Reposting this off Slickdeals in case people are interested:

Was looking to pick up a phone for the wifey and look what I saw....Torch is now FREE at AW

That was quick!

AmazonWireless: BlackBerry Torch 9800 Phone (AT&T)

Anyone else thinking about picking one of these up at this price?
    Last edited by jastevenson; 11-02-10 at 01:23 PM.
    11-02-10 01:15 PM
    Was a steal at $99, so yeah I'd go for it.
    11-02-10 01:24 PM
    Where's aw? Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-10 01:44 PM
    Reposting this off Slickdeals in case people are interested:

Was looking to pick up a phone for the wifey and look what I saw....Torch is now FREE at AW

That was quick!

AmazonWireless: BlackBerry Torch 9800 Phone (AT&T)

Anyone else thinking about picking one of these up at this price?
    Hmmmmm, with the price dropping I wonder if this could indicate the AT&T exclusivity deal coming towards an end? T-Mobile for the Torch! (Please)

11-02-10 02:00 PM
    Its only "free" if you are a new ATT individual account holder. If you are existing and want to upgrade and on a family plan, its the normal $199. Got all excited for my daughter only to have my hopes dashed.
    11-02-10 02:04 PM
    Hmmmmm, with the price dropping I wonder if this could indicate the AT&T exclusivity deal coming towards an end? T-Mobile for the Torch! (Please)

I doubt it because it's an Amazon subsidization, not AT&T.

This doesn't reflect any price change by AT&T.
    11-02-10 02:12 PM
    Its only "free" if you are a new ATT individual account holder. If you are existing and want to upgrade and on a family plan, its the normal $199. Got all excited for my daughter only to have my hopes dashed.
    i just got one here with a cleaning kit and hard case for 126 at my door

Welcome to our Wireless World

use this for your ibo 4830003
    11-02-10 02:18 PM
    hahaha at Rogers the price INCREASED to $229 as per Cellguru's blog post
    11-02-10 02:32 PM
    I had to wait a week to get mine on Bell. So I'm not sure what's going on.
    11-02-10 02:55 PM
    11-02-10 02:55 PM
    I am waiting for the upcoming BOLD 9780 and I must say this is very tempting. This is really hard lol. Is signing up through Amazon the same as AT&T? Hopefully they'll offer the 9780 free through Amazon shorty after its release
    11-02-10 03:12 PM
    11-02-10 03:27 PM
    .01 with new service only .......existing customers 99.00 and 199.99
    just say n.
    11-02-10 07:48 PM
    existing customers @ $99 is still quite good and far cheaper than AT&T or other resellers with no tax... Especially if you live in a state that charges tax on full retail...
    11-02-10 07:50 PM
    hahaha at Rogers the price INCREASED to $229 as per Cellguru's blog post
    What a bunch of robbers. I can't believe they are upping their prices when this is one of the hottest selling phone at the moment. Looks like Bell and Telus will be at an advantage.
    11-03-10 01:34 AM
    Yeah, I don't get them upping the price. But it is selling well in Canada still.

My friends camera wasn't working so she had to go get it replaced and they were out again. She had to go back in a couple days later to get her replacement.

So since they are selling so well maybe they figure they can just squeeze a little more money out of us...
    11-03-10 02:21 AM
    I'll wait till its free or near free

11-03-10 03:25 AM
    But it's already free...?

I'll wait till its free or near free

Edit: doh, I just saw you're on Rogers.
    11-03-10 04:28 PM
    But it's already free...?

Edit: doh, I just saw you're on Rogers.
    Why do you need to pay? Over here (UK) handsets are free on the majority of tariffs (except the iphone) and newly released phones on low end tariffs.

11-03-10 05:42 PM
    Why do you need to pay? Over here (UK) handsets are free on the majority of tariffs (except the iphone) and newly released phones on low end tariffs.

OMG, you haven't been to North America long enough to understand that the providers here are ripping us off. Tariffs/Contracts are 3 years long and still no free phones. An average plan is like $80 per months. It's highway robbery I know but if they can get away with it, they will because they know they can.
    11-03-10 11:23 PM
    OMG, you haven't been to North America long enough to understand that the providers here are ripping us off. Tariffs/Contracts are 3 years long and still no free phones. An average plan is like $80 per months. It's highway robbery I know but if they can get away with it, they will because they know they can.
    I've not been to North America period. There's enough providers there which should allow for competition between them all right? The providers over here are starting to jump on the bandwagon with 3 year contracts. but still we'll get a 'free' device.

Hopefully with this economic downturn the providers will have to start doing something in order to keep your custom, perhaps it's only a slight hope, but you never know!

11-04-10 02:37 PM
    Surprised it's still free. It's been a few days!
    11-06-10 07:56 PM
    I won't try to justify the costs of owning a cell phone in Canada compared to a European nation but now you have made me think of this question.
    Would it not cost more to setup a network across almost 3000miles, coast to coast, for our country of only 34 million people compared to countries which span <300miles each and have populations double that of ours?
    In a nutshell it's a much higher cost to setup/run a cellular network, per person, here than in Europe? I could be completely wrong that's why I ask.
    Please excuse my lack of technical terminology. I don't work for the service providers and I'm not an economics prof.
    11-06-10 10:57 PM

T-Mobile is getting the Torch in Q1 of 2010, my job which has a contract with T-mobile for our global cellular needs is deploying them as soon as January.
    11-07-10 08:48 AM
    I won't try to justify the costs of owning a cell phone in Canada compared to a European nation but now you have made me think of this question.
    Would it not cost more to setup a network across almost 3000miles, coast to coast, for our country of only 34 million people compared to countries which span <300miles each and have populations double that of ours?
    In a nutshell it's a much higher cost to setup/run a cellular network, per person, here than in Europe? I could be completely wrong that's why I ask.
    Please excuse my lack of technical terminology. I don't work for the service providers and I'm not an economics prof.
    With Canada there is only 3 monopoly player. Yes their argument is just like yours but we all know that's not true because their cost to build towers is the same like any other country. Each of the provider have licenses to two different spectrum. The 1900 mhz spectrum is used in rural places that can reach great distances. The 800/850 mhz is mainly used in metropolitan places to penetrate through buildings. In other words, its the same amount of towers to cover the same amount of concentrated people.

Up until the Fido and Clearnet days many people were enjoying the most competitive time in Canadian wireless history until the big 3 started eating up the smaller companies. Recently the government came to realization how powerful the big 3 are, they finally allowed for more competition by reserving new spectrums for new companies only. The big 3 are profiting billions and billions of dollars annually. Its about time us Canadian see some changes.
    11-07-10 11:43 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD