Had the torch for 3 weeks now. Where are the great torch themes ? Even all time great developers like ecruz are struggling the beat the default offering. Also the calendar is excellent, can anyone beat the default ? . Do RIM want everyone to stay on the default ? Or the developers simply raise their game ?. Anyone found a browser that beats the RIM default ? . Opera mini is total crap on os 6 and bolt only reasonable , nowhere near the default offering

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-10 03:07 PM
    I guess it's so you don't have to install so many third party apps for basic functionality?

I think you'll find as far as the TB goes its all related to it being a beta version.
    10-28-10 03:11 PM
    They're struggling because the theme builder beta has too many issues...

Also themes are preference, so saying that the default theme is all you really need or whether 3rd party themes are better or not is kinda irrelevant.
    10-28-10 03:52 PM
    I'm struggling to find a theme that I like more than the default, and I'm at a loss for a use for good ol quicklaunch now...
    10-28-10 04:19 PM
    thats my point - is RIM deliberately discouraging theme designers from producing alternatives to the std software, or are they just a tad behind in their development tools. Yes themes are preference , but in general the theme designers had an easy task to beat the std offering in pre os6 themes, its not so easy now. Actually i was hoping the post would prompt someone to identify a really great theme out there which i had not see, but obviously not
    10-28-10 04:37 PM
    without the lock tilt feature of the latest quick launch i would have gone nuts by now
    10-28-10 04:38 PM
    Making the homescreen more adaptable is progression, and yes it makes it slightly more challenging to deviate with themes.

But I don't see that as a negative... I don't think they should avoid progression just to give theme makers more to do.
    10-28-10 06:07 PM
    I'm struggling to find a theme that I like more than the default, and I'm at a loss for a use for good ol quicklaunch now...
    Indeed. Universal search and the slide out keyboard tilt lock means I no longer use quick launch. Still a great app though.

10-28-10 06:15 PM
    +1!!! I've tried more themes in 2 months on the Torch than in 3+ years with the Bold and Curve, and just haven't found one I like more than the default. If anything, I think its just a statement to the good job RIM did with OS6.

10-28-10 06:51 PM
    With regards to themes I think RIM left a LOT of room for improvement...the 5 homescreen tabs are pretty much useless and I honestly hate being able to pull the icon deck up and down.

My thoughts on how it SHOULD have been done and how a good theme for me would be designed are here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/re...-icons-542448/
    10-28-10 07:02 PM
    Could it be that RIM is trying to limit the building of themes for a while? On the Android devices every manufacture re-skins the OS (with two exceptions, the T-Mobile G2 and the GN1), which can low down, the device, make it les user friendly, or at the bare minimum make Android devices inconsistent.
    10-28-10 07:22 PM
    I really miss the Today Theme. Does anyone know if any good today themes exist? I love being able to see my upcoming calendar events on the home screen.

10-28-10 07:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD