Hi all, both my DH and I purchased Rogers Blackberry Torches here in Canada and 4 days after buying them on a 3 year plan, my hubby dropped his in the friggin' toilet!!!! Anyhow, we turned it off and took the battery out right away and dried it off asap and put it in a baggie with rice for past 4 days with no success.......we were away for 4 days and had left it in rice and tried to turn it on today and the phone tries to turn on but then dies.........any suggestions???? You can't get insurance for physical or water damage to your phones with Rogers only operating problems, and now that my hubby's phone tab is bright red in the back from the "water damage" we are pretty much hooped!!! Any suggestions from anyone............he just wants to puke..........

Thanks,
    Leah
    11-11-10 07:18 PM
    If being in rice for 4 days didn't work then it may be toast. You can try dipping it in alcohol. Read the thread a few posts down titled soaked Blackberry Torch as the method is explained in that thread.
    11-11-10 07:26 PM
    First, toss that rice out so it never makes it to the dinner table. Are the moisture pads still white? If yes, return the device and say nothing of what happened. If the are not white, outside of buying a new device in the absence of insurance the only thing left is to get the unit into a local BB authorized repair center.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-10 07:27 PM
    Try powering it on with the wall adapter connected, just incase the battery got messed up (which is probably unlikely).
    11-11-10 07:30 PM
    File an insurance claim and pay the deductible.
    11-11-10 07:37 PM
    Ha ha....dude need to finish his business before he answers his phone!!!!!!

11-11-10 08:14 PM
    I'm guessing you did recharge the battery after being gone for 4 days? Have you tried your battery in his phone and his battery in your phone? If your battery works in his then at least you know what the problem is..(Other than an unsanitary phone )

11-11-10 08:21 PM
    Yah, no kidding..........it was in it's leather holster case clipped on his belt - and when he got up.........it fell into the toiley!!!!! Not good..............he's pretty upset about it.
    11-11-10 08:21 PM
    I will try my battery in his and see what happens.............

Thanks.

Leah
    11-11-10 08:22 PM
    I have always gotten in the habit of checking to ensure that the holster and phone are secure before getting up from a sitting position. It is one of the first things that I do before I get out of the car. I didn't do it with my 9000 and 9700 and dinged them albeit very minor ones but it really upset me at the time until I realized that it is just a phone.
    11-11-10 08:28 PM
    I would be sick if I dropped mine in water. Best of luck and keep us posted!

I have stopped bringing my phone into the bathroom with me unless its far away from the toilet since a few people have posted dunking their BBs.

11-11-10 08:31 PM
    Hi all. Well drat.........tried switching out the batteries this morning with no luck. The red light comes on the phone but then goes out again and nothing else happens........WWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH............not good.

I've got it over a heater vent out of the rice now (after 4 days in rice don't think it's gonna help anymore)..........might try the vent for the day and then plug it into the wall and see what happens........

Not sure what Rogers/Future Shop will be able to help us with - sending it in to be repaired I guess.......what a nightmare, a costly one no doubt!

Leah
    11-12-10 11:20 AM
    No offense. I am not sure how Rogers would handle insurance claims but in the time that you have tried to get the device functional, you could have had a replacement completely configured.
    11-12-10 11:27 AM
    No offense. I am not sure how Rogers would handle insurance claims but in the time that you have tried to get the device functional, you could have had a replacement completely configured.
    Hi. Future shop/Rogers doesn't have insurance for physical damage on their phones at all, they don't even offer it. So we are pretty much screwed. We took it in already and they said because the water damage indicator was red we should take the time to try and get it up and running before we did anything else, if they will do anything. A replacement phone is probably not even an option.......I wish. Unfortunately cell phones/companies here in Canada are not nearly as competitive as they are in the States. We pay through the nose for our cell phones and usage.

Leah
    11-12-10 11:31 AM
    How did you get it out btw ?!
    11-12-10 11:52 AM
    How did you get it out btw ?!
    hahaha.....the old reach in and grab it real quick way...........then wash hands good!!
    11-12-10 11:54 AM
    .....diver down......

11-12-10 11:55 AM
    If all else fails, grab a few screw drivers and take the thing apart... Rub alcohol and use compressed air on it, no full blast tho. then put the thing together.. Worth a shot... and I'm curious if it would work. My old 8310 Curve fell in my beer one night.. and it worked for it.
    11-12-10 12:13 PM
    I took a motorcycle trip earlier this year and left my Bold 9000 in my front jacket pocket the entire way. Rode thru a pretty bad storm, but didn't worry cause I figured my poackets were waterproof. Turns out they weren't!

While my Bold wasn't soaked completely, it was wet and acted weird. The trackball didn't work, the keys were all screwed up (press A and it would input a G, for instance). Took out the batt and let it dry in the sun. Finally dried up after a day and worked perfectly fine. Phew!

I'd say dissasemble the whole thing! Let the circuit boards dry out. Might work!

11-12-10 12:31 PM
    I am now convinced that there will always be a stream of dumb asses who are
    simply not bright enough to own a phone.

Bathroom + container of water (toilet) + electronic device = very bad news.
    Why in the h3ll is this so friggin hard to understand.
    Easy !!! name calling isnt very nice
    11-12-10 02:30 PM
    I dropped my Storm 2 in the freshly used toilet last year. I left it in the rice for a week or so and it came back around, I never used the phone again, but the wifi did work on it. That really sucks. Hope it works out for you guys.
    11-12-10 05:52 PM
    If anything give Rogers a call and ask about their Handset Replacement Guarantee that covers stolen, lost and broken. Maybe you can get some sort of replacement under that
    11-12-10 07:38 PM
    I am now convinced that there will always be a stream of dumb asses who are
    simply not bright enough to own a phone.

Bathroom + container of water (toilet) + electronic device = very bad news.
    Why in the h3ll is this so friggin hard to understand.
    11-12-10 08:28 PM
    Hi all..........I really really appreciate everybody who replied in a positive way........ unfortunately, we did everything everybody suggested and even took it apart to air dry it but after putting it all back together, all that happens is the red on light comes on and then it flashes......so looks like we are out of luck and definitely out a lot more money!!!! Drat. Bad time of the year to have to shell out another $600!!!

Anyhow, we will give Rogers a call and see about their handset replacement thing and go from there........more than likely we'll have to pay full retail for another phone.......

Thanks,
    Leah
    11-13-10 08:45 PM
    Depending on if you are close to the boarder, you could always slip across and buy one outright from an AT&T store. With our dollar being good right now, it will save you close to a couple hundred bux. Then you just need to unlock it.
    11-13-10 11:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD