Using Verizon, I don't have the option to get the Blackberry Torch, but I am out of my contract in March. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about new BB's coming to VZW like the Torch, or if some of you Torch users could give me some pros and cons if I would switch to AT&T to get it. Any help would be appreciated, especially if you came from a Tour or Bold 9650, which is what I would transfer from. Thanks!
    12-16-10 03:03 PM
    verizon will be talking new handsets in january at CES. but, based on that latest interview with big mike, i dont expect anything great from rim on verizon for quite some time.
    12-16-10 03:07 PM
    I just broke my Verizon contract 9 months early to get the Torch. From all my research it is not coming to Verizon any time soon. WELL WORTH IT!

I have had my Torch for about 2 weeks now and I LOVE it. Still have my keyboard and all the BB functions but also have the full screen, better camera, better apps, better browsing, better, better, better.

My biggest concern was AT&T coverage and service but so far so good. There has only been 1 spot where I had service with Verizon and AT&T does not get a signal.

Go for it!
    12-16-10 03:09 PM
    As has been mentioned many times, the Torch, a GSM device, was developed in partnership between RIM and AT&T. It is doubtful that a CDMA version will find its way to VZW. If RIM goes with the S3, that would be the next RIM device on VZW. It is well worth the switch especially if you travel outside the US where most networks are on GSM frequencies.
    12-16-10 03:40 PM
    There is a strong rumor that there is a Sprint version of the Torch in the works. I'm holding out for that one. I can't accept AT&T's subpar network.
    12-16-10 03:45 PM
    I have been with ATT since '93 and have usually had good service with them not only in coverage, but also in resolving problems. Make the switch. The Torch is great, but don't go to the ATT store, go to Best Buy or order online from them and get the phone for free!
    12-16-10 03:47 PM
    There is a strong rumor that there is a Sprint version of the Torch in the works. I'm holding out for that one. I can't accept AT&T's subpar network.
    Isn't Sprint CDMA? The Bold 9000 never left AT&T. It would seem that for the near-term future, AT&T exclusivity will remain. Don't believe every rumor you hear.
    12-16-10 03:52 PM
    Gotta ask people in your area if AT&T coverage is good. I get better network speed and reception on AT&T than I did on Sprint. Every area is different. Happy I switched.
    12-16-10 03:54 PM
    But you left Sprint for AT&T before Papped and then came back to Sprint...why come back the 1st time?????
    12-17-10 12:55 PM
    Def wouldn't hold your breath for that. The Torch will never leave AT&T in the US (network differences aside), just like the Storm never left Verizon and the Style most likely Sprint.

Hope you like your phones flipable...
    12-17-10 01:07 PM
    But you left Sprint for AT&T before Papped and then came back to Sprint...why come back the 1st time?????
    Because Sprint released the 9630 which seemed like a better option than my 9000 (wrong. Huge fiasco). So then I bought a 8530 out of pocket because the 9630 stunk. That + the 9650 held me over until the Torch came out.

But I still got much, much longer network latencies on Sprint and far worse average -dbm.
    12-17-10 01:12 PM
    I have had ATT for over four years now and have never had a problem. Had Sprint before and had problems stemming from area coverage, billing issues and thier customer service was terrible. Im an avid hunter and fisherman and ATT rocks when it comes to coverage out in the bay and at the ranch.

Have had the Bold 9000 since it came out and it was a great phone until the roller ball started sticking. It was time to upgrade and have had the Torch 9800 for over two weeks. It is great.. just upgraded the OS four days ago and it is doing really well.
    No problems yet, Recommendation is very high.. You wont go wrong...
    12-17-10 01:39 PM
    Best BlackBerry ever made, absolutely love it!

Craps all over the i-phone 4 in my opinion!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-10 06:02 PM
    I was a Sprint customer here in SE Michigan, and got tired of dropped calls and dead zones. A little over 2 years ago, my wife (the accountant) did a comparison, and we disconnected our land-line phone and went with high-speed DSL and two cell phone from AT&T...for less than we were paying for landline, basic DSL,and the one cell from Sprint.

I was using a Samsung A737 for the last two years...a good, basic phone, but difficult for texting and email or messaging. I just upgraded to the Torch 6 days ago. WOW! The only question would relate to 3G coverage in your area.

Incidentally, if you can find a Costco Warehouse in your area, the Torch goes for $49.99, including an accessory Kit (belt case, car charger, and hands-free earphones), but you do need to sign a 2-yr contract, plus a $15/mo data plan.

I highly recommend the Torch; just take the time to tweak the setup to your liking, and check here on Crackberry for tips and advice.

Harry
    12-17-10 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD