Hello guys,
    I am new to this forums and BB 9800 is my first BB. I am excited to use/explore it...

Ok here's My question : I have setup my gmail account on my phone and I can see only emails from today i.e from the time when I setup this account.

How can I download/sync all my previous email messages to phone?

Earlier I had iphone and I had no issues setting up gmail on it.

Any help would be appreciated/
    thanks in advance.
    08-12-10 02:07 PM
    Sorry, that's how the BlackBerry works. Albeit, you chould install the GMail app. That's basically like a window into your email account...
    08-12-10 02:17 PM
    +1 for the gmail app. I never use the BB email service (weird I know) but I love the gmail app more and funnel all my email accounts into it.
    08-12-10 03:02 PM
    yeah, you can't get the past email, just new ones from here on out.
    08-12-10 03:07 PM
    I haven't switched to OS6 yet and am going by my 9550 but are you sure they aren't there? While looking at your message list you can hit menu and filter to ALL instead of just inbox. Unfortunately, you can't default to this view though. I stopped using the gmail plugin because of this. The default view would only show messages up until the last time I restored after an OS install.

On the plus side, you don't need the gmail plugin installed to do remote searching with the BlackBerry app - the only thing you miss (in OS5) is the grouped messages.
    08-12-10 03:26 PM
    Yeah, you only have access to messages that have been delivered from the time you set it up.

The GMail app is a good tool to keep on hand if you ever need to search deep into your archives for something, although I do not use it for day-to-day needs, just when I need access to my ENTIRE email repository.
    08-12-10 03:32 PM
    Thanks for your responses guys.
    08-12-10 03:35 PM
    Yeah, you only have access to messages that have been delivered from the time you set it up.

The GMail app is a good tool to keep on hand if you ever need to search deep into your archives for something, although I do not use it for day-to-day needs, just when I need access to my ENTIRE email repository.
    You don't have to use the gmail app to search archives - you can use the BlackBerry search app and set it to remote.
    08-12-10 05:38 PM
    On my Storm the gmail app worked great to access my entire inbox and to search through 1,000's of emails. Once I installed it on the Torch, it doesn't respond when you seek to do a search nor does it access all of the emails... HELP!!!
    08-19-10 12:02 AM
    On my Storm the gmail app worked great to access my entire inbox and to search through 1,000's of emails. Once I installed it on the Torch, it doesn't respond when you seek to do a search nor does it access all of the emails... HELP!!!
    I'm having the same problem. On my old BB the gmail app allowed me to search all my mail. On the Torch clicking search just freezes the app for a minute. It doesn't even bring up a search dialog. Has anyone made this work? If so, what version of the gmail app are you using?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-10 12:59 AM
    where can i download the gmail app? tried searching it from the app world but didn't see it.
    08-19-10 08:55 AM
    I'm having the same problem. On my old BB the gmail app allowed me to search all my mail. On the Torch clicking search just freezes the app for a minute. It doesn't even bring up a search dialog. Has anyone made this work? If so, what version of the gmail app are you using?

I'm getting the same thing. My guess is that the old gmail app isn't fully-functional on the new OS yet. Hopefully there will eb an update soon.
    08-19-10 09:03 AM
    where can i download the gmail app? tried searching it from the app world but didn't see it.
    I believe it's m.google.com/mail

or google.com/apps
    08-19-10 09:04 AM
    On the Torch clicking search just freezes the app for a minute. It doesn't even bring up a search dialog. Has anyone made this work? If so, what version of the gmail app are you using?
    I was totally bummed by this as well... So In my despair, I was trolling google forums weekly, hoping for a miracle - when lo and behold I discivered that per a post by holograph "The search does work, you just can't see what you type. Try it. Hit search, enter the text, then press enter. The results show up normally."

Wahoo - using gmail app v 2.0.7.1264 on my torch I now can search the email life I had before joining the BB Universe

For the complete discussion, including several political-speak (ie unintelligible) comments by a google employee which imply google and BB will never make-up, see http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google%20Mobile/thread?tid=35efdce318166d6b&hl=en

If you want to get depressed over the other limitations of gmail on a blackberry, see my sarcastic rants in:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/gmail-items-read-archived-other-email-clients-not-reflected-bb-email-app-527040/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/problems-unsent-emails-using-bb-messages-app-gmail-542528/

Last edited by somainer; 11-07-10 at 07:37 PM.
    11-07-10 07:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD