Wondering if anyone knows how to do this? Or if there is a specific device/accessory that would allow me to do this?

Background: My brother is getting married on Saturday.
    Our brother-in-law is stuck down in the U.S. and can't make it back for the wedding.
    I'm the emcee for the night, and would like to suprise everyone by calling the brother-in-law from the podium and having him congratulate the bride and groom from my Torch.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much,
    Mike.
    11-24-10 01:44 PM
    Should be able to just plug it into the headphone port.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-10 01:51 PM
    Speakerphone?

Other then that I can't think of anything that could work. Maybe, just maybe the conference services people might be able to hook something up into the system. I can't think of anyway to do this though (I did A/V at a conference center all through high school). I'm thinking like the way the BB headphones work, but I don't know of any cord that could do this. I don't see any reason why just using the speaker phone wouldn't work though.

11-24-10 01:53 PM
    Should be able to just plug it into the headphone port.

Not sure if this would work. How's the person on the phone suppose to hear others talking? Would need a microphone somewhere.

11-24-10 02:05 PM
    Not sure if this would work. How's the person on the phone suppose to hear others talking? Would need a microphone somewhere.

I think this would work just fine with the microphone on the telephone. If you look at the actual jack - you will see three bands one is for the microphone. If you look at the jack for a set of headphones it will only have one or two bands.

I THINK that's how it works *shrug*
    11-24-10 02:22 PM
    I think this would work just fine with the microphone on the telephone. If you look at the actual jack - you will see three bands one is for the microphone. If you look at the jack for a set of headphones it will only have one or two bands.

I THINK that's how it works *shrug*
    It could, but I don't think so...

The microphone on the phone will not work when something is plugged into the phone. It's either headset or handset, can't have both.

The 3 bands are for microphone (like you said), right audio, and left audio (think red and white A/V rca cables to hook up your DVD player). Some headphones do only have one stripe on them, but that will give you only one channel, like a wired headset for talking on the phone, the other would be for microphone.

For this to work you'd need a cord that would have a mini jack on one end with 3 lines on it. The other end would need two rca's (red and white) that you would input into the speaker system. Then another rca (or equivalent) that would be connected to an output of the banquet rooms microphone. I don't know of a cord like this even exists, it might though...

11-24-10 02:52 PM
    Bluetooth? Not sure how the PA system will be set up, so I'm just going to throw that out there.

11-24-10 04:24 PM
    If the PA system has a FM receiver, you could try getting your hands on a Bluetooth speakerphone like the Motorola T505. It has a built-in FM modulator to stream the phone audio to the FM source unit and you could talk into the speakerphone itself. The FM range isn't great though, so you have to be pretty close to the receiver.

11-24-10 05:06 PM
    OP, I would maybe try calling the place that the wedding is being held at, and discussing this with them to see if they have any suggestions. Maybe talking to them the day of would even work.

This is very possible, just maybe not from your Torch. I'm sure the place has some Polycom conference phones, and some of them you're able to hook up to an external audio system. I know this wouldn't be as cool as using your Torch would be, but it would work much better and be less problematic. This would probably cost a little more too for renting the phone and any long-distance charges there might be. You only get hitched once though (well that's the plan), and it is your brother...
    11-24-10 06:13 PM
    Unless the Torch is drastically different from my Bold, the microphone on the handset will work if there are headphones plugged in. The only time the handset mic is disabled is when a headset with that third microphone band is plugged in. So here's what you do:

Most likely the mixer or receiver at the venue is going to have RCA inputs (the coaxial cable with the white and red male fittings). Go to RadioShack (or your Canadian counterpart) and pick up a 1/8" male stereo headphone jack to stereo RCA patch cable. If the receiver or mixer only has XLR connections available, you'll be able to buy that patch cable as well.

If the mic doesn't pick up th crowd, you can just speak into th handset to translate. Even if the mic won't work, oh well. At least the brother-in-law can call and congratulate and say hey to everyone.

11-24-10 07:00 PM
    If the PA system has a FM receiver, you could try getting your hands on a Bluetooth speakerphone like the Motorola T505. It has a built-in FM modulator to stream the phone audio to the FM source unit and you could talk into the speakerphone itself. The FM range isn't great though, so you have to be pretty close to the receiver.

Blackberry has a.visor mount. Bluetooth hands free that broadcasts on fm. $80 at Costco in Canada.

11-24-10 08:40 PM
    Didnt previous blackberries come with wired handsfree kits (earbuds and a little mic on a wire)? I think my bold did...not sure if my Torch came with one.

Anyway, if those still work (mic AND earbuds) you can cut the earbuds off and attach a 1/8" or 1/4" jack which you can then insert into the DJ's mixer. Same with the mic. If you are good with electronics its a pretty easy thing to do.
    11-24-10 08:56 PM
    The phone mic does definitely work with something plugged into the jack, was doing it today on my car stereo aux input when I took a call while listening to mp3s off the phone. Had my call coming thru the car speakers, and the caller could hear me just fine.

I bet the mic would pick up the crowd ok as long as 80 people aren't talking all at once.

11-24-10 10:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD