11-11-10 08:04 AM
29 12
tools
    I have to say that after a few months OF HEAVY use I am pretty happy with my Torch.

Sure I wish there were a few more apps coming out quicker then they currently are, but overall I am very pleased with the performance of the phone and my daily use of it.

The biggest positive for me came when I upgraded from the stock operating system (running .246 currently. happy with that version). That immediately changed the phone 100% from how it operated out of the box initially. After upgrading the operating system it made the touchscreen as responsive as other phones out there and the page transitions between different applications very fast - again all positives.

I spend approx 3000-5000 minutes a month on the phone, use a bluetooth headset, get hundreds of emails a day, endless texts, use the internet regularly, facebook and other apps. I have approx 4gb of music and about 6-7 full movies at any time on the memory card. I take the Torch with me to the gym every single morning and listen to music on it daily which has eliminated the need for my ipod or any other mp3 player. I use the Torch for quick videos at events and they look great on youtube or other applications.

During all of this the Torch has performed fine for me. I have always been a "power user" and understand that I need a charger in my car, a usb on my laptop and a wall charger at home - BUT THAT WAS THE SAME when I had an iphone or any of the htc phones I have had over the recent years. All needed to be regularly charged with that the type of usage I have daily.

That being said I have found the battery life of the Torch to be adequate and comparable to the other mentioned phones. I just honestly have.

Again, I have owned many different Blackberry models, but also have extensive experience with htc phones, iphones, and others due to my work. I feel the Torch compares very very well with all of them. just my 2 cents. Thanks.
    11-03-10 11:39 PM
    I find that all Blackberry in general are more for practical use as a personal lifestyle phone. It does what I need it to do in aiding me with my everyday activities.

There isn't anything wrong with the Torch besides people finding little bugs in the software or moving parts that irritates them. Of course when it comes to problem, you will see people reporting on forums and asking for help but when it comes good things about the phone people in general just don't go posting the plus side of the phones.

Glad you like your phone.
    11-04-10 12:13 AM
    I find that all Blackberry in general are more for practical use as a personal lifestyle phone. It does what I need it to do in aiding me with my everyday activities.

There isn't anything wrong with the Torch besides people finding little bugs in the software or moving parts that irritates them. Of course when it comes to problem, you will see people reporting on forums and asking for help but when it comes good things about the phone people in general just don't go posting the plus side of the phones.

Glad you like your phone.
    I agree 100% and fully understand that forums are for discussing the good and the bad, but most often it is the bad or complaints that get discussed.

Or course there are a few things I would like to see changed with my Torch like anyone else. (like the little wobble here and there, the fact there is no Sirius/XM app yet drives me crazy, and a few other things) BUT overall it is a solid, well made phone/mini computer, that if used correctly can be a valuable daily tool for BOTH business and personal use.
    11-04-10 03:04 AM
    I agree with both of you. The Torch holds its own against competitors very well performance-wise and it's perfect as a lifestyle phone. Granted that it does have a few things that could use improving, but those don't come anywhere near grossly inhibiting my enjoyment of it.
    11-04-10 03:44 AM
    Its posts like these that help confirm my choice i hope to have torch by next week. Going to test out at local shop.

thanks guys.
    11-04-10 07:29 AM
    i have said plenty of times i love my torch ...do i wish it had a better screen resolution ..yes i do ..maybe a better processor ..of course but i have games on it i have fun apps on it my music works fine ...and i love the camera the os update made this a brand new phone and i wouldnt trade it for the world ..unless there is a torch 2 with better specs lol
    11-04-10 07:41 AM
    I completely agre.this phone is a powerhouse. If it's your first touch screen you have to be patient and practice for a while To get used to it.
    Happy users seldom come to forums to share their happiness

Posted from my CrackfBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by jsonnen; 11-04-10 at 07:48 AM.
    11-04-10 07:44 AM
    I love my Torch!!
    11-04-10 08:13 AM
    Happy users seldom come to forums to share their happiness

Posted from my CrackfBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Too true. You often read bad reviews of a product on a forum/review board cause that's the only time people think to post.
    Others would have you believe that threads like this are just here to try and convince ourselves that we actually like our new devices and wish we had purchased a droid or ip4.

With this said, I can honestly say this is simply the best BB i have owned, and 100% glad i bought it.

Only downside is I can't seem to put it down.
    Last edited by homer1475; 11-04-10 at 08:19 AM.
    11-04-10 08:17 AM
    Since I am a newbie to Blackberry, I only can compare this phone to other smartphones that I have had...Blackjack 2 and the Jack. By far this is a better phone. The ease of use. The touchscreen is responsive and the keyboard is easy to use. I like the weight of the phone and the textured back (one thing the Blackjack 2 had that the Jack did not). The support from Blackberry, the apps, the wallpapers etc, all reveal a well thought out phone. I didn't know what I was missing when I was on WM6.5.

Its not that the other phones were bad phones, but this one is so much better. Finding my files is so much easier on the Torch. Instead of going through a series of steps, all I have to do is touch the files icon in applications and badabing badaboom...I am where I need to be.
    Last edited by newcollector; 11-04-10 at 08:29 AM.
    11-04-10 08:26 AM
    i've gone through 3 Torches since release day.

the last time i went into Best Buy to get it replaced, they asked if i wanted something else. i told them i wasn't interested in anything else and just wanted a replacement for my wobbly slider, front buttons falling off, USB connection broken Torch.

i got the new one, and it's solid. came with .246 out of the box and i couldn't be happier. i've tried all the different leaked OS's, and i really enjoy .246.

one of my friends is an iPhone guy. he's read all the bad about the Torch and all of its short comings and stupid complaints. i let him use it for a bit a few days ago. he's not the kind of guy to blow smoke, and even he was pleasantly surprised at the performance.
    11-04-10 09:25 AM
    lovin my torch. I guess I was one one of the lucky ones that hasn't had a problem **Knock on wood**. Hope everyone is enjoying theirs as much as I am.
    11-04-10 09:48 AM
    Today was another day where my Torch just literally excelled. Had an event I was producing. Used my Torch numerous times to pull up images or videos to show people for reference. While doing these things I made/received about a hundred calls, received and sent a ton of emails and texts and much more.
    I never experienced any lag in page transitions or the phone freezing. In most cases almost everyone I interacted with asked me what phone I was using because they liked what they saw. This is a great phone.
    11-07-10 06:17 PM
    I am a fairly heavy torch user and think the torch is great. I often play with my kis iphone4 and captivate and there is no doubt that for games and what I would call "less seriouus" use those both have certain advantages. This has nothing to do with the performance of the torch, they are just different animals. As far as web, lag, messaging and email, I have no problems at all and wouldn't change this phone for anything on the market right now.
    I just felt like adding my piece to this thread because I've seen way too much torch bashing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-10 07:02 PM
    Completely agree! My BB Torch has become so integrated into everything I do and I love it. I got away from my iphone 3G because of the lag timeafter the software update. I still keep it in my work bag as my backup phone (in case I kill my Torch battery) but have noticed that I never take it out of the bag. Love the media on the Torch. Love plugging it right into the car and listening to all my music. Texting is a dream of course. Love the keyboard. I just need a nice little clip for it when I hit the gym. Don't regret my purchase at all.
    11-07-10 07:15 PM
    I love my torch as well. I think a lot of the bad reviews come from the early review units with the 1st OS which I never personally owned (Canadian Torch's came with the newest official one) but have heard enough bad about around the forms to know that if they were given a unit today with the better os, it would have been more favorable. I would like one of the big websites (PhoneDog, Engadget, etc.) to pick it up and review it now with the better OS.

I am on my 3rd due to some faulty hardware, but outside of that, I love this phone. <3
    11-07-10 07:28 PM
    I agree… the torch has grown on me over four months. It really handles all my needs and the key board is great. I use it for everything and it may not have all the cool games that apple and android have but it handles all my social needs just fine.
    11-07-10 07:43 PM
    I can't even say like at this point. This is the best bb I've ever had. Love it.
    11-07-10 07:43 PM
    I LOVE my torch, and this is coming from someone who was a touchscreen hater (I have extensive experience with the itouch). I admitedly use the qwerty for my typing and the fact that option exists with this device was the clincher for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-10 10:12 PM
    I'm glad I found this thread - my wife's on att and a long time bold 9000 user...when I first showed her the Torch, she refused because of the touch screen. Now that they are offering a white version, she's rethinking of getting it.

Would anyone care to comment on the transition from a candy qwerty to the slider factor?
    11-07-10 10:44 PM
    I'm glad I found this thread - my wife's on att and a long time bold 9000 user...when I first showed her the Torch, she refused because of the touch screen. Now that they are offering a white version, she's rethinking of getting it.

Would anyone care to comment on the transition from a candy qwerty to the slider factor?
    it really is a non factor for me. If anything I find myself using the touch screen for so many thing (and never pulling out the slider) and ONLY using the slider when typing. A whole lot easier to be honest and the touch screen is just like a iphone or any other touch screens - very responsive, fast page transitions, etc.

Most important is the operating system of the unit your wife gets. My Torch originally DID have some issues, but since upgrading to the new operating systems that keep getting leaked every few weeks it is a rocket ship now with no problems at all. I have read that units being sold new now from AT&T are already upgraded so that is positive.
    11-08-10 05:34 AM

She is re-thinking because she likes white?

The touch slider's keyboard has a "sunk in" feel in comparison to a in your face keyboard on the candy qwerty. Kinda crowded at the top row of keys.

If you wife is going from a 9000 with an expansive keyboard to the 9800 . . . well you better let her go to the store and try out a demo first as she is in for a shock unless she is going to transition to the virtual keyboard.
    11-08-10 05:39 AM
    I honestly love my Torch.

My first BB was a 7290, 'nuff said. Then I got an 8310 and absolutely loved it, that phone never let me down. The next upgrade was an 8900, which gave me problems initially (random resets), and only the third device was stable. Getting OS5 on that device was great though.

Then I had the 9700 and thought it was the best BB ever. I still have it as a spare phone, but I am completely in love with the Torch and wouldn't trade it for anything else at this point. Never liked touch screens much but the Torch combo just works for me.
    11-08-10 05:52 AM
    I love Blackberry and use the 9700. Had a stint with iPhone when it first came out because I got it as a Christmas Gift. I couldn't wait to get back to my BB (those wonderful buttons, those beautiful, wonderful buttons). Well I had a bunch of issues with my 9700 and had a few replacements. So when the Torch first came out, AT&T offered me a Torch to replace it, I was happy but yet feared the touch screen after coming from the iPhone, because I needed my QWERTY, but I got it anyway. I really, really, liked it, but I did have an issue with the front plate popping up, so I ended up returning it because of that and went back to the 9700, not to mention all the horror stories I was reading about it. I didn't really have any issues right out of the box, and there hadn't been any software updates out yet. I never had any software lag or wobble.

At any rate, I missed it actually, I had it 5 days and really missed it. My contract isn't up until next year but was able to get a discount because of my issues and I ended up ordering one the other day. I am getting the white one. I have to say I am thankful for you all for posting this, because it is refreshing to see positive things, you don't normally find these things out there and sometimes the bashing does take a toll. While I do appreciate people posting problems and issues, it is nice to see positive stuff as well. So thank you all for this post. I should get my phone on Tues and I look forward to enjoying my new white torch!
    11-08-10 06:15 AM
    This is my eigth BlackBerry Model and I can also attest that this is the best one yet. The software improves with each update and I only expect thousands more applications to come out for OS6 within the next year, so I believe it is a great phone to take advantage of if you're on a GSM network.
    11-08-10 06:37 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD