If you are not under a rock then you have seen the news this morning and are aware of the release of iphone 4 on june 24th with pre order beginning on the 15th. Well the rumor was the new berry would drop in June. What does Cb think? Does the boys at apple have the RIM crew nervous? Will the 9800 even come out this month or are we looking a fall date? Rim is starting to have me concerned with the expansion of the droid phones and now the iphone is RIM pushing the envelope enough to retain current users and grab new customers. The biggest advantge BB has is the push email and bbm, but those advantges are shrinking. I took a quick glance at the i-phone spec sheet and saw a few things that BB could adopt. especially the face to face calling with forward faceing camera for all you picture takers. So lets use this thread to really help Rim with staying on top of the smartphone game. A real discussion on the direction the 9800 and where it should go,and should Rim become nervous with all these companies discovering exiciting mobile phone IP(intellectual property).
    Jpr 757
    06-08-10 12:17 PM
    Men don't cry. But I almost cried when I saw the upcoming iphone. I've been loyal to blackberry for a long time. The applications I use most are BBM and the calendar. That's it. I always believed I didn't need a gimmicky phone to be productive. I don't play games on my phone. I have a total of 5 third-party applications on my blackberry storm 2. So I don't care about the gimmicks.

But why can't I have a phone that is super fast and won't slow down when it gets tilted to one side? Why can't I have a BB that doesn't weigh like a brick? I would settle for a BB 9700. Instead, my only option is a touchscreen storm 2 and a bulky BB 9650 that looks almost identical to a phone that debuted about 1 year ago.

I will probably never switch to an iphone. But after seeing what BB has in store for later this year (another storm, a cheap looking curve and other bulky phones), I just wonder.
    06-08-10 12:30 PM
    I'm nervous. Am I one of five people who don't care about the announcement?
    06-08-10 12:38 PM
    I'm nervous. Am I one of five people who don't care about the announcement?
    I was also wondering if I was one of the five who don't care..
    06-08-10 12:51 PM
    As with anything, I will wait to see it in person. Anyone who jumps onto a new product following nothing more than corporate hype about performance is crazy. Real world is always different than they portray.
    06-08-10 01:21 PM
    I'm not worried at all. I'm just waiting for the refreshed 9700 model to come out with blackberry 6

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-10 01:30 PM
    I am seriously thinking about making that big leap to the i4 .... That thing is extreme eye candy .
    06-08-10 01:34 PM
    I still want to know about this "no battery drain with multitasking" thing. Unless Apple has broken the laws of physics then it's a gimmick. Quite possibly it's not multitasking but something else. Maybe an advanced kind of task switching or some other method.
    06-08-10 01:37 PM
    I also will like to see what it really does. Me and my wife are both 9000 users. She is on her second phone because her first just bricked one day. I did everything and could not bring the phone back to life. Her new phone just arrived and last night while it was sitting on the charger it just bricked. Luckily a pull of the sim chip and it cameback to life, but for her she has made the decision to jump to the other side. Please pray for her and me because another one bites the dust. I know i will have to listen her gwak all day and night over this phone...
    06-08-10 01:37 PM
    all it is the ability to switch apps. just like berry has been doing with the left convinece key. I have been doing that for a few years now. Apple is so funny with some of their features that berry was already using..
    06-08-10 01:40 PM
    especially the face to face calling with forward faceing camera for all you picture takers.
    Stick a mirror on the battery door.
    06-08-10 01:41 PM
    iPhone 4 vs. the smartphone elite: EVO 4G, N8, Pre Plus, and HD2 -- Engadget

it's funny, RIM users have a serious inferiority complex. and it's understandable; RIM hardware is way behind.

when one of your biggest "advantages" over your competition is BBM what does that say about your product?

people always like to bring up stability/security. we've seen the stability lacked with the storm. and i, for one, saw many, many BIS outages over the past few years (none lately).

so are these really advantages, or just a way for you to make yourself feel secure about your device?

RIMs current line lacks in technical specs, aesthetics, software, and innovation.

2 years ago, the Bold 9000 could actually claim to have nice screen res and a fast processor. the current line is just a bunch of 9000's with more RAM and better cameras.

i'm a 5 year blackberry user and when my upgrade comes in another year i'll be on a different device.
    06-08-10 01:44 PM
    Stick a mirror on the battery door.
    LOL!

06-08-10 01:56 PM
    I still want to know about this "no battery drain with multitasking" thing. Unless Apple has broken the laws of physics then it's a gimmick. Quite possibly it's not multitasking but something else. Maybe an advanced kind of task switching or some other method.
    The battery doesn't drain any faster with a jailbroken iPhone with backgrounder installed. So I would think Apple is able to do it as well. Everything that you can do in jailbreaking is the true capabilities of the phone that Apple just hasn't unlocked.
    06-08-10 02:31 PM
    As with anything, I will wait to see it in person. Anyone who jumps onto a new product following nothing more than corporate hype about performance is crazy. Real world is always different than they portray.
    It's also about the reputation of Apple. Just people blindly leap onto new blackberry devices because they know they will be satisfied because of their past experiences, it's nothing different here. People who have a iPhone now already know that they wanted the next one. And others who were on the fence, see the new capabilities and things added to 4.0 that pushed them over. So it's not about corporate hype. It's about reputation and experience.

When you have a lot of confidence in a company (like a lot of people have in RIM), you know it will be good for you. It's called brand loyalty. Please, don't act like RIM doesn't have the same type of following. It's not like they're introducing a totally different product. They are just taking what they have to the next level.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 06-08-10 at 02:35 PM.
    06-08-10 02:33 PM
    How about iPhone 4 vs BB 9800 vs some future unnamed hand held phone/device with capabilities we have can't even imagine, yet will still doesnt do the one thing we really want it to do.
    06-08-10 02:33 PM
    all it is the ability to switch apps. just like berry has been doing with the left convinece key. I have been doing that for a few years now. Apple is so funny with some of their features that berry was already using..
    Yeah but when Apple does it, it's done right. I bet there are no memory leaks or sluggish OS because too many apps are open and I won't have to do a battery pull. Apple does a lot of things afterwards but they also innovate. The difference is, when Apple decides to do something, they do it correctly and make it easier. Come on now, copy and paste is easier on the iPhone than any other device. Try that on a Storm. It's a joke.
    06-08-10 02:38 PM
    The iPhone 4 is made by Foxconn, makers of fine fly-apart garbage hardware. Just like every previous iPhone. Pay hundreds of dollars for a phone that doesn't do half of what other phones half its price have done for twice as long. Bourgeois-elistist nonsense.
    06-08-10 03:00 PM
    Where to begin?

Non-truncated e-mails.
    Full html e-mails
    no download/upload cap
    ring tones and alerts that play through headsets or BT
    ease of copy/paste
    full/ quick web browsing experience
    1,000's of 20-30 meg open GLES 2.0 3D applications
    1,000's of 30mg+ feature rich applications
    Native turn by turn voice directions
    native speech recognition and full abilities (from calling to search)
    no lack of memory
    no lag
    compass

Dozens of devices that have come out in the last 2 years meet these specifications. No BB does. No BB expected to debut until 2011 will meet more than 1 or 2 of these. No BB slated to release before 2012 will meet more than 1 or 2 of these. And that new webkit browser? With Java enabled on a BES, is not much faster than what BES users have now. And even BIS or WIFI will still not beat the latest Android or Safari offerings.

Compare the i-phone4 to the 9800? Its like comparing a WWII tank to an X7. While an X7 has all the modern features speed and amenities, it can't go through 6 inches of mud, take a few rounds of 60mm fire and fire back. If I want that level of security I'll have no choice but to take the tank. O/W I'll go with the X7. (In reality I drive a Wrangler - so go figure.) The thing is, most people who brag on the BB security on this site, don't need it. Don't know what the heck it does and why. Heck, how many people think they are really targets of industrial espionage going hard after their personal e-mails and contacts off their handhelds? You think? How many private citizens have their personal information electronically intercepted from I-phones and Androids each year? The answer? NONE. Get over yourselves. If you are a fortune 500 CEO, an A-list litigation partner; working on a confidential transaction; or an elected official - YOU NEED SECURITY. The rest of you are just sitting in a Sherman telling others around you thet they don't understand the road conditions in the winter. It would be so laughable, if it wasn't so pathetic.
    06-08-10 03:08 PM
    I want that new iPhone! I wish Sprint would get one. :/ but for now my BlackBerry is just fine!
    06-08-10 03:17 PM
    I'm a newbie BB user coming from the Iphone. I loved the Iphone not AT&T. I really don't like this new design of Iphone 4. I'm satisfied with my Tour except for the lack of WiFi and the Flintstone browser. The Iphone OS is like none other now. When there was no copy and paste it was a joke. What I like about the BB is that it's straight forward no arts and crafts. Email,Text,Phone calls that's all I need. I did the Iphone from the 1G model to 3Gs so I've been there done that. I use my 3Gs as a Skype Home phone. My 1G Iphone is (SIADD) (Sitting in a Drawer Dead) RIM just needs to have a way better browser. Having the hot new Iphone is so 2007 LOL
    06-08-10 03:28 PM
    I switched from iPhone to Blackberry. Why? Because it couldn't do simple things. Also, Steve Jobs and I have different opinions on things, and he wouldn't let me use my phone as I'd like to. I need to completely unlock the phone and go to my homescreen just to see if I have an unread email? Really? iPhone 4 is just more of the same.. but if you do use an iPhone, I'd love it if you buy my app
    06-08-10 03:54 PM
    I really don't like this new design of Iphone 4.
    I'm really liking this new iPhone design. I hated the other ones. Heh. Glass on the backside is just asking for it though...
    06-08-10 04:02 PM
    I am not a berry user for that long, but concerning main advantages and super hi-tech features, I think that RIM has built great devices that optimize bandwidth use and battery consumption which is not the case of the competition...given the uncertainty reigning around health impact of wireless networks, I believe it is much smarter to be as efficient as RIM is, same can be said concerning power usage.
    06-08-10 04:06 PM
    Young vs Old... that should be the title.

This is how I see it, if RIM created the 9800 with all the features of the iPhone 4 in it the old timers and BB diehard lovers would go crazy saying its the best phone "ever". But since it wasn't RIM and another brand that's my hip/and popular well of course you'll receive negative feedback. People do it without even thinking, its called brand loyalty. Just like how people will defend there political party, state, city, and any product they purchase. Me personally I'm not loyal to any company other than the one I own and I can say the iPhone is very impressive no matter what anyone says RIM should be envious of what Apple is doing.
    06-08-10 04:21 PM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD