Hi..long time lurker never had to ask question usually always find answers here from super helpful crackberriers..but NOW....i am on my 4th torch since i made the switch from TMobile for this damn phone...REGRET IT. But i was getting used to the constant dropped calls cause phone is "nifty" but this is now my 4th torch w same problem- browers freezes and only a battery pull fixes it..for about 2 or 3 browers openings..then back to freezing..but facebook and twitter works..i got 3rd REFURB on Fri got home and not only did the camera not work- flash went off but never actually took picture- the whole ottom row on keypad wouldnt depress..So much for QC. Went back Sat got 4th..all seemed well hopped on browser first time..freeze..called tech support..she walked my through a BBDTop backup then had me do a wipe..total wipe..plugged back into DTop manager pics went back, lost ALL CONTACTS AND APPS...ALL. This was 745pm my time by this point and the cust care folk had all gone home and I was left w a wiped phone and no one to yell at... i was on w those ***** for 2.5 hours or so and NO ONE seemed to help..Ontop of that due to the wipe my USB wouldnt recognize the phone any longer..I was LIVID. I almost put my fist through a wall and the phone under my truck tires. After some very long moments of panic and lots of cursing i HAPPENED to get the phone and DTM to connect and happened to find a restore button..i tried it- what did i have to lose afterall..Worked..all was put back as it was from the original back up time of 5 25pm...BUT- i am still back to the original prob...Freezing Browser..so do i get a 5TH Torch or just be done w it.. did i say I HATE ATT service? WTF. Leaving TMobile was dumbest thing for a buggy phone..HELP
    12-14-10 12:35 AM
    What OS version comes with it?

Many people with .337 (and even people with .247) have had the browser freezing problem. I'd say try to switch OS versions (whether you have to upgrade or down) and see if that fixes your problem.

If not, then I suggest you either sell the phone off and get the 9780 OR use a 3rd party browser... ie. Bolt.

My phone actually had that browser problem a lot but after continued use it started to not happen... I'm sure future OS updates will address this problem.

Hmm... After reading your post once again why don't you try a complete wipe of the phone... reinstalling the OS WITHOUT restoring your backed up files? Sometimes when you back up your phone the glitches also come with it, hence you having the same problem.

Hope you find a solution.
    12-14-10 12:49 AM
    Hi there. I'm having the same problem. I just upgraded from a BB Pearl to the Torch and I have loved it until today. I had an email that had a link to a web page for a survey, and I clicked it in the email, and since then my Safari Browser freezes.

I read that pulling the battery helps, so I will try that 1st, but does anyone know if this is a common problem? If I have to change my Browser as suggested above, how do I go about it? Any help would be appreciated. Merry Christmas.
    12-20-10 04:03 PM
    Hi there. I'm having the same problem. I just upgraded from a BB Pearl to the Torch and I have loved it until today. I had an email that had a link to a web page for a survey, and I clicked it in the email, and since then my Safari Browser freezes.

I read that pulling the battery helps, so I will try that 1st, but does anyone know if this is a common problem? If I have to change my Browser as suggested above, how do I go about it? Any help would be appreciated. Merry Christmas.
    The link to the "survey" probably contained "flash" in it..so this was probably what accounted for the freezing issue. The battery pull should rectify the problem. As far as freezing issues..i never had any problems on my Torch..but it sounds like it's happening to a few more people from reading these forums. And just a heads up..the Safari Browser is an iPhone thing..the Torch browser is the Webkit.
    12-20-10 05:23 PM
    I've never had this problem on my 9800 and I've had .246 and now .337 OS.

Try going to the AT&T store and have the rep there witness the freezing issue. Ask for a replacement and test the browser IN THE STORE in front of the rep.

Best of luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-10 05:54 PM
    I'm with hmutt on this. Go back to the store and have a rep see what is happening. I've run into some stubborn AT&T reps, but when you are a customer and have had this much trouble, you need to get good assistance and get this resolved.

I'm on .246 and haven't had the problems you are having at all. I really hope that you can get this worked out. The Torch is a wonderful phone. I hope you can get to experience that.
    12-20-10 07:41 PM
    What freezing issue? If you hit a site with flash, eventually it times out with a flash error message. I have never had the browser just hang on any load past 246. If any app hangs usually you can use the app switcher to activate another app then back again. Once back in the app, usually you can get a response to close it down.

Please list some of these suspect sites. I am betting the 9780 responds in the exact same manner meaning this is an OS issue for some improperly built mobile sites and not a Torch issue.

Last edited by shansmi; 12-20-10 at 08:35 PM.
    12-20-10 08:33 PM
    I would also like to see the site address for the ones that crash the webkit browser. I can understand the timeouts for flash enabled sites but I've yet to have any site crash, lockup, or reboot my Torch. Seeing as the OS6 webkit browser scores 100% on the Acid 3 tests, I suspect the sites in question have faulty code.

12-20-10 09:29 PM
    I would also like to see the site address for the ones that crash the webkit browser. I can understand the timeouts for flash enabled sites but I've yet to have any site crash, lockup, or reboot my Torch. Seeing as the OS6 webkit browser scores 100% on the Acid 3 tests, I suspect the sites in question have faulty code.

I've noticed it freezes when launched from the social app more than anything. Not too often, but its annoying cause I have to reboot the device.

12-29-10 07:41 AM
    Same problem here, and hitting the red, "end" button will clear the jam-up, but to regain browsed functionality, I have to alt-caps-del or batt pull. Highly annoying, considering this is a top-of-line device. But damn it, I still love the thing!

"I wish I knew how to quit you!"

(lol)

12-29-10 09:28 AM
    Any resolution here? I received the Torch from my employer about a month ago.. They gave it to me after my Bold 9700 needed a 2nd OS re-install in 3 months.. I miss my tour on VZW... Anyway, I have been searching high and low to find out what the fix to the browser freeze is? I sometimes go a couple days w/o having to pull the battery, but sometimes have to pull it twice a day. I click on the browser icon or any other website shortcuts and it just freezes. I have to hit the END button to resume functionality, but have to do a battery pull to be able to use the browser (or web shortcuts). My LinkedIn and eBay apps work fine.. I tried to install the OS update, but my company blocks this function.. Any advice? PLEASE???
    01-01-11 07:41 PM
    Make sure you close the browser when you're done using it. It seems that if the browser is open when you try to launch from the social apps / e-mail / whatever, it has a tenancy to freeze. just a theory I'm working on right now, so, YMMV.
    01-01-11 09:29 PM
    No solution until some suspect URLs are provided as requested.

01-01-11 10:12 PM
    Make sure you close the browser when you're done using it. It seems that if the browser is open when you try to launch from the social apps / e-mail / whatever, it has a tenancy to freeze. just a theory I'm working on right now, so, YMMV.
    Are you on a Torch and running .337? I ask because your profile says you have a 9700.

I haven't noticed that crashing on my Torch. Are you talking about clicking on a link that's in an email? On mine when I click a link in an email, I get a prompt asking if I want to connect to whatever the link address is, I click yes and it connects just fine.

I only have FB running on my social feeds and just use it for status updates or comments so I can't answer about crashes through there.

Let us know what you find out with your theory. In fact shoot me a PM and I'll give you an email address tied to my BB. Send me one of the links that are crashing when launched from an email on your device and I'll see if it crashes on mine.
    Last edited by cwmont; 01-02-11 at 12:11 AM.
    01-02-11 12:07 AM
    It's not happened to me since the last battery pull. Before that, I was generally doing soft resets (alt-shift-bksp). Generally, I would see it hang when hitting a gizmodo or crackberry article from the RSS feeds within the social feed app. If I hit it again, I'll past the URL here.
    01-03-11 10:43 AM
    It's not happened to me since the last battery pull. Before that, I was generally doing soft resets (alt-shift-bksp). Generally, I would see it hang when hitting a gizmodo or crackberry article from the RSS feeds within the social feed app. If I hit it again, I'll past the URL here.
    Sometimes a battery pull clears everything up. I'm not running any RSS feeds but yesterday I was able to connect to web links through my FB social feeds with no problem. I'll try some RSS feeds and see what happens.

01-03-11 11:43 AM
    Saw this in another article - worked for my 9800;

By any chance, did you move a media card from your old BlackBerry over to this one?

if so, read this:

Read this on how fix the Media Card (courtesy of John Clark, another expert here in the Forum):

1. Removed the Media Card from the device and put in a card reader. This makes the rest of the process much quicker. However, you can do it with the card in the device.

2. Copy the entire contents of the card to your PC.

3. Put the card back in the device and go to Options >Media Card >Menu key >Format Card. This will wipe the card and reformat it. (if using a card reader remove the card and put it back in the reader.)

4. Now copy back JUST the media to the device. Do NOT copy back any "BBthumbs.dat" files or any system files. I went through the entire folder and deleted every .dat file before copying the contents of the music folder and pictures folders back to the device. The device will recreate these files. Also, I didn't copy the actual "music" folder but rather just copied the contents and pasted in the card's \Blackberry\music folder. Do this for each folder.

5. When finished put the card back in the device and try the Media App again. It should scan for music. If you have lots of music it can take 5-10 minutes. During scanning you can open the Music app and you should be able to see the songs moving around in the list as the device scans

If after transferring all your files back you still get a stuck scanning bar or device reboots then you have a conflicting file on the card. I've seen video files do this but it could be a music file too or (less likely) a picture file. Remove all the files you transferred and see if the reboots stop. Then add back each folder one at a time to see if you can narrow down to the folder that's causing it. Once you find the folder then you can narrow down to a particular file.
    03-15-11 04:06 PM
    It happens on mine too, it's something in the latest OS release or an updated app is hosing it. All I know is it is VERY frustrating. This could ruin RIM if they don't fix it fast.

Hi..long time lurker never had to ask question usually always find answers here from super helpful crackberriers..but NOW....i am on my 4th torch since i made the switch from TMobile for this damn phone...REGRET IT. But i was getting used to the constant dropped calls cause phone is "nifty" but this is now my 4th torch w same problem- browers freezes and only a battery pull fixes it..for about 2 or 3 browers openings..then back to freezing..but facebook and twitter works..i got 3rd REFURB on Fri got home and not only did the camera not work- flash went off but never actually took picture- the whole ottom row on keypad wouldnt depress..So much for QC. Went back Sat got 4th..all seemed well hopped on browser first time..freeze..called tech support..she walked my through a BBDTop backup then had me do a wipe..total wipe..plugged back into DTop manager pics went back, lost ALL CONTACTS AND APPS...ALL. This was 745pm my time by this point and the cust care folk had all gone home and I was left w a wiped phone and no one to yell at... i was on w those ***** for 2.5 hours or so and NO ONE seemed to help..Ontop of that due to the wipe my USB wouldnt recognize the phone any longer..I was LIVID. I almost put my fist through a wall and the phone under my truck tires. After some very long moments of panic and lots of cursing i HAPPENED to get the phone and DTM to connect and happened to find a restore button..i tried it- what did i have to lose afterall..Worked..all was put back as it was from the original back up time of 5 25pm...BUT- i am still back to the original prob...Freezing Browser..so do i get a 5TH Torch or just be done w it.. did i say I HATE ATT service? WTF. Leaving TMobile was dumbest thing for a buggy phone..HELP
    04-05-11 05:22 PM
    I'd like to get answers to this one as well. I have had no problems with The Torch outside of the wobbly keyboard and I exchanged that one. However, three of my very good friends who all went out and bought a Torch on my recommendation have had nothing but problems since they got theirs. Same issues, freezing every time you turn around. I even loaded newer OS's for them and same thing.
    04-05-11 05:34 PM
    Very curious.

I've not had these sorts of problems. I have observed that after Desktop Manager has an update for the torch, that it doesn't operate properly until a battery pull. (slow, hangs, etc)
    04-05-11 07:15 PM
    I've never had any kind of problems like this with my browser. Just want to ask ... are you sure the device is freezing, or is it just really slow loading a page? I've seen the browser choke on some full web sites, where it seems to be doing nothing for about 10 seconds, then finally loads the rest of the page, even over WiFi. Ironically the full version of CrackBerry (as opposed to the mobile version) is one of the worst of these. But if you don't know any better, it looks like it just died.

As for alternate browsers, I just installed Opera Mini and I'm kinda liking it (m.opera.com). I tried Bolt some time ago and removed it after about an hour -- did not care for it at all.
    04-05-11 07:31 PM
    I just received the Torch yesterday and while getting everything loaded it froze up on me probably 7 times. I have software version 526 I believe and it has been horrible. I tried the wipe it clean and start fresh but while adding contacts to it, it froze 3 times again. I have already contacted AT&T and they said it is a common problem that I should just return it. I have an RMA to return it, but I'm trying all possible fixes before I do. Does anyone know of anything else to do or should I just wait on the next phone to come out and keep my Bold?
    05-27-11 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD