Hey guys,

I'm new on here but I need some serious advice.

I'm a sucker for a good camera so I'm going to upgrade my 9700 for a 9800 or a 9780 but I don't know which to choose!

Can anyone give me some pro's and cons between the 2?

My card reader is totally messed in my 9700 so I plan on upgrading next week.

Thanks everyone for your time!!
    11-17-10 05:17 PM
    It really comes down to whether or not you want a touch screen. In my opinion, OS6 is best on a touch screen device.
    11-17-10 05:25 PM
    As always it comes down to preference...whether you'd like the sleek form factor of the 9780 or the sliding keyboard of the 9800. IMO, u cant go wrong w/either device. Good luck with whichever one u choose

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-10 05:34 PM
    It comes down to preference. Having owned a 9700 and now having a Torch, I would never go back to the 9700 form factor. OS 6, as stated earlier seems to be made for the Torch. The screen real estate...the pinch to zoom...double tap and swipe to switch between web pages and emails...no more real needs for keyboard shortcuts or another convenience key...The 9780 is a great one as well but I would miss some of these things.
    11-17-10 06:27 PM
    It comes down to preference. Having owned a 9700 and now having a Torch, I would never go back to the 9700 form factor. OS 6, as stated earlier seems to be made for the Torch. The screen real estate...the pinch to zoom...double tap and swipe to switch between web pages and emails...no more real needs for keyboard shortcuts or another convenience key...The 9780 is a great one as well but I would miss some of these things.
    and also depend on witch work environment you are, if construction i def. buy 9780 if office and light work not heavy the torch and his OS6 is a plus
    11-17-10 07:08 PM
    I had the 9700 running os6; it's big step up in os, ESP the browser really.

I bought the Torch for myself now. Screen is amazing, and it just works solo much better than the 9700 on os6. Also I hate 3.2 mb camera.

For my wife, buying her the 9780 as the camera is terrible on 9700 and we use it all the to take photos of the kids.

For me, I did it for the camera firstly, browsing second.

11-17-10 07:27 PM
    I used to own a bold 9700 to and the bold 9000, now I am using the torch. Honestly, it was a hassle with the touch screen and all. But with the new os updates, I don't think I can go back to the 9700 just because of how nice the touch screen is. As the others said, I think it all boils down to whether you like touch screen devices or not.
    11-17-10 08:33 PM
    9800..enough said

The reasons are listed above, but at the end of the day I suggest you play with both and see if you feel comfortable holding the 9800..if you do, take it. Its a great phone
    11-17-10 09:26 PM
    Wow. I was just about to post a post like this for me because my gf needs a new phone and she said the curve 3G will suffice but its a POS compared to the 9700. So I said I might give her me 9700 and for the same price I can get a torch but was scared. This is pretty convincing. My only main gripe is how does the battery life compare to the 9700? Att said they would give me the torch for 50$ so I'm pretty happy with that.

11-17-10 09:32 PM
    I just switched from the 9700 and the battery life used to stretch all day until about 2am constantly screwing with it. This is my 1st entire day with the 9800 and it lasted from 8am ish and was in the red batt drained by 5pm. Hope this helps. But it is a cool phone. As long as you dont think your going to get on the touch screen and start typing. My banana fingers could never accuratley hit the keys. only 1 out of 5 times. but all u have 2 do is use it like the 9700 unless ur browsing or social networking. for this the touchscreen is unbeatable.
    11-17-10 09:41 PM
    I use my Torch for work...pretty heavy use of internet, special sales app for figuring contacts, emails and phone calls. Battery lasts from 7am until late at nite with over 50% left when I put it on the charger at 11pm.

11-17-10 09:50 PM
    Ok that helps someone. I'm an extremely heavy user. We are talking I take my bold off charger around 8am and batt lasts till about 10-11 pm. But I guess I can get more done faster with such a large screen. Biggest reason I use so much is because I can see as much on a smaller screen. Or maybe I'm just trying to justify me getting a new phone. Idk. But I think I'm gonna do it. Thanks guys

11-17-10 10:11 PM
    Ok that helps someone. I'm an extremely heavy user. We are talking I take my bold off charger around 8am and batt lasts till about 10-11 pm. But I guess I can get more done faster with such a large screen. Biggest reason I use so much is because I can see as much on a smaller screen. Or maybe I'm just trying to justify me getting a new phone. Idk. But I think I'm gonna do it. Thanks guys

You must have alot things running in the background or have services running that are not being actively used on your Bold. When I had my 9700, I got much better battery life by closing apps not in use, turning down screen brightness, turning off WiFi and BT when not it use. I also made sure that all web pages were closed. I follow the same with my Torch and I can get way more battery life even on OS .246.
    11-17-10 10:17 PM
    I owned the Curve 3G 9300 for 1 day, then returned it as the Trackpad was horrible, very jerky.

Then I got me a Torch 9800, loved it the first few days, it was like a new toy. But then when it came down to the real thing, I coudn't get used to the physical keyboard as it was too flat out due to the sliding form factor, and I hate typing on the touch screen. The touch screen is good for browsing only or navigating through the OS.

Torch, not for me, I returned it and got a 9700 then loaded OS 6 and have been happier than ever
    11-17-10 10:37 PM
    You must have alot things running in the background or have services running that are not being actively used on your Bold. When I had my 9700, I got much better battery life by closing apps not in use, turning down screen brightness, turning off WiFi and BT when not it use. I also made sure that all web pages were closed. I follow the same with my Torch and I can get way more battery life even on OS .246.
    im just constantly on the web or videos or bbm or text< i due about 12k a month total so i drian and my brightness is at 10. BUT i will say my wifi is always on so ill try that. but ill try the torch for 30 days to see whats good
    11-18-10 12:05 AM
    If you read some of my recent threads I had the same dilema. Just picked up my white 9780 and so far I love it.
    11-18-10 01:27 AM
    Personally, I went from 9700 to Torch not because of the functionality, but because of the way the Torch looks; dammm sexy I think. Yes, looks over functions. I would not go 9700 to 9780, same look what's the point and it's not incredibly faster (let's be real BB processors sucks in terms of smartphones)
    11-18-10 01:58 AM
    I have posted similar comments before but I got the Torch the day it came out and there were hardly any apps that worked with OS6. Is this getting better? Because when I had the Torch I had to constantly use my husband's 9700 to program our DVR (Direct TV app), pay our credit card bill (Discover card app),add movies to my Netflix que (Movela)......I could go on. What's the point? I switched back to my 9700 since I was non productive on OS6. Have they added more since Torch was released? If not, neither phone will work for apps.

11-18-10 09:19 AM
    im just constantly on the web or videos or bbm or text< i due about 12k a month total so i drian and my brightness is at 10. BUT i will say my wifi is always on so ill try that. but ill try the torch for 30 days to see whats good
    Make sure to close all tabs in the browser and close all apps not actively being used.
    11-18-10 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD