Hey

So its the morning of my second full day with the Torch, and out of the box I thought it was perfect, but last night when I was using it I noticed a build issue.

The phone was backlight, and I could see a gap between the bezel and the Green Call and BlackBerry button which lets like leak out, but more importantly when I hit either the Green Call or BlackBerry Button, the two buttons depress way too much and don't feel stable and make a lot of noise.

I want to take this to AT&T to exchange for a new one, are they going to give me a lot of grief? Or is it a relatively easy process?

Thanks!

Just wanted to mention that I'm loving my Torch, glad I made the jump from iPhone 3GS
    12-17-10 10:18 AM
    If you're only in your second day they will exchange it. The only foreseeable problem is that over time the further you depress the more stress it causes and seperates the adhesive. Id suggest asking for an exchange. Worse they will say is no. Just remember to be polite as that goes a long way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-10 10:24 AM
    It should not be a problem. AT&T has a 30 day in store return policy. Just take it back show them the problem and they will swap it for another Torch. Check the new one out in the store before you leave. If its not to your liking ask to see another one. I swapped my first one out due to loose slider and button panel lifting off. There were no hassles they gave me another with no questions asked. I even got to keep my battery from the first one so I now have two batteries.

12-17-10 10:27 AM
    Okay great, I will be going later today and hopefully it will all work out. Thanks!
    12-17-10 11:15 AM
    Good luck let us know how it works out. If you haven't already done so, make sure you do a backup of your stuff so you can transfer it to the replacement device.

12-17-10 11:18 AM
    It's easy.. When I 1st got the Torch, they only had it in red but I wanted the blk/slvr one... I went 1 week later with no problems and they changed it. I even kept the 4 gig memory card... Shh...
    12-17-10 12:13 PM
    I have a lot of light leaking above the back button and on the bottom of the keypad. What would a BB be without light leakage and its great build quality? I didnt exchange for that because my next one could have the rattle or wobble that many others have. Seems it will fix one thing but break anther when you exchange
    12-17-10 01:14 PM
    garz

That's a tough decision but the device should be "right" without issues. Just keep asking for an exchange under the 1 year warranty till you get a good one. It shouldn't be that way but sometimes it is. I went through 4 9000's in a single year. I stuck with them cause I liked the device.

AT&T will offer you a different device of your choice if they have to replace the same model more than 4 times. I eventually gave up on the 9000 after the 4th one went bad and downgraded to a Curve while waiting for the 9800 and am currently on Torch number two.

12-17-10 01:51 PM
    garz

That's a tough decision but the device should be "right" without issues. Just keep asking for an exchange under the 1 year warranty till you get a good one. It shouldn't be that way but sometimes it is. I went through 4 9000's in a single year. I stuck with them cause I liked the device.

AT&T will offer you a different device of your choice if they have to replace the same model more than 4 times. I eventually gave up on the 9000 after the 4th one went bad and downgraded to a Curve while waiting for the 9800 and am currently on Torch number two.

Oh I agree but I have played with other co-workers Torches. They all have something wrong with build quality. I just see mine more minor with light leakage and a clicky sounding bezel. You should have seen the one they first pulled out of the box. It was super wobbly. I asked for them to open another one as I wasnt taking that one. It was much better but not perfect. Mine is white so its just hard finding stores here with white in inventory to swap
    12-17-10 01:55 PM
    Garz

Good luck with the Torch. Keep a close eye on that light leakage. My first one had that leakage and then one day boom off came the button panel. The adhesive came loose. I stuck it back on but it continued to lift off so I swapped it out.

12-17-10 02:22 PM
    Everything worked out, no problems with AT&T thanks everyone
    12-17-10 02:33 PM
    I've never had an issue with AT&T exchanges. This last time I got a canadian dude who was super nice!
    12-17-10 02:46 PM
    Okay the new phone that I just got this afternoon is now acting up, the trackpad doesn't scroll up all the time, and the screen will randomly go black while I am typing or using the phone without touching the lock button.

Do I need to take it back due to the trackpad issue? This is frustrating, The trackpad definitely isn't as responsive as it should be, it comes and goes sometimes it works great other times it doesnt.
    12-17-10 05:11 PM
    I might be going crazy, I'll give it more time and see what happens
    12-17-10 05:23 PM
    Okay the new phone that I just got this afternoon is now acting up, the trackpad doesn't scroll up all the time, and the screen will randomly go black while I am typing or using the phone without touching the lock button.

Do I need to take it back due to the trackpad issue? This is frustrating, The trackpad definitely isn't as responsive as it should be, it comes and goes sometimes it works great other times it doesnt.
    Take it back right away and trade it out again. Try the new one right at the store. Keep checking till you get one that's right. Go to a different att store if you need to. I know its a PITA but you need to have a Torch that works. Good luck

12-17-10 05:24 PM
    I might be going crazy, I'll give it more time and see what happens
    Go back and get one thats right. You signed a 2 year contract so this phone needs to last. Look at the new one before you leave and if its not right, go to another Att store. You can go to any Att corporate store to exchange if thats where you bought it from
    12-17-10 05:31 PM
    What if you got the phone from wirefly, amazon, let's talk, etc can you still go to an ATT store to exchange it

Last edited by R.MORA; 12-17-10 at 06:33 PM.
    12-17-10 06:30 PM
    What if you got the phone from wirefly, amazon, let's talk, etc can you still go to an ATT store to exchange it

no. You have to go throught the Att warranty center
    12-17-10 06:36 PM
    I have a lot of light leaking above the back button and on the bottom of the keypad. What would a BB be without light leakage and its great build quality? I didnt exchange for that because my next one could have the rattle or wobble that many others have. Seems it will fix one thing but break anther when you exchange
    How bright are your menu and escape buttons? Mine seem pretty dim when compared to the send and end buttons which seem to be 50% brighter if not more.
    12-17-10 08:39 PM
    Yup, I just got back and got a new one hopefully the Third time is the charm, the girl even said she'd give me a credit on the OtterBox case so I can get a different one.

I think the newest one should do it, i really hope it is.
    12-17-10 09:12 PM
    Yup, I just got back and got a new one hopefully the Third time is the charm, the girl even said she'd give me a credit on the OtterBox case so I can get a different one.

I think the newest one should do it, i really hope it is.
    Hope this one works out for you. Just curious can you look at the box and see where your phone was manufactured?

12-17-10 10:47 PM
    All three have been Mexico the first was Mexico 4 I believe and the next two were Mexico 5, I was hoping to get a Canada or Hungary, because i had heard they were somewhat better quality, but that did not happen
    12-18-10 12:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD