Well just been on the phone to Orange to upgrade and being a long term loyal customer explained first not to mess around with prices as there's plenty of competition out there.

2 minutes later - one free Torch and their �22.50 plan (dolphin 25 or something -plus 300 loyalty minutes) - I was a little taken back that I didn't have to haggle - so I asked what plan had unlimited internet. for a large reduction in what I currently pay down to �27.50 pcm 600 mins, unlimited txts, unlimited internet, 50 photo msgs / mnth, free orange maps (full version), oh and the BB package.

Needless to say I said yes please than you very much as in the UK that's pretty damn good deal imo.

Bad news is they've sold out of phones - have to wait until next week

Question though as I've always wondered - how do the phone plan / costs work outside the UK in general?
    11-05-10 05:46 AM
    900 min with Rollover $59.99
    Unlimited text and data/internet- $50.00
    Insurance, Taxes and BS charges - $30
    Total after my job discount= $104 per month
    11-05-10 10:05 AM
    $60/unlimited including long distance across Quebec.
    Nice to know you can talk all you want and never have to worry about minutes. I also dropped my long distance plan on my home land line....just use my cell now.

$40/month data bundle including unlimited emails, texts,picture and video messages,call display,visual voicemail,message center with voice to text,unlimited nhl,call waiting,conference calling....I think that's it.

I also get a 10$ monthly rebate till 2012
    So its a 90$ total package +tx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by GG1; 11-05-10 at 11:13 AM.
    11-05-10 10:50 AM
    All in Canadian dollars:

Unlimited incoming/outgoing text,
    Unlimited data,
    Unlimited incoming/outgoing local and continental long distance calling (7pm-8am and weekends),
    3-way calling,
    caller ID,
    visual voicemail,
    500 daytime minutes,
    Streaming NHL games (live) for free
    insurance

For a whopping 150-160 per month. I think I'm getting screwed but plan to use it as the most serious leverage when my contract's up... That and I just like my BB that much.

Sigh.

11-05-10 06:38 PM
    blimey lads - they're all well expensive even considering the current UK exchange rate.

normally what's say $10 your side is �10 this side so we're always getting ripped....
    11-08-10 04:37 AM
    My plan, a family plan with 3 phones.

Basic Plan:
    2100 rollover nationwide minutes( I lose more every month then I use)
    Nights and weekends: free
    Mobile to mobile: free
    Cost:

Add on Services:
    2 grandfathered unlimited blackberry data packages
    Messaging unlimited for family's
    2 extra lines on the family plan
    Cost:
    110.00$

Grand Total:(with tax and all the extra stuff they like to charge you for)
    248.59$(give or take a few dollars every month)

US dollars with AT&T as my service.
    11-08-10 04:50 AM
    Wowzer! Although no way near as good as your deal blockbuy; I feel a little better knowing what others have paid across the pond. I mean, bad. I feel bad for them
    11-08-10 05:00 AM
    It's a completely different charging model - If they tried to introduce it over here there would be riots for sure.

Still haven't got my phone yet, just called Orange - by all accounts 5,000 phones are with the testers and they've yet to have the OS installed on them. Nothing before Friday I'm told - so that's basically next week.

Hopefully though that means the phone maybe a little better build (?) being a new batch and all, plus the OS should be pretty much up to date.

Fingers crossed for Monday I guess.
    11-11-10 07:17 AM
    Right either you are lying or Orange are lying. I would say the latter as i rang up last night at 9pm and got the torch and its being delivered tomorrow.... so yea
    11-11-10 08:05 AM
    My husband and I have a family plan with 3 lines. Unlimited texts, data plans for his iPhone and my BB, rollover minutes, etc we pay about $160 a month.

11-11-10 08:11 AM
    I have student 55 which is 10 numbers talk and txt nationwide, 1 GB of data, free evenings and weekends @ 6 PM for LOCAL calls. That's 55 plus I pay 8 for caller ID and 7 for insurance with a tax rate of 13% soooo
    55 + 7 + 8 = 70 x 1.13 = 79.10

Cheaper than the plan I had that had half the fav numbers and was 90 before taxes. Still getting ripped off pretty good.
    11-11-10 08:17 AM
    holy crap. Never moving to america what a rip!! Did you have to pay for phone handsets as well?
    11-11-10 08:33 AM
    Right either you are lying or Orange are lying. I would say the latter as i rang up last night at 9pm and got the torch and its being delivered tomorrow.... so yea
    I've got no reason to lie, just saying what they said. If you get yours Friday then brill.....no doubt my txt saying my phone is in won't be long.

11-11-10 04:53 PM
    holy crap. Never moving to america what a rip!! Did you have to pay for phone handsets as well?
    Could you imagine what the french would do?....lol

11-11-10 04:54 PM
    Yes we have to pay for handsets as well. In canada for the Torch you had to have a voice and data plan of minimum 45 dollars a month sign for 36 months and then pay 199.99 for the phone. With some carriers it was 179.99 but still no where near free. I have noticed a lot of the phones in UK are free after you sign a contract.
    11-11-10 04:59 PM
    yeah, a lot are free except the very very latest phones and that gadet iphone thing.

Device turnover is probably the problem - like the Torch is well cheap now why? well the 9780 is offering the same tech (? or as close as) but with the bigger keyboard. It would seem the Torch maybe isn't flying off the shelves as BB stalwarts look to the 9780 as their upgrade. The Torch stock has to be shifted somehow.

Anyhow - call from Orange on Friday saying phone to be with me today - however has to go to home address and not work address to avoid potential loss of phone. Told them don't bother sending courier as it'll be a wasted journey - but get this, they say once the courier has been and not delivered and notified orange then I can call in and change delivery address!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf???###!!!

Most bizzarrrrr process ever.

Anyhow got a txt today saying device dispatched to courier company, nothing yet - so they've got the days wrong as well.

Gives me more time to clear down mycurrent phone though ready for handover to my better half.

Bets on another update this week????
    11-15-10 09:32 AM
    Finally it's arrived - home address mind you - royal mail now shipping it to me for tomorrow :-)

one question, once unboxed do you have to charge the battery and not use anything for 12/24 hours to help get max battery life or is a case of just plug it in and away you go?

ta
    11-16-10 09:52 AM
    Battery usually comes with a nominal charge(enough to get it setup and use for a little while), but you should connect and let it charge fully.

Besides you can use(play) with it while it's charged, just cant go to far from the plug lol.
    11-16-10 09:53 AM
    ok, cool - I remember my older phone instructions used to say ignore when it says it's fully charged, keep connected to charger for 12 hours.
    11-16-10 10:16 AM
    Finally got my mits on it!!

version 246 installed - now to start the learning process.

Quick one - have had to send my web bookmarks to the device via bluetooth (dead simple to pair) as I can't find the location where they are stored on my current device. Where does the bb phone store bluetooth received files please? Tried the universal search but nothing pops up.

ta
    11-17-10 05:46 AM
    Just out of curiosity, did you try the device switch device wizard in DM? Not quite sure where it stores received BT files.
    11-17-10 05:55 AM
    In my experience after living in 4 different countries its very hard to find a cheaper place for cellphones that the USA.

I am currently living in The Netherlands and my plans with Vodafone is:

30 Euros/Month, 200 minutes or 400 msgs + 1GB Internet/month.
    11-17-10 05:59 AM
    Oh shucks, am going to US for studies next year. Guess if I continue to have my Blackberry in US, my monthly bill would be a bomb?

Anyway here in Singapore, my monthly bill comes up to about SGD70 (USD54) - Unlimited free sms/incoming call, 100 mins free outgoing, 12GB 3G Data, 3GB BIS. Is this consider expensive?
    11-17-10 07:07 AM
    Just out of curiosity, did you try the device switch device wizard in DM? Not quite sure where it stores received BT files.
    I've assumed that's for BB -> BB phones so not applicable for my i8910 ???
    11-17-10 07:47 AM
    All in Canadian dollars:

Unlimited incoming/outgoing text,
    Unlimited data,
    Unlimited incoming/outgoing local and continental long distance calling (7pm-8am and weekends),
    3-way calling,
    caller ID,
    visual voicemail,
    500 daytime minutes,
    Streaming NHL games (live) for free
    insurance

For a whopping 150-160 per month. I think I'm getting screwed but plan to use it as the most serious leverage when my contract's up... That and I just like my BB that much.

Sigh.

Yeah if there's anyone that gets screwed with phone plans it's us Canadians

11-17-10 07:58 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD