I've been sucked into WP7 world with an HTC Surround for the last month or so. Pretty happy with it truth be told. Back on my Torch for today to see/remember what I've been missing or forgot about while dazzled by "new OS syndrome".
    02-04-11 08:55 AM
    Its nice to try out other devices, gives you a better outlook on what's out there, I went from a storm to a storm2 but after 3 replacement storm 2s I went to an iphone 3gs, had it for 3 weeks then went to a 9700 which i used for 11 months and now I am on the Torch.
    02-04-11 08:56 AM
    Its nice to try out other devices, gives you a better outlook on what's out there, I went from a storm to a storm2 but after 3 replacement storm 2s I went to an iphone 3gs, had it for 3 weeks then went to a 9700 which i used for 11 months and now I am on the Torch.
    I agree. I think its good thing to try other platforms so you can really have a better idea of what works best for you. Its easy to say I hate BB/Android or IOS when you actually never really tried them out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-11 12:48 PM
    I'm a geek, so, I like to try new things. And as a result I am also the go to wireless guru my friends and family seek advice from when searching for a new device. It helps me to help them when I have familiarity with all of the different OS platforms to make recommendations.
    Personally I can't stand Android in its current state. I feel like it has tons of potential. I think WP7 is a much better 1.0 mobile OS and will be very good once it hits 2.0. I really thought it handled e-mail quite well, much better than Android or iOS and significantly improved over WM 6.x. Some BB users may not like the lack of unified e-mail inbox but it was kind of nice for me.
    I had a first gen iPhone and really liked it. If I ever get out of my current business (I'm a reporter) I could probably go with an iPhone but as it stands, BB is the best platform for me, because I live on messaging especially e-mail. It allows me to be out in the field and unchained from my desk.
    I think other mobile OS platforms have caught up with BB's power as a mobile messaging platform but it's still the best I've used.
    With WP7 I thought I wouldn't mind the lack of customization but I discovered that bothered me more than I would have guessed. I also just got sick of being less connected. It was nice at first not having an LED constantly blinking red at me, to not have my phone in my hands all the time, but after a while I started missing stuff that was going on because of it. I just need the connectedness BB offers.
    I understand why other folks absolutely love iPhone (my husband has one) or Android but they're not platforms that meet my needs or wants. I have an iPod Touch which gives me all the things that I like about the iPhone. Heh.
    Someday another OS will pull me away from BB completely but it may be a while. At least with a SIM card I have the option to easily bounce around if I want to do so.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    02-04-11 01:17 PM
    Picked up a Captivate and about ready to sell it off after a week.

It looks nice, but all I really do on it is play Angry Birds and look at the live wallpapers... Kind of pointless uses for a phone...

The only nice thing is the processor speed for web browsing, which is much better. Flash is pretty much useless as I expected.

Oh, the other thing it does much better is mapping/navigation. The mapping part I blame google because their GMM app sucks for BB...
    02-04-11 01:46 PM
    And you blame the phone for this?
    Let me reiterate so you can understand. It's not as good for communicating and I can't leave the other chat services running 24/7 because the battery will drop like it's hot.

I have to use the gmail app (not the native client) to get push gmail, then I have to download K9 to manage my hotmail (because the native email client is boo boo and for some reason the native client is pull gmail? but the gmail app is push?). It's not the most straight forward setup since every single thing has it's own app...

Swype is just not that great, so I send less emails and text messages and chats as a result. It's better than the stock keyboard, but not by a large margin and only works well if you are sending proper words, which doesn't happen all that often in chat conversations...

The browser is faster because of the cpu, but the browser features and navigation are not as good... No hardware key shortcuts, no ability to select items on a webpage that does not register the touch even correct (full Paypal site does NOT let you click on the Profile link and you can't fix it because there's no cursor).

The profile management is pretty basic... The LED notification (if you even want to call it that) is minimal. The software keys that you use to do EVERYTHING are invisible most of the time in non-bright areas.

The end result is I mostly play Angry Birds on it...

And if you don't root the phone and use it as stock? I don't think I would even bother with the OS at all because you can't fix a lot of things...
    Last edited by papped; 02-04-11 at 02:37 PM.
    02-04-11 02:32 PM
    Picked up a Captivate and about ready to sell it off after a week.

It looks nice, but all I really do on it is play Angry Birds and look at the live wallpapers... Kind of pointless uses for a phone...

The only nice thing is the processor speed for web browsing, which is much better. Flash is pretty much useless as I expected.

Oh, the other thing it does much better is mapping/navigation. The mapping part I blame google because their GMM app sucks for BB...
    I have a number of friends on Sprint who have the EVO and they are constantly talking about all the issues they have with it... and I remember why I don't like Android. People may not like the comparison, but, frankly Android is in a state at this phase of its development that it reminds me of WM 5. When it gets to 3.0 (or WM 6) I can only hope it doesn't require so many third party apps and widgets, rooting and even ROM flashing to get it to work out of the box.
    Not to mention that I personally found it clunky and counterintuitive.
    I do have some Android Google Maps Nav app envy. That's about the extent of it, though, well and perhaps the processor and screen. But, functionality is SO much more important to me and my BB offers the functionality I personally need and want. I know BB is not for everyone but as you have found out, Android has its disadvantages, as well and just because everyone on Verizon has one now thereby making everyone think they need a "Droid" people think it's THE thing to have if you don't want an iPhone.
    I disagree. And that's OK. As long as everyone is willing to agree to disagree with me if they love their Android devices.
    02-04-11 03:30 PM
    ^^ The experience is very similar to WM (minus the insane slowness).

For me the screen isn't that much of an adjustment from the Torch, which was surprising. The torch screen is smaller, but it's still very sharp for it's size.
    02-04-11 04:04 PM
    ^^ The experience is very similar to WM (minus the insane slowness).

For me the screen isn't that much of an adjustment from the Torch, which was surprising. The torch screen is smaller, but it's still very sharp for it's size.
    Oh, yes, I haven't had really any problems adjusting the smaller screen. I don't mind it at all. I really liked the Samsung's screen, but, that just isn't enough to justify keeping a phone.
    I've had my Torch since the day it launched on at&t in August. I paid full price for it. So, it would take an impressive piece of hardware with an amazing OS platform for me to completely switch.
    For me it was kind of amazing to use a different OS for five weeks straight. That has not happened since I got my first BB in May 2006.
    I couldn't stand to use Android for more than a couple of days at a time. And it was a phone I didn't even pay for! I got rid of it after six weeks.
    02-04-11 04:14 PM
    Yeah I think my run is over after 1 week... Going to hock the captivate on here probably.
    02-04-11 04:16 PM
    Let me reiterate so you can understand. It's not as good for communicating and I can't leave the other chat services running 24/7 because the battery will drop like it's hot.

I have to use the gmail app (not the native client) to get push gmail, then I have to download K9 to manage my hotmail (because the native email client is boo boo and for some reason the native client is pull gmail? but the gmail app is push?). It's not the most straight forward setup since every single thing has it's own app...

Swype is just not that great, so I send less emails and text messages and chats as a result. It's better than the stock keyboard, but not by a large margin and only works well if you are sending proper words, which doesn't happen all that often in chat conversations...

The browser is faster because of the cpu, but the browser features and navigation are not as good... No hardware key shortcuts, no ability to select items on a webpage that does not register the touch even correct (full Paypal site does NOT let you click on the Profile link and you can't fix it because there's no cursor).

The profile management is pretty basic... The LED notification (if you even want to call it that) is minimal. The software keys that you use to do EVERYTHING are invisible most of the time in non-bright areas.

The end result is I mostly play Angry Birds on it...

And if you don't root the phone and use it as stock? I don't think I would even bother with the OS at all because you can't fix a lot of things...
    Like I said before,you tried it out and Android isn't for you,I totally understand that. I had the complete opposite experience from BB to Android, just personal preference I guess.

02-04-11 04:21 PM
    Yeah I think my run is over after 1 week... Going to hock the captivate on here probably.
    I usually give a device about a month before I move on, but, that's usually using a phone on the weekends only. So, a week isn't bad.

Like I said before,you tried it out and Android isn't for you,I totally understand that. I had the complete opposite experience from BB to Android, just personal preference I guess.

Indeed. Thanks for agreeing to disagree!
    I'm curious, though, what do you like about Android versus BB? I have tried to like Android and just... don't. But, when I talk to friends they're like, 'Look at all the apps! And, I can talk at my phone and it does stuff! And, ooh, look at the live wallpaper.' And that's about it.
    It sounds like you could better articulate what you like about Android so I would love to read your perspective.
    02-04-11 05:08 PM
    As polished as some of the Android apps are, I had a hard time actually finding a lot of apps that I felt useful... So while the BB app support is not the largest or greatest, the number of apps I used on Android wasn't exactly any higher. A lot of the other apps ending up being the same apps I already used on BB (pandora, Poynt, Trillian).

90% of the apps I downloaded were to overcome stuff that the OS was missing (stuff like the default Launcher sucking, unread counts for notifications, new email client, new sms client, file manager, etc).
    02-04-11 05:22 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD