Okay-one of you has reminded me about a question I've had regarding the Torch from day one. Do you have to slide it open to do everything on the screen, including using the touch keyboard & accessing all functions on the touchscreen? I thought that you only needed to slide it open to use the physical keyboard. Can someone please clarify for me? Thanks in advance.
    I don't have a Torch but I have the same question. Maybe someone will answer soon.
    09-28-10 08:15 PM
    You've had for a "few days"..

Good god people..do any of you actually read this forum? There are a ton of posts on here about the crappy .141 stock OS that gives you these "laggy" issues. Yet still everyday I hear complainers about it..yet they obviously haven't bothered to research it. Or they say "Well until its Official I won't use it"..give me a break.

Yes it sucks that AT&T hasn't released an update yet..and yes it sucks that RIM rushed this original OS out. But ALL the tools are here in this forum to improve your phone. And if you can't be bothered to do anything about it (yet can find the time to complain) then yes..perhaps you should move on.

To all those who just prefer another form factor..that's great..that's why RIM makes various models..cuz everyone has something they like.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    While I respect your response it has nothing to do with the issues I have. The OS upgrade will do nothing for the screen resolution, slow processor and weight of the device. The processor chip is the slowest of any smartphone released in the last 6 months or so. Some people can't accept that RIM/Blackberry have fell behind the curve...significantly.
    09-28-10 08:20 PM
    Wow, that must have been a horrible experience. I have to say that the three Torches I've had my hands on have been fine though I admit the battery life isn't as great as it was on my 9000.

As far as weight goes I like bigger, and heavier phones. In all honesty the Torch is a bit too narrow coming from a 9000 so it's perfect for me with a hard case on it. I've never had the 9700, but playing around with one once I have to say I like it, but it's just too small after using the Torch.

Battery life of a 9k?! I am not sure what people are doing to have poor battery life but I can easily get 6 hours of straight talk time and easily get 2 days of use out of a single charge. For me, the draining apps are Twitter and Y!. Just don't leave those two running in the background and battery life should be pretty close to the 9700 with average use.

------------------

As for the others in this thread there is only one vakid excuse for going back other than you just do not like the device and that is the slider wiggle issue. Complaining about weight, BIS dropping and lag are just rediculous at this time since you can test for those things in the store and upgrade to one of 3 loads to stop the lag. b

09-28-10 08:32 PM
    To all you 9800 users......does this phone have the ability to "disable dialing from the home screen" so the user can use shortcuts.....e.g. u for calculator, c for compose, d for memos, k for lock, etc., etc. ????? I have not been able to find out the definitive answer to this quandary as I absolutely need these services.....thanks.
    09-28-10 08:44 PM
    While I respect your response it has nothing to do with the issues I have. The OS upgrade will do nothing for the screen resolution, slow processor and weight of the device. The processor chip is the slowest of any smartphone released in the last 6 months or so. Some people can't accept that RIM/Blackberry have fell behind the curve...significantly.
    My question to you is how this "slow processor" really affects you? I can give you the screen resolution but coming from the many users in here this processor is by no means "slow" (.141 withheld). You sir have bought into the hype..please see a Samsung Faacinate review to understand that despite 1Ghz processors..lagginess is generally due to software issues.

To the others wondering about my "anger issues"..I did state that if you went back to the 9700 because you prefer it then great..all the power to you. But everyday it seems there is someone on here slagging it because its "slow"..and yet have failed to read any of these forums for possible fixes..and some still when presented with fixes say "well I don't want to do that". Yes..this annoys me to no end. If you have the time to log on and post your rants yet can't take the time or effort to solve the issue..then I say move along.

09-28-10 09:00 PM
    My question to you is how this "slow processor" really affects you? I can give you the screen resolution but coming from the many users in here this processor is by no means "slow" (.141 withheld). You sir have bought into the hype..please see a Samsung Faacinate review to understand that despite 1Ghz processors..lagginess is generally due to software issues.

To the others wondering about my "anger issues"..I did state that if you went back to the 9700 because you prefer it then great..all the power to you. But everyday it seems there is someone on here slagging it because its "slow"..and yet have failed to read any of these forums for possible fixes..and some still when presented with fixes say "well I don't want to do that". Yes..this annoys me to no end. If you have the time to log on and post your rants yet can't take the time or effort to solve the issue..then I say move along.

LOL and some of the reasons I post very little these days. That and constantly repeating the same thing. If someone is having real issues, yes I still try to help but it does wear one down to see these things daily.

09-28-10 09:34 PM
    You're tarring everyone with the same brush. Your fixes (which I'm very well aware of) made no difference to my reason for selling. Poor build quality. The device is far too delicate, and dare I say poory made for my liking. It's not what I've come to expect from a blackberry. Loose sliders, keyboard buttons coming off, menu keys unpeeling, it's just a weak device.

As for the fixes. Sure, it's a great idea to update, .225 is the best and doesn't have the power management issues of .245 (I think .245 is the latest leak, I used it and downgraded and don't recall), but very very few people will ever do this and it's quite unreasonable to consider a "leak" a fix to the many issues reported here. It's the out of the box experience that matters to 99.9% of users and obviously a relatively large percentage of those people aren't happy. The majority of complaints i see are related to build quality, which even the most ardent fan has to admit is very poor for a blackberry.

No reason to get so upset, if you're happy that's brilliant and from what I've read no one is trying to change your mind.

Last edited by xandermac; 09-28-10 at 09:51 PM.
    09-28-10 09:47 PM
    Okay-one of you has reminded me about a question I've had regarding the Torch from day one. Do you have to slide it open to do everything on the screen, including using the touch keyboard & accessing all functions on the touchscreen? I thought that you only needed to slide it open to use the physical keyboard. Can someone please clarify for me? Thanks in advance.
    You only need to open the slider to use the physical keyboard. Everything else you can do with the screen, track pad, and buttons. Actually, the screen and track pad are integrated VERY well. When using the web browser, you can move around and zoom in and out with the screen. If you suddenly find you need precise movement to select a link all you have to do is swipe the touch pad and the cursor magically appears on the screen and is controlled by the touch pad.

My opinion is that this is a GREAT phone. I came to this from a 9000. I am old and a bit set in my ways, and was skeptical about a touch screen phone. After just a few days of use I discovered that the phone was very easy to use once I found my way around it. Actually, you don't have to open the tray to access everything each time like someone said. If you want to you can just leave the tray open all the time. You only need to close it if you prefer to see your home screen image each time you pick up the phone. RIM has made this phone very user friendly in my opinion; you just need to spend a little time with it and have an open mind. There are plenty of shortcuts to make life easier, such as holding down the BB button to switch applications.

After using this phone for a month I could never go back to the 9000, if for no other reason than the screen size. The 9000 looks and feels like an antique to me now. The 9700 with the even smaller screen? Not for me...

Just my .02.....
    Last edited by Dvx67; 09-28-10 at 09:50 PM.
    09-28-10 09:47 PM
    You're tarring everyone with the same brush. Your fixes (which I'm very well aware of) made no difference to my reason for selling. Poor build quality. The device is far too delicate, and dare I say poory made for my liking. It's not what I've come to expect from a blackberry. Loose sliders, keyboard buttons coming off, menu keys unpeeling, it's just a weak device.

As for the fixes. Sure, it's a great idea to update, .225 is the best and doesn't have the power management issues of .245 (I think .245 is the latest leak, I used it and downgraded and don't recall), but very very few people will ever do this and it's quite unreasonable to consider a "leak" a fix to the many issues reported here. It's the out of the box experience that matters to 99.9% of users and obviously a relatively large percentage of those people aren't happy. The majority of complaints is see are related to build quality, which even the most ardent fan has to admit is very poor for a blackberry.

No reason to get so upset, if you're happy that's brilliant and from what I've read no one is trying to change your mind.

Yea..my rant was in no way directed towards you. I've seen you lots on here and find you very knowledgeable..so I can respect your decision to stick with what you love. This goes for anyone..if you aren't happy with a phone thwn find one that does make you happy. If someones having repeated issues that no fixes are working for..or if you aren't happy with the quality of the build..then again those are legit reasons. **** even if you don't like the way a phone fits in your pocket..that's your perogitive. I just hate when people can't be bothered to try any fixes and yet complain..even though I understand they paid for it therefore have a right to b!tch.

09-28-10 09:57 PM
    The good news is that apparently it's a hot item. I sold mine on craigslist in one day for more than I paid for it, so there is that.

09-28-10 10:04 PM
    I'm sorry but do some of you guys have any meat on your bones? I cannot believe some people are complaining that the Torch is heavy. Wow. The phone is by no means heavy. Some people and their excuses are a tad outrageous.
    09-28-10 10:27 PM
    You can do EVERYTHING with the keyboard closed. You only need to slide it open for the physical keyboard.
    09-28-10 10:30 PM
    returned my torch to rebuy the 9700.
    had the latest beta installed.

my issues with it:
    software keyboard was horrible so it was a necessity to open the keyboard. which, even though is a little step, its an extra step none the less.
    the browser is SLOW. seems to chug along on the rendering.
    phone is quite heavy for something that is made up of mostly plastic.
    had three crashes.
    battery was quite a downgrade from the 9700

OS6 was cool though.
    09-28-10 10:35 PM

LOL@ people blaming the user for RIM's crappy hardware. Its absurd that you're suggesting that people should know to download unofficial and leaked updates to "fix" their underpowered phone. I guarantee you that if you handed me your "lag free" 9800 I would think its slow, but then again I use a Droid X so that would make sense wouldn't it? Lol
    09-29-10 01:52 AM
    LOL@ people blaming the user for RIM's crappy hardware. Its absurd that you're suggesting that people should know to download unofficial and leaked updates to "fix" their underpowered phone. I guarantee you that if you handed me your "lag free" 9800 I would think its slow, but then again I use a Droid X so that would make sense wouldn't it? Lol
    I'm sure us Blackberry users don't play video games on our phones. Please don't turn this thread into a Blackberry comparison thread. Its 9800 vs 9700. We could care less about your "powerful" DroidX.

09-29-10 05:13 AM
    I can't wait for an OS 6 leak for my 9700, I'm very interested to see how it runs. From the videos I've seen it's not half bad.
    09-29-10 06:00 AM
    I'm sorry but do some of you guys have any meat on your bones? I cannot believe some people are complaining that the Torch is heavy. Wow. The phone is by no means heavy. Some people and their excuses are a tad outrageous.
    160g is actually quite heavy for a phone, that was common like 10 years ago, but most phones now are 105-135g in exception of phones like the 4" Androids floating around.
    09-29-10 06:17 AM
    Yea..absurd for people to install updates on their phone. Nice try. Heaven forbid RIM release the updates to people but they refuse to use them until their official carrier says it's ok? Give me a break. And don't even try to tell me that your Androids don't need software updates *cough* Samsung Fascinate *cough*.

And yes..you might think the 9800 is slow, but i'm pretty sure most people would consider you slow as well (except for your mom..i'm sure she still loves you despite your handicaps). Nice attempt at trolling though..i'm sure your mom would give you an A for effort
    09-29-10 08:11 AM
    He did say unofficial/Leaked updates, and he's quite right, thats not a solution for 99.9% of users. Once an official update is released I would agree with you.

Yea..absurd for people to install updates on their phone. Nice try. Heaven forbid RIM release the updates to people but they refuse to use them until their official carrier says it's ok? Give me a break. And don't even try to tell me that your Androids don't need software updates *cough* Samsung Fascinate *cough*.

And yes..you might think the 9800 is slow, but i'm pretty sure most people would consider you slow as well (except for your mom..i'm sure she still loves you despite your handicaps). Nice attempt at trolling though..i'm sure your mom would give you an A for effort
    09-29-10 09:55 AM
    He did say unofficial/Leaked updates, and he's quite right, thats not a solution for 99.9% of users. Once an official update is released I would agree with you.
    So who is releasing these "unofficial/Leaked updates" then? Some other company other than RIM? No. Just because the carrier doesnt make it official doesnt mean that it's not a fix.

The Canadian Torch's are being released with .246. Does this mean they're not "official" since AT&T hasn't approved them? All's i'm saying is the tools are there for people to use.
    09-29-10 10:17 AM
    I have no idea whos LEAKING them, they're certainly not officially released and thats the difference, whether you see it or not. Unless it shows up in DM it doesn't make a damn bit of difference to 99.9% of users.

You and I are obviously a different matter, we go out of our way to use leaked OS's, but I'm smart enough to realize that a leaked OS doesn't help your average Joe and can't be called a fix until it's officially released and the end user is prompted to update. Thats just plain common sense.

So who is releasing these "unofficial/Leaked updates" then? Some other company other than RIM? No. Just because the carrier doesnt make it official doesnt mean that it's not a fix.

The Canadian Torch's are being released with .246. Does this mean they're not "official" since AT&T hasn't approved them? All's i'm saying is the tools are there for people to use.
    09-29-10 10:27 AM
    I have no idea whos LEAKING them, they're certainly not officially released and thats the difference, whether you see it or not. Unless it shows up in DM it doesn't make a damn bit of difference to 99.9% of users.

You and I are obviously a different matter, we go out of our way to use leaked OS's, but I'm smart enough to realize that a leaked OS doesn't help your average Joe and can't be called a fix until it's officially released and the end user is prompted to update. Thats just plain common sense.
    I totally agree with you. Perhaps my frustration lies within the fact that either RIM isn't pushing hard enough to make these things official..or with the carrier for dragging their feet about it. I'm not sure who it ultimately comes down to, but seeing's how the 9800 has been out for close to 2 months now and AT&T users who aren't aware of the fixes are still stuck using the sub par .141 sucks (for them especially).

You would think that with the drastic improvements made over .141 that RIM would be pushing hard to either make it official or make AT&T make it so..so that new users aren't being turned away by some of these issues associated with .141.
    09-29-10 10:37 AM

I would say that's true for most users. However, I think that for anyone that visits this site it should be pretty obvious that using leaks is a pretty easy fix for many issues. There is a great deal of info walking readers through the process, and no shortage of highly knowledgable posters willing to help if problems arise. Maybe installing an unofficial version isn't ideal, but it's surely a viable option for those willing to try (and I'm guessing that most people that take the time to follow Crackberry understand this).
    09-29-10 10:40 AM
    I can't argue with that! The improvements since .141 are dramatic and the end user deserves to know what the phone can really do. All the marketing going into this phone you'd think an update would be a priority.

Now, if they'll just release a xandermacproof slider with .225 (or better) I'll be all over it, I'm just too hard on a phone to trust myself not to break the current 9800.

I totally agree with you. Perhaps my frustration lies within the fact that either RIM isn't pushing hard enough to make these things official..or with the carrier for dragging their feet about it. I'm not sure who it ultimately comes down to, but seeing's how the 9800 has been out for close to 2 months now and AT&T users who aren't aware of the fixes are still stuck using the sub par .141 sucks (for them especially).

You would think that with the drastic improvements made over .141 that RIM would be pushing hard to either make it official or make AT&T make it so..so that new users aren't being turned away by some of these issues associated with .141.
    09-29-10 10:41 AM
    I would imagine they have ways of knowing thru their security policy. I'd avoid it if it's not your device.

Sure, for crackberry users I somewhat agree. A lot of the users don't actually own their blackberry tho, it's a work phone and it might be out of their control. Others are just uncomfortable with the leaked concept, and while I'm not one of them I do understand their concerns.

I'll say this though, whoever is leaking these things needs to get off their arse and leak my 9700 OS6 dammit...

I would say that's true for most users. However, I think that for anyone that visits this site it should be pretty obvious that using leaks is a pretty easy fix for many issues. There is a great deal of info walking readers through the process, and no shortage of highly knowledgable posters willing to help if problems arise. Maybe installing an unofficial version isn't ideal, but it's surely a viable option for those willing to try (and I'm guessing that most people that take the time to follow Crackberry understand this).
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-29-10 at 11:02 AM.
    09-29-10 10:49 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD