I did on my bold and it really slowed the phone down. To the point where I erased my memeory card and started using my Itouch again!?!?!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-10 09:06 AM
    i had about 8 on my SD card. it was slow at first (after an OS change or media upload etc) while indexing and for a bit after resets while it re-indexed but nothing real bad once you understand what is going on. Indexing can be turned off as well ..... this ties to Universal Search in OS6 as well as the normal media behavior in OS5 and OS6...
    11-03-10 09:13 AM
    OK. I remember on my boldif I did any kind of hard reset it would also take 5 minutes to run through my media card. If your say fuctionability is not greatly reduced in OS6 than I may try it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-10 09:41 AM
    On a reset it is not bad at all. On an OS change or major media upload, the degradation is to be expected. It is no different on an OS change than all your apps trying to launch the first time...
    11-03-10 09:47 AM
    I have about 17GB of music on my card (and another 5GB of movies). The post-reset scan of all of that takes 4 minutes.

You can watch it scan by going into Music in the Media folder after the reset. For example, under All Songs, it generally counts up from zero to the total number of songs, and does so in bursts of 100 song increments. I've seen it count backwards, however, in something that appears to be related to Wireless Music Sync, and then count back up again.

Device performance is sluggish during the scan, but since I don't do resets as much as I used to with older devices, it's not a big deal, particularly for only 4 minutes. Having all of that music on the card has no effect on performance after the scan is done.
    Last edited by JasW; 11-03-10 at 11:19 AM.
    11-03-10 10:54 AM

Can be a lil slow yes :-)

Thats with my 8 gig SD card FULL & a gig or 2 in the device itself.

and about 2 minutes later with SAME variables.....

Last edited by molson0; 11-03-10 at 12:11 PM.
    11-03-10 11:55 AM
    I have over 25gb of music on my SDcard (32GB Class 2)...

Other then the initial scan when inserting my SDCard (or using mass storage), I have no noticeable lag at all...

Last edited by FineWolf; 11-03-10 at 01:23 PM.
    11-03-10 12:58 PM
    I have 14 GB filled on my media card and I haven't seen any slowdown. It all depends on your media class imo. I have class 6 and it runs fast and smooth.
    11-03-10 12:59 PM
    Yeah if your memory card is a knockoff that runs lower than what it's supposed to be rated at, or it's just a slow card it will cause problems.

Fast cards should have no issues.
    11-03-10 01:23 PM
    I have 14 GB filled on my media card and I haven't seen any slowdown. It all depends on your media class imo. I have class 6 and it runs fast and smooth.
    Actually, the speed class rating is only for write speeds.
    11-03-10 01:28 PM
    look at the x rating to get an idea of read speeds.

Problem is some vendors list the write speed, some list the read speed for the x rating... Again though, if it's a knockoff card the ratings aren't gonna matter anyways.
    11-03-10 02:39 PM
    I have 8 gigs with no issue other than a pause to index during startup for about 20 seconds.
    11-03-10 02:47 PM
    I recently put on about 13 gigs and haven't noticed any difference after the initial scan.
    11-03-10 02:56 PM
    I have a 16GB card with about 12GB of music on it, I got the card when I had my 9000. The very first OS that came on the Bold would lag as other have stated the very first time I added the music, or added new songs to it. BUT if I never added songs when I would do a battery pull or a App forced restart it DID NOT LAG. BUT, when I updated to later OS updates it would lag EVERY TIME I did a restart or battery pull for about 5 minutes or so until it re-scanned ALL the music.

With the same card from my 9000 in my 9800 it scans through it with out any lag really (OS .246) other than about the first 30-45 seconds when other apps are starting as well.

I was skeptical about my Torch at first and ALMOST went back to my 9000 but the Browser kept me on the Torch and with the latest OS update I no longer want to go back, the only thing I miss is the sound quality and level on my 9000.
    11-03-10 09:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD