View Poll Results: Problems with the Torch?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, working flawlessly

96 57.14%
  • Minor issues, light leak, wiggly button, doesn't make phone less fun to use

32 19.05%
  • Moderate problems - screen wiggles, trackpad loose, somewhat detracts from the overall enjoyment

24 14.29%
  • Major problem - something fell off, doesn't turn on - can't use the phone very well at all

17 10.12%
  • I gave up and bought an iPhone

6 3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    It seems like lots of people here have been having some sort of problem or another with the 9800.

They range from minor little things that only slightly hamper the enjoyment of the phone to larger issues like keys falling off that make the phone difficult/impossible to use.

What has your experience been like?
    08-21-10 12:20 PM
    I voted no problems....the only tiny, tiny, tiniest of wiggles that I wouldn't have noticed unless I'd read about it here. Happened about five days after I'd owned the phone...
    08-21-10 12:28 PM
    Absolutely ZERO issues with my phone. Mine wiggled a small amount when I first got it and seemed to seat after a few days...
    08-21-10 12:31 PM
    Everytime a text come it, freezes for a few sec, then finally lets you do something. Various issues with the slow OS. Doesn't seem like this can handle all that going on with the phone. Needs a better processor. My 9700 was much more responsive. Hope this is fixed very soon. Tired of trying to do something and no response they all the sudden it does everything at once, screws something up.
    08-21-10 01:24 PM
    How many of these threads do we need?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-10 02:01 PM

+1
    Just post under the POLLS already posted
    08-21-10 02:07 PM
    Battery wont charge unless phone is cold. Once I get rolling with phone calls, charging has no effect.
    08-21-10 02:13 PM
    I voted no problems but the camera on the 8310 you can see your pictures better you don't have to zoom in on all your pictures and when you bring up the picture icon you can look at them on either camera or media card. I can't even see them on my card from the picture icon on the Torch...
    08-21-10 02:23 PM
    No problems here. Faster than my 9000. nice phone in my opinion.
    08-21-10 02:54 PM
    I actually think I got the worst Torch ever built!

Every issue you have seen on here I about had. It was really a trying week living with the torch and not connecting to BIS over anything but wifi was the last straw. I returned it today and did'nt even have the desire left to try a new one. Back to my Bold9k for now, maybe in a couple of months I will look at it again once they get the bugs out. I'm happy thou I was the exception.
    08-21-10 04:13 PM

Sorry, I didn't see any other polls in the 9800 section.
    08-21-10 05:23 PM
    Owned for less than 24 hours. I'll get back to you
    08-21-10 05:56 PM
    Didn't vote because the answers are too specific. My 9800 hasn't been flawless but I don't have any light leak or wiggle issues.

The only two issues I've experienced is the camera error(three times) that says the camera can't open close other applications in order to use it.

And twice the device has gotten stuck in landscape and will not revert back to portrait unless I power off the device or pull the battery.

Other than those two issues, I've had no other problems. And those problems were not experienced with pre-release devices.
    08-21-10 06:00 PM
    I have no issues and I'm loving my Torch. No wiggle, light leak or tinny sound just a bit of a lag but I can deal with that. Overall I'm very happy and lucky I got a good one!

08-21-10 06:22 PM
    I actually did not buy an iPhone as indicated on the poll, but I did return the BB 9800 and go back to my iPhone. The Torch I got had the minor annoyances most have mentioned, plus two instances of rapid battery drain for no apparent reason and a few software quirks that may or may not have been typical.

I have to say I am disappointed with the build quality of the Torch, as well as with some of the new features in OS 6. It is almost as if RIM said, "Fine, you guys want this stuff then this is what you get". I am going to miss the keyboard a little and the trackpad a whole bunch, but the iPhone is rock solid and has never once made me do a reboot.

I have owned the BB 8310 and the Bold 9000 and really liked them. After using the iPhone, the Bold 9700 was just too small, so I was really excited for the new 9800. It really let me down. I do not like the many versions of the Droid, and there are drawbacks to the iPhone, so RIM missed a great opportunity here. I truly believe if Apple puts a BB-like track pad on their iPhone (plus actually makes the phone available!), that they would have almost all the market.

I will be sticking with my iPhone 3Gs, and my grandfathered unlimited data plan, until BlackBerry makes a better attempt to win me back.
    08-21-10 06:41 PM
    No major issues, but the button all on the torches I played with seem to lack sturdiness, meaning they feel "squishy." If they would have put the same button design as the curve or Bold, then I would be the happiest person alive. Everything else is good. Occasional issue with the camera button not opening the camera. Seemed like I had to really press it hard to get it to open or take a picture.

I'll give it more time.
    08-21-10 07:13 PM
    Nope no problems here either...so far so good.
    08-21-10 07:36 PM
    ok i keep seeing reviews that the battery life is good but i really do not agree. With minor texting and aim running battery goes down below 60% without any phone calls in about 6 hours. My 9700 could have aim on 24/7 and i could text and bbm all day and walk away with 85% after a day of usage. My torch is defective or ppl are crazy lol. Going to take this guy back to the store it really hasnt been an enjoyable experience. It seems like alot of work to use this phone and typing on the touch screen is horrid. Hands down 9700 is still the best.
    08-21-10 08:11 PM
    +1
    Just post under the POLLS already posted
    +1111111111111111. Enough already!

08-21-10 08:31 PM
    Everytime a text come it, freezes for a few sec, then finally lets you do something. Various issues with the slow OS. Doesn't seem like this can handle all that going on with the phone. Needs a better processor. My 9700 was much more responsive. Hope this is fixed very soon. Tired of trying to do something and no response they all the sudden it does everything at once, screws something up.
    You should do a system wipe. Back up, keep your 3rd party apps.
    Do a sync to get back contacts, etc....
    Then restore just what you want (sms,mms, emails, app data, etc...) thru DM.
    I bet you'll be fine after that.

edit: maybe you shouldn't restore sms. That could be where the problem is.
    08-21-10 08:36 PM
    +1111111111111111. Enough already!

Nope, sorry.. still not seeing a polls section
    08-25-10 02:41 AM
    9800 is being stupid scroll wheel is not responding at all sometimes even with a battery pull. This is my second torch and they both had the same problem of the talk and end keys peeling and just about a hour ago the talk key fully came off... Not to mention the lack of internet connection I get at times it just doesn't work at all even with 3 or 4 battery pulls. Just wait for them to fix bugs and redesign the torch

08-25-10 02:49 AM
    Yeah I haven't had much luck with the torch. I'm on my 4th one now (all have gone back for battery issues), I apparently can't charge this phone on the 3G radio, when I woke up this a.m. From my overnight charge my phone was plugged into the charger but not charging. And according to BeBattery I was only at 60% on the battery and it was 120 degrees F. I can't imagine this is good for the battery, however once I switched to 2G only it cooled down and finished charging. I really don't want to give up this phone but won't my battery be fried in a few months if this charging issue keeps happening? Any advice on what I should do is greatly appreciated!

08-25-10 01:45 PM
    I have 3 glaring problems, if anyone can shed any light to help me fix them I would be much appreciated since nobody at AT&T can figure it out. They are so incompetent.

1) When I make a phone call with the slider open, I can't access the dial pad. For example, if I were to try and check my voicemail, and dialed my number with the slider open, the dial pad icon would be grey'd out. It only works if the slider is closed.

2) I randomly get yellow stars in my email inbox and they can't be deleted or removed unless I do a battery pull.

3) When I text to Canada, the receiving party can't read it in English. The message is scrambled and reads in "code". I've had 3 techs from AT&T try and resolve the issue without any success.
    08-28-10 08:44 PM
    The battery had to be charged 3 times a day. I admit, I'm a heavy texter but my 9700 always held all day on just an overnight charge.

No matter what I did, my cheek kept hitting buttons while I was on calls. It would mute people mostly where they could not here me. Tried battery pull, did not have screen protector or anything. Day 10 with the phone and I was talking to my teenager and the phone places him on hold and calls my boss and the only thing I could do to stop the call was a battery pull. Seems like maybe my cheek again hit hold then add someone and the rest, I dunno.

I returned and went back to the 9700. The guy at ATT was like, "you'd better get used to touch screens because that's where everything is headed, by next year your 9700 will be completely obsolete". Tried to sell me an iphone or a android. I can't type on a screen!

08-28-10 10:04 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD