I as because I went to BB today afte convincing myself into replacing my T-Mo (all inclusive 9700) with a 9800 on a throttled-back limited plan. Well, while at BB, I saw in the fine print that "tethering" your PC to the 9800 will set you back another $20 per/mo. I was all set to dump my $99 T-Mo all inclusive plan for AT&T's limited plan which would have set me back $115 less the tethering plan. I kow PDaNet is available,..but don't really want to get busted side-swiping data with my PC via the 9800.

Well, the 9800 at Best Buy is $0.00,...and I nearly pulled the trigger,...but decided not to, because I do use my 9700 to connect to the internet when I'm away from home,...and T-Mo's $99 plan is very hard to beat. So, it looks like I will not owne a BB Torch!

That said, my other consideration is an EVO from Sprint.

Oh well,...I'll soldier on with my 9700 for a while more. Hopefully T-Mo will get some better BBs,...to include the 9800 or whatever is next beyond the 9780!
    12-16-10 06:26 PM
    There's Tether in appworld & PDA-Net. I'm sure there are other choices. I use PDA-Net because I've had it on other phones. If your tethering isn't excessive, there shouldn't be a problem. If there's a huge difference when you start tethering, yes, you'll get caught. And, unless you're already grandfathered into an unlimited data plan, there are only limited plans with added costs for overages.
    12-16-10 10:13 PM
    I use mine a as a modem I looked it up on-line and there is a tutorial on a how to, don't waste your money on the programs when in 10mins you can do it yourself! Btw I have an unlimited bb plan from back in the day so I don't have to worry about usage, and since I started tethering it my usage has gone way up! Why don't you just buy the torch and unlock it for t-mobile???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-10 08:12 AM
    People use Tether and other apps like that because they hide that youre actually tethering. The data appears to be just you using your smartphone. Some providers/plans dont include tethering and charge you extra if you tether. So using something like Tether, you get around paying that extra charge.

Thankfully my plan includes tethering and I just set it up as a modem via usb. Bluetooth I find insanely slow.
    12-17-10 08:20 AM
    I use AT&T's ACM software. My company pays the additional fee for me to tether.
    12-17-10 08:27 AM
    I have an unlocked 9800 on tmobile which I tether with Tether. Works fine. I have the even more plus plan. Like $79 plus insurance tax etc. I pay like $100- $110 a month.

12-17-10 08:47 AM
    Cool,...thanks to all that replied thus far. @Mistabaloo,...an unlocked 9800 on T-Mo is outta the question,...as I'd never pay full retail price for any kind of hand-held device,...no matter what it does. Smartphones are nice,..but not one is that nice imho!

...Heading to the Sprint Store,....checking out the EVO,...for the third time,...as it runs a wifi "hotspot".

Again,...thanks to all.
    12-17-10 12:43 PM
    I can only say for Tether but, as has already been posted here, when you use Tether it looks to you carrier that you are simply using the BlackBerry default browser to surf.

Normal tethering via Desktop Manager will send the traffic out on a specific IP port designated by RIM for tethering. This makes it easy for carriers to monito this port and to either block tethered traffic or to charge you for using it.

Tether on the other hand sends, as I said, all its traffic out on the same port as the internal browser thus "fooling" the carrier into think youare just surfing from the phone. Now if you start downloading movies using Tether even a carrier will wake up and take notice. They will (not that word) detect the sudden increase in traffic.

The key then is to be sensible when tehtering with Tether and let sleeping dogs lie.

Other products may do this too but I am not sure which.
    12-17-10 01:00 PM
    Cool,...thanks to all that replied thus far. @Mistabaloo,...an unlocked 9800 on T-Mo is outta the question,...as I'd never pay full retail price for any kind of hand-held device,...no matter what it does. Smartphones are nice,..but not one is that nice imho!

...Heading to the Sprint Store,....checking out the EVO,...for the third time,...as it runs a wifi "hotspot".

Again,...thanks to all.
    If you want a phone that can create hotspots, you can also look at nokias running symbian. Theyve had the ability to do that for years.
    12-17-10 01:19 PM
    I can only say for Tether but, as has already been posted here, when you use Tether it looks to you carrier that you are simply using the BlackBerry default browser to surf.

Other products may do this too but I am not sure which.
    You don't have to use the desktop manager to tether. You can simply set it up as a modem. I have done this for years and have never had a problem.
    12-17-10 05:16 PM
    You don't have to use the desktop manager to tether. You can simply set it up as a modem. I have done this for years and have never had a problem.
    +1. Have done the same thing with no issues but I'm with Bell Mobility in Canada
    12-17-10 07:15 PM
    Well, knowing me,....I'd get caught using Tether. That said, I came very close to getting the EVO today! Too bad 4G isn't in my area,....as that would have sealed the deal. I discovered that I can get a similar plan via Sprint as I do with T-Mo. Sprint has a $69 plan that provides unlimited mobile-to-mobile with 450 minutes for land lines. If I add on a $30 "HotSpot" plan,...it evens everything out. The only caveat is the $10 per/mo you pay for 4G (WIMAX) service that doens't exist in my area,...and prolly won't for a while.

Anyway, I still couldn't bring myself to part service with T-Mo,...and mainly,...part ways with BB.
    12-17-10 09:11 PM
    question for jasonvw

i too set up as a modem and tether via bluetooth and i also noticed that the connection is rather slow. you say it is faster when set up as a modem and tethered through USB, instead of bluetooth. i would like to try this but i am worried about the phone's battery being charged in process i thought it was/is harmful to charge the battery when it does not need to be. is there an option to not charge the battery or how do you do it haha ?
    12-17-10 09:41 PM
    ^There is absolutely nothing wrong with topping off the charge on your battery while connected via usb. You shouldn't be letting your battery die on a regular basis, and the current thinking with lithium batteries is that you should be charging them whenever you can, no matter how much charge you have left.

12-18-10 12:58 AM
    ...That's true abt the btry,...at least it has been true for my experience. If you have OS6 installed, you can select "USB Drive,...Sync Media,...or Charge Only" whenever you connect the USB cable.

As for tethering speed via BT or USB,...I find no difference in page loading speed btwn the two.
    Last edited by JMDBERRY; 12-19-10 at 11:53 AM.
    12-18-10 09:59 AM
    I'm on Vodafone Hungary (AT&T Torch unlocked), somehow the tethering doesn't work with DM (with my previous device it worked /BB 9000/). The only way I can tether is the AT&T Communication manager with a profile with my carrier settings.
    12-18-10 12:29 PM
    How do you set up tethering over bluetooth? The Blackberry desktop software doesn't allow this.

What sort of connection do you set up in the network and sharing center?

Thanks!
    01-15-11 02:32 PM
    How do you set up tethering over bluetooth? The Blackberry desktop software doesn't allow this.

What sort of connection do you set up in the network and sharing center?

Thanks!

As well as I know there is no BT thetering option on BB devices. They communicate that it is missing because of security reasons.
    01-15-11 02:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD