I'm currently on a iphone 4, and want to switch back to BB (was a huge bb and BBM junkie before experimenting with the iphone). Anyways have debating between the 9780 and Torch. My main question is that after reading the initial reviews of laggy performance I was turned off the torch. A heard from a friend that updating to a newer OS does improve performance a lot. Is this true??

I'm leaning to the 9780 just cause I'm more familiar with that design and like having a keyboard on hand. Just wish it had a bigger screen and touch for internet use. So torn between the two.
    12-30-10 11:59 AM
    With the new OS updates I don't notice any lag at all.

If my BBM conversations span over a week or two, switching between them can take an extra second but nothing huge.
    The spinning clock that BB is known for, I hardly ever have it. Usually only see it when installing an app.
    I have no need for a battery pull the OS is very stable.
    Browser has improved and is more responsive. I am not sure if other noticed this but pinch and zoom seems to be better.
    Overall universal search is very responsive.

The 9780 vs Torch that is more of a user thing. Try both in a store and see what you like. I do find myself using the virtual keyboard more but still use the physical keyboard as I send a lot of emails. Form factor wise if you like the old form factors you will love the 9780. I find the browser easier to use on the torch.
    Everything else is comparable on both devices. I hope that provides some insight.
    12-30-10 12:25 PM
    Great, thanks for the insight. I'm glad to hear they have improved the performance with software updates.

I do use browsing a lot and thats one of the main reasons for wanting the torch. Because I know with touch browsing is a lot easier (pinch to zoom, scrolling, etc.)
    12-30-10 12:32 PM
    Never had the iphone 4 but I did have the iphone 3gs for a year before coming to the Torch. I don't regret the change at all. Love my Torch.

I don't find the OS laggy at all and I'm just on the official upgrade that AT&T has let out - not any of the other OS versions out there.

If you don't mind the one second delay it may take you to slide out the keyboard, I think you'd love the Torch over the 9780. You'd have the bigger screen, touch for internet, option of trackpad (which I find handy). I did have to get used to the kb because it is set lower due to it being a slider, but after a few days I had no problems.

Like it was said before, go to a store and play around with each for awhile. Get a feel for them yourself!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-10 12:52 PM
    It is true that when the Torch was initially released there was some considerable lag and bugginess. That being said, there have been several OS updates that seem to have made major improvements to these issues. I bought a Torch when first launched on AT&T and before ever using it, immediately upgraded the stock OS to a leaked version. Now the decision between the 9800 & 9780 is one you and only you can make. Me personally, I lasted about 8 weeks with the Torch before giving it up for a 9780. My reasons were based on my own experiences and not a reflection of poor design on the Torch. I simply had trouble using the virtual keyboard and could not type with any speed or accuracy, additionally i felt that the physical keyboard was somewhat cramped. But again, these were issue that affected my decision. I would suggest you try the Torch and really put it to the test. See if works for you and your needs. I love the Torch, however it was simply not the device for me. I now have a 9780 and absolutely love it.

12-30-10 01:03 PM
    Great, thanks for the insight. I'm glad to hear they have improved the performance with software updates.

I do use browsing a lot and thats one of the main reasons for wanting the torch. Because I know with touch browsing is a lot easier (pinch to zoom, scrolling, etc.)
    I sent you a private message but I guess I can just ask you here easily enough. Why are you switching back from the iphone 4? I ask because I'm thinking of switching from the Torch to the iphone4 and I'm wondering what is making you switch back again.
    12-30-10 02:09 PM
    After a month of use the Torch and I are fast friends. With .337 on board there is no lag about which to complain. Overall function with OS6 and the device takes some time for adaptation. Give the phone a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

12-30-10 02:16 PM
    Same situation here, currently using i4 . All time BB user last time

12-30-10 08:03 PM

My first Torch was from the first batch of Att phones. It wobbled terribly and it was laggy. I paid over 600$ and I sold it to a kid that works in one of my stores for 400$ less than 48 hours later. I told him it was crap but he just HAD to have it.
    I picked up a Rogers one about 6 weeks ago. it has no wobble. I also updated it to .337. (which technically I could have done to the first one if .337 had been available back then and had the same good result). All this to say-- the right (better) software made a world of difference.... it's like a totally different phone.

Hope that helps.
    Happy New Year.

12-30-10 10:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD