Alright, here goes. I see a fair amount of talk about OS versions so I decided to check mine, where I thought was the correct place...

Options > About device versions.

It shows 6.0 Bundle 695 (v6.0.0.246)

Is this my BB OS version (the .246 people talk about)? Or am I in the wrong spot completely? Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-11 10:13 PM
    You got it right! Your 'app version' (OS) is the 6.0.0.xxx, and the xxx is usually what people are refering to. While there are other updates included in the OS 6 download bundles, the 'app version' (OS) is what everyone is refering to.

Hope that helped :s ?

04-02-11 10:16 PM
    You helped in one and confused me right after, maybe. Heh.

Alright, so let's say I wanted to change that to a .448 or a .450 (as examples) how would I go about that? I have run all available updates and my phone says its up to date.

04-02-11 10:19 PM
    Best thing to do is check BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites to see if your carrier has made a newer version "offical". You can use another carrier's version, or even a leaked version (check the 'sticky' in the fourm.

When downloading an update from the blackberry carrier sire, once you download the program, it is pretty straight forward. I would recomend making a back-up in desktop manager before you start, and then make sure desktop manager is closed before you start the update process...

The only difference between an "offical" version is that the carrier has taken the time to fully test and "approve" the version before releasing. Leaked versions also come from RIM. Updating to an "unoffical" version will not void your warranty...

Hope that cleared it up, and sorry for making it confusing... There are other threads about it, and you can check the 'how to' section if you would like some step by step guidance...

Good luck

04-02-11 10:26 PM
    Nah. No guidance needed, thanks for the help!

04-02-11 10:27 PM
    After a quick check my bundle is 695 and the apps are 246. Works for me.

04-02-11 10:31 PM
    Perfect! OS upgrades aren't always nessicary. If ain't broke, don't fix it... You can always check the fourms to see if other users have upgraded / noticed improvements on the version you are thinking of, before upgrading.

Unless you absolutely want to upgrade, then go for it! I can tell you that I personally noticed a web browsing improvement from 6.0.0.246 to 6.0.0.448, but that's just me...

Again, if it ain't broke, why fix it ??

Cheers

04-02-11 10:35 PM
    You helped in one and confused me right after, maybe. Heh.

Alright, so let's say I wanted to change that to a .448 or a .450 (as examples) how would I go about that? I have run all available updates and my phone says its up to date.

Try going to this forum: Leaked/Beta OS - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    and look for anything related to the 9800. In fact there's a brand new leak there from Saturday evening (.526). In any one of those threads, look for Elite1's very detailed instructions on how to install a leaked OS.

FYI, leaks are not pirateware or anything unofficial; they're full-function OS's that come directly from RIM but have not yet been tested and certified by the carriers. But they are all 'ready for prime time'. And as Tbrenn says, there have been a lot of improvements in releases since .246. If you browse a lot, you'll notice a big change in the browser.

If you have any questions, post them here or in the Leaks forum ... lots of people who have installed them and are willing to help.
    Last edited by 18to12fitty; 04-02-11 at 11:35 PM.
    04-02-11 11:29 PM
    Wow. I do tons of browsing and I always found it to be laggy and slower than my old phone. Time to do some checking around I guess!

Thanks guys. Research time.

04-03-11 07:12 AM
    Installed 526 and overall the browsing seems smoother than 246. It loads a bit slower but i'll wait to pass judgement on it.

Thanks for the help guys.

04-03-11 08:27 AM
    Installed 526 and overall the browsing seems smoother than 246. It loads a bit slower but i'll wait to pass judgement on it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Do a couple battery pulls(always recommended when installing a new OS) then wait a day to let the OS "settle" in until you pass judgment.
    04-03-11 08:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD