After using the Torch for over a month, I realize that most of the benefit is due to OS 6 (e.g., WebKit browser, notifications, universal search, connection manager on the home screen, etc.). Once I can get OS 6 for the Bold, I think I will sell the Torch and go back to the 9700. Here are some reasons:

* The Bold has all of the functionality, but in a smaller, lighter package (which is important since I carry this thing everywhere).

* The Bold has much better battery life.

* The Bold has 2 programmable convenience keys; the Torch only has one.

* I use the BlackBerry many times per day to quickly get information. Having to slide the screen up and down every time detracts from the Torch's productivity.

* The sloppy screen slider mechanism (even after a warranty replacement) makes the Torch feel cheap.

I also have considered an Android device. The HTC Incredible is probably the best one, but the poor battery life and inferior messaging functionality still make the Bold a better choice for productivity. And if Apple ever catches up to BlackBerry (i.e., decent reception [no, it's not the AT&T network], good messaging, removable battery, themes, profiles, meeting notices, choice of where I buy apps, etc.), I will consider an iPhone.

Someone who values entertainment over productivity will likely feel differently.
    09-28-10 11:12 AM
    Did the same with the excpetion that I returned it within the 30 days and got the 9700 instead. Happy as can be.
    09-28-10 11:15 AM
    I also went back to the 9700. Battery life was killing me. But, the final nail was that my cheek continually dialed people or put people on hold and this was with NO screen protector. Can't deal with that!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-10 11:33 AM
    All valid points, the main reason i am not going back to a 9700 from 9800 is the screen size. It is like night and day the size of the screen. The camera is also a big improvement.
    09-28-10 11:36 AM
    Don't know if I could go back to the 9700's screen after using the 9800.
    09-28-10 11:45 AM
    Same here. Sold mine yesterday, back on the 9700. 9800 is a great phone, Just not durable enough for me.
    09-28-10 11:56 AM
    The Bold is probably Blackberry's best device IMO, however the price is a tad steep for my liking. If it were $399-449 instead of $559-599 (CDN) I'd have bought one, finding out that the Curve 3G 9300 is OS6 capable that's an even better purchase right now. If RIM does anything interesting next year maybe I'll get a Bold of some sort by then, but for now I find that Android offers waaaaaaaaaay more than BB's do.
    09-28-10 12:11 PM
    I did the same thing. Grown way too accustomed to the traditional BlackBerry format.

I'll tell you one thing though, if the virtual keyboard were any good, I'd probably still have a Torch.

09-28-10 12:22 PM
    Just gonna use both for awhile and swap SiM card. I like both phones for different reasons. Will ultimately decide on one I'm sure.

09-28-10 12:43 PM
    For the first few days after the release of the Torch, I was switching between my 9700 and the 9800. I was a little sad that I was putting the 9700 down after not even a year's worth of usage. But after fully making the jump to my 9800, it'd be hard for me to go back to the Bold.

The only thing I miss is the simple form factor of the Bold series. The 9800 is my first ever slider phone, so I'm just now getting used to the whole sliding mechanism.
    09-28-10 01:14 PM
    For the first few days after the release of the Torch, I was switching between my 9700 and the 9800. I was a little sad that I was putting the 9700 down after not even a year's worth of usage. But after fully making the jump to my 9800, it'd be hard for me to go back to the Bold.

The only thing I miss is the simple form factor of the Bold series. The 9800 is my first ever slider phone, so I'm just now getting used to the whole sliding mechanism.
    Exactly. I know it only takes a second to slide the phone open but I like that the 9700 is just plain easier to use. The lock button at the top is all I need to push on the 9700 when I take it out of my pocket and it is good to go. The 9800 I installed pattern lock in addition to the hardware lock because it was unlocking too easily in my pocket. I love the screen size of the 9800 however and just about everything else on the phone.
    09-28-10 01:39 PM
    I've had the Torch for a few days and can honestly say I am disappointed thus far. The processor is slow, the screen is weak compared to other options in the market and the phone is very heavy. I previously had a 9700 but will most likely switch to the Samsung Captivate.
    09-28-10 01:58 PM
    I've had the Torch for a few days and can honestly say I am disappointed thus far. The processor is slow, the screen is weak compared to other options in the market and the phone is very heavy. I previously had a 9700 but will most likely switch to the Samsung Captivate.
    Well I definitely do not plan on leaving the blackberry platform just having trouble deciding on which device. I tried Android for a month and it just wasn't for me. I think it is a great platform just has to meet your needs and what you want from the device. Good luck with the Captivate it looks pretty nice!
    09-28-10 02:25 PM
    The slider action has taken some getting used to -- it really is a lot easier just to have the keyboard already out and ready -- but get used to it I have. No biggie. The larger screen and the fact that it's a touchscreen are two of the main reasons I wouldn't want to go back to my 9000. Admittedly, that phone won't have OS 6, but while the 9700 will, it's unclear how well it will run on the device, and in any event it won't be a touchscreen. I use the touchscreen extensively when browsing, particularly pinch and zoom and double-tap. I'd hate to have zoom in with just the BB key and/or the trackpad.
    09-28-10 02:54 PM
    You've had for a "few days"..

Good god people..do any of you actually read this forum? There are a ton of posts on here about the crappy .141 stock OS that gives you these "laggy" issues. Yet still everyday I hear complainers about it..yet they obviously haven't bothered to research it. Or they say "Well until its Official I won't use it"..give me a break.

Yes it sucks that AT&T hasn't released an update yet..and yes it sucks that RIM rushed this original OS out. But ALL the tools are here in this forum to improve your phone. And if you can't be bothered to do anything about it (yet can find the time to complain) then yes..perhaps you should move on.

To all those who just prefer another form factor..that's great..that's why RIM makes various models..cuz everyone has something they like.

09-28-10 03:09 PM
    If you can't carry the Torch you must be one weak dude....LOL How much more does it weigh.. Some goofy excuses...
    09-28-10 03:30 PM
    If you can't carry the Torch you must be one weak dude....LOL How much more does it weigh.. Some goofy excuses...
    I also thought some were just complaining about the weight for nothing until i had one in my hands. For someone like me who hates holsters and ALWAYS pockets his phones, i found it to be quite heavy and bothersome. The weight does add a "solid" feeling to it but the one i had was very loose when opened so that killed the solid feel. I will wait and see when they are in stores here in Canada to make a better judgement on the phone. It is on the heavy side though,

09-28-10 05:29 PM
    You've had for a "few days"..

Good god people..do any of you actually read this forum? There are a ton of posts on here about the crappy .141 stock OS that gives you these "laggy" issues. Yet still everyday I hear complainers about it..yet they obviously haven't bothered to research it. Or they say "Well until its Official I won't use it"..give me a break.

Yes it sucks that AT&T hasn't released an update yet..and yes it sucks that RIM rushed this original OS out. But ALL the tools are here in this forum to improve your phone. And if you can't be bothered to do anything about it (yet can find the time to complain) then yes..perhaps you should move on.

To all those who just prefer another form factor..that's great..that's why RIM makes various models..cuz everyone has something they like.

What's your problem? Why so angry? It's just a phone. You should go to Anger Management.
    09-28-10 06:26 PM
    Yeah, no kidding! The OP, and myself and a number of other users have gone back to the 9700 for our own individual reasons. Not sure why he takes it personally. God forbid there were real numbers of the percentage of users returning the torch, I think he might just explode!!!

What's your problem? Why so angry? It's just a phone. You should go to Anger Management.
    09-28-10 06:29 PM
    You guy's need to try .2xx update for the torch, it really wakes it up.
    09-28-10 06:48 PM
    I considered going back to the 9700 because the screen is sharper but I am liking the extra screen space on the 9800. Blackberry should update the 9000 with better specs and screen, and I'll get it asap. Hopefully the next Blackberries have high res screens.

09-28-10 07:05 PM
    Okay-one of you has reminded me about a question I've had regarding the Torch from day one. Do you have to slide it open to do everything on the screen, including using the touch keyboard & accessing all functions on the touchscreen? I thought that you only needed to slide it open to use the physical keyboard. Can someone please clarify for me? Thanks in advance.
    09-28-10 07:22 PM
    I just got my 9700 even though the Torch will be out at the end of the month here in Canada.

I just felt being it is a new concept, I'd wait because I am sure there will be a second generation like the Storm & any issues would be worked out by the time I can upgrade again.

Had to think hard on it because of the bigger screen & the 5MP camera the Torch offers, but that still was not enough to convince me to wait.

OS 6 will come out on the 9700 someday & I find the 3.2MP works well if you hold steady & compose your shot. I also like the lighter & smaller package. I jumped from a Pearl, so I didn't want to go much bigger.

From the couple weeks I have had the Bold I have to say I am very satisfied in my choice.

May change my mind once I see a few of them floating around, but as much as I like the 9700 I doubt that will happen.
    09-28-10 07:39 PM
    You guy's need to try .2xx update for the torch, it really wakes it up.
    While I agree with this statement, I still had the BIS bug (dropped BIS and RIMs solution was a full security wipe), phone (the two torches I had at least) ran way too hot and therefore couldn't charge (unless I removed case and back door and held over A/C vent), battery life was atrocious with heavy phone calls. Atrocious battery life and the inability to charge due to over-torchyness heat = impossible to use phone. Makes a nifty $550.00 paperweight though!
    Honestly, all Torch bashing aside, while the Torch had its faults, and huge ones at that, the main reason for what I did (switched back to Verizon) was mainly due to AT&T's horrific NYC area service.

09-28-10 07:46 PM
    While I agree with this statement, I still had the BIS bug (dropped BIS and RIMs solution was a full security wipe), phone (the two torches I had at least) ran way too hot and therefore couldn't charge (unless I removed case and back door and held over A/C vent), battery life was atrocious with heavy phone calls. Atrocious battery life and the inability to charge due to over-torchyness heat = impossible to use phone. Makes a nifty $550.00 paperweight though!
    Honestly, all Torch bashing aside, while the Torch had its faults, and huge ones at that, the main reason for what I did (switched back to Verizon) was mainly due to AT&T's horrific NYC area service.

Wow, that must have been a horrible experience. I have to say that the three Torches I've had my hands on have been fine though I admit the battery life isn't as great as it was on my 9000.

As far as weight goes I like bigger, and heavier phones. In all honesty the Torch is a bit too narrow coming from a 9000 so it's perfect for me with a hard case on it. I've never had the 9700, but playing around with one once I have to say I like it, but it's just too small after using the Torch.
    09-28-10 08:02 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD