It's cracked pretty badly, although the touch pad still works, as does the rest of the phone. I don't have a protection plan. Does anyone know the best, and least expensive way to get a new glass touchscreen?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-11 08:27 PM
    There are probably replacement parts from a Chinese company. Try using the Search feature in this device forum. Unless you have the patience and knowledge, I would get a new one with insurance.

01-16-11 08:42 PM
    Most unfortunate my friend. As jcp mentioned there are replacement parts available from chinese vendors.

I bought some aftermatket bits and pieces for my Bold from truesupplier.

I figure its already broken. Can't hurt to dive in there and have a go at fixing it. What's the worst that could happen? You break it?

01-16-11 08:46 PM
    Try cnn.cn, i bought cellphone parts from them before with no problem, you can replace the screen yourself, there are numerous guides online, but i suggest you find a tech that does it for you.

you only need the LCD screen, seeing as your digitalizer (touch ) still works
    01-16-11 09:30 PM
    Try cnn.cn, i bought cellphone parts from them before with no problem, you can replace the screen yourself, there are numerous guides online, but i suggest you find a tech that doest for you.

you only need the LCD screen, seeing as your digitalizer (touch ) still works
    I'd definitely go with cnn.cn! I have used them as well...
    01-16-11 09:31 PM
    But if you broke the glass, but the screen display still works, then you only need the digitizer, not the whole LCD screen.
    01-16-11 09:32 PM
    If your not a skilled repair'er, your best bet would be this Blackberry Torch 9800 lcd screen w/ touch assembly New on eBay.ca (item 320618145392 end time 13-Feb-11 19:10:22 EST)

it is the entire assembly so you don't have to get into removing all the components in the slider based on disassembly videos i have seen its a pain.
    01-16-11 10:40 PM
    If your not a skilled repair'er, your best bet would be this Blackberry Torch 9800 lcd screen w/ touch assembly New on eBay.ca (item 320618145392 end time 13-Feb-11 19:10:22 EST)

Thanks for all of the advise. I'll look into both options recommended. Regarding the whole touchscreen assembly found on ebay, are there any how to videos showing how to replace that assembly that you know of?

it is the entire assembly so you don't have to get into removing all the components in the slider based on disassembly videos i have seen its a pain.

01-16-11 10:47 PM
    I got one off ebay when I did the same thing. Replacement was pretty easy and took me under 1/2 hour to do it from start to finish. the only problem I had was finding the right screwdriver bits. the smallest one was impossible to find.....

I found a youtube video of the disassembly and just followed along...
    01-16-11 11:34 PM
    Thanks for all the help. I found a youtube video about disassembly, and it definitely looks doable, and much easier to replace the whole assembly than the LCD only as you recommended.
    01-20-11 09:47 AM
    That's most unfortunate. Check out the Canadian companies for replacement parts.
    01-20-11 10:08 AM
    sorry bud, droping you BB isnt a nice way to treat it...wouldnt i even try replacing the screen if i were you. and your insurance or lack of it is not gonna happen. your provider is going to look at your phone and give you a referb model because hey can fix stuff like this either....and its not gonna be cheap. sorry to hear your blackberry died...
    01-22-11 03:13 AM
    Did the screen hit something, or did it land on a corner a break that way? Just curious. Would a case have helped?

01-22-11 09:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD