I've had my Torch for 45 days. I am with Telus, who will only exchange a phone within 30 days of purchase. About 3 days ago, i had what i now see is becoming a HUGE issue with the Mexico 4 builds - i pressed the blackberry button and the whole cover popped right off the unit. (the cover for the send/blackberry/return/end keys) I put it back, of course...but now that the adhesive has completely lost contact with the unit, no amount of pressing will keep it down. SO because I'm with crappy Telus, they will NOT replace the phone, only repair. My question is - has anyone with this issue had a successful repair? I'd love it if I KNEW this could be fixed since apparently exchanging the phone is not an option for me.

other than this, the phone is perfect, the slider is solid, the keys are great, no lag, great battery charge, touchscreen is great. I'm just really choked that this literally happens the week I can no longer return the phone - and the reason for it happening is due to using an absolutely crap quality adhesive on a VERY expensive phone.
    12-18-10 07:46 PM
    I have the same problem. Started yesterday. I've only had my phone 11 days. I'd like to know if it's worth sending back or what?
    12-19-10 10:53 AM
    Bluebell

See if telus will help you contact RIM and have them do a warranty exchange. I had the same issue with my first Torch and it was Mexico 4 build too. I was within my 30 day with att and they swapped it out.

I don't think fixing it will work out in the long run although some have posted up here in threads about using super glue. They are braver than I am.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-10 11:16 AM
    I have the same problem. Started yesterday. I've only had my phone 11 days. I'd like to know if it's worth sending back or what?
    I'd do a warranty swap or exchange on it. Its only going to get worse with time.

12-19-10 11:17 AM
    crap. i CAN'T DO a warranty swap, after 30 days Telus will ONLY repair.
    12-19-10 05:40 PM
    you can get a new one on ebay. most come with a new keyboard too though, i havent been able to find just that cover though. hope that helps
    12-19-10 05:54 PM
    Have had mine from the first day it was released, Telus store staff told me the same would only send in for repair.
    Talked to Retention staff they authorized a new one from the store stock.All my accounts go back to the ClearNet days and the paperwork then said 12 months warranty on all phones.
    Maybe having 6 phone accounts with Telus helped when I said I was going to take them all away instantly and I requested the payouts on all numbers.
    12-19-10 05:58 PM
    I'm on rogers but if its the same then a repair just means they will send you a refurbished model, and RIM will take yours back to the factory and fix it up and send it to someone else as a refurbished device.
    12-19-10 06:26 PM
    hmm...maybe I need to get on with client retention department. I have been a telus mobility client faithfully for 13 years and this is the first time I've ever had to ask for something like this andi was actually surprised how little they were willing to do. They must really not be interested in retaining their long-term clients.
    12-19-10 06:46 PM
    After hearing a "clicking" sound when pressing my back button, I peeled off half of those buttons to see what was going on. I used normal super glue and a clamp to re-attach (high tech, I know). 1 button is slightly depressed more than the others, but i'm satisfied. Good luck.
    12-19-10 07:25 PM
    hmm...maybe I need to get on with client retention department. I have been a telus mobility client faithfully for 13 years and this is the first time I've ever had to ask for something like this andi was actually surprised how little they were willing to do. They must really not be interested in retaining their long-term clients.
    I've been with att for years all the way back to the cingular days before att bought them. When i called them after my 4th 9000 went
    out i was a week past my 1 year warranty at first they wernt going to do anything. I politely asked for a bump to a supervisior and explained my problem and asked them to take a look at how long I'd been a customer and the fact that the device was bad. I also made it clear to them that I'd change providers when my contract was up if they couldn't help me.

They did replace my phone with any one I wanted. You have to speak with a supervisor and above all - remain calm but be firm. Tell them you don't want to change providers but that you will if they won't help you. They should help you. Good luck

12-19-10 07:32 PM
    Telus no longer provides refurbs for phones under warranty. They will provide a loaner phone, but phones will be sent out for repair. Not sure when they changed the policy, but it was within the last year. This was one of the reasons I decided to go to Rogers and leave Telus after 12 years of service. I have had 4 different models of BB's with Telus and I had to swap every model at least once, or more. I wasn't comfortable knowing that I wouldn't be getting a replacement device if I had issues.

12-19-10 11:50 PM
    Mine came loose within 2 days, AT&T replaced it in the store no problems. I would not do the super glue fix if it is less than a year old.
    12-20-10 06:51 AM
    interesting. Not sure what I'm going to do, yet. I have been considering trying to use an adhesive, VERY carefully. I'm just really angry, do not want to have to sen d a phone I've had for LESS than 5 weeks out for 6-8 weeks to *maybe* get it fixed properly. It just seems ridiculous.
    12-20-10 02:37 PM
    Just use an epoxy and apply it carefully (you don't want to get it inside the button mechanisms).

Personally I wouldn't use super glue because it dries too fast, which makes it hard to apply.

Worth keeping a phone that doesn't have other issues since this one isn't that hard to fix.
    12-20-10 02:48 PM
    i ended up using very carefully cut pieces of double-sided tape - not the foam type, the stuff that pretty much looks like what it was stuck on with in the first place. It worked BEAUTIFULLY. I was hesitant to use super glue, as super glue has a tendency to spread around too much before it dries, plus it is very brittle when dry and you would want something that has the ability to flex without snapping. I would totally recommend this if your Torch has no other issues. (i didn't want to send mine in and get a refurbished one that had other issues, outside of the button cover mine is perfect with a nice solid slider.)
    12-22-10 08:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD