat to death and it has been proven to be sufficient to efficiently run the device, so let's not beat on that poor horse anymore. As far as the folks here having tolerance for other points of view, we absolutely do. We just like posts that are based in fact, not opinion. Give us some credible issues your having and we will acknowledge it and maybe even give suggestions on resolving them. We are just getting tired of the incessant ~well I did not like it so I am going to label it junk, take it back and post about my dissatisfaction~ type threads.
    Not really sure why you need specifics. Purchased the phone, didn't like it, and returned it. What makes you think that you deserve an explanation?
    09-15-10 10:59 AM
    Not really sure why you need specifics. Purchased the phone, didn't like it, and returned it. What makes you think that you deserve an explanation?
    #1 That post was not directed at you.

#2 You know that I could give a crap less what you have to say so STFU.

#3 It's not about deserving, the point is why post useless information. And yes, unless you back it up with facts and reasoning it is useless.

#4 Refer any future comments from you to me back to #2
    09-15-10 11:17 AM
    After updating to .214 I have to say I dont see any real lag issues and I'm a pretty picky guy in general.

Product seems to be running fast, and I really couldn't be happier. The OS version that came on the phone was just horrible though. Lots of problems and really made me think about returning it.

Anyway to each his own.
    09-15-10 11:19 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD