Went to Best Buy today because my beloved 9800 had some software issues (had a problem downgrading from a leak). I have the Black Tie with Best Buy so I exchanged it for a new Torch after about an hour of them trying to fix it...

I noticed a green dot sticker on the side of the box. The Torch has no wiggle, no creaky buttons and a very smooth sliding mechanism. Anyone else know about the green dot 9800? I know the Tour's had some green dot's that allegedly fixed the trackball issues... Your thoughts?
    11-07-10 05:36 PM
    I could be wrong but I think the green dot signifies a refurb.
    11-07-10 05:38 PM
    A refurb for sure. But most of the refurb's have all the bugs fixed!
    11-07-10 06:49 PM
    No it doesn't mean refurb. It means you got a new one that fixed some of the issues that it original one had. I work for AT&T and all are new ones have the green dot.
    11-07-10 07:05 PM
    Our local store must be incorrect then, thank you for the correction!
    11-07-10 07:06 PM
    If the green dot means something is fixed. Do we know what was fixed, or perhaps could it just be the OS upgrade?
    11-07-10 09:33 PM
    The Green Dot stickers indicate the revised slider mechanism has been incorporated into the phone. It's an improved version of original hardware.

AT&T/RIM will replace your phone with a new "Green Dot" model if the one you purchased wasn't part of that series. The loose slider is considered a defect.
    11-07-10 09:44 PM
    The Green Dot stickers indicate the revised slider mechanism has been incorporated into the phone. It's an improved version of original hardware.

AT&T/RIM will replace your phone with a new "Green Dot" model if the one you purchased wasn't part of that series. The loose slider is considered a defect.
    Even if you are out of your 30 days?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-10 10:19 PM
    ^ I too want to know this D:
    11-07-10 10:37 PM
    I have a green dot on my box but i have issues with the virtual keyboard. Anyone else have these issues or should I just exchange it? Sometimes I'll type a letter and a symbol will come up or I will type p and q will come up. When I restart it gets fixed temporarily. Anyone else?

11-07-10 10:38 PM
    I have a green dot on my box but i have issues with the virtual keyboard. Anyone else have these issues or should I just exchange it? Sometimes I'll type a letter and a symbol will come up or I will type p and q will come up. When I restart it gets fixed temporarily. Anyone else?

What OS are you running? Maybe try a reinstall?
    11-07-10 10:39 PM
    Even if you are out of your 30 days?

or even if you're not an att user?
    11-07-10 10:42 PM
    What OS are you running? Maybe try a reinstall?
    I am running .337 after doing a wipe prior to install. Last couple of hours it has been working fine but i might just exchange it for a new white or red.

11-08-10 01:39 AM
    Yeah so last week I had to get a phone replacement (second one btw) and they sent me one with a green dot behind the battery. I must say it's flawless and I haven't had any issues as of yet. So I'm starting to believe these are the updated devices that RIM has put out.
    11-08-10 01:43 AM

I would love to know where he gets this information from and if it's true or not. I for one would love to trade in my "wobbly" slider. It's not that bad that i would make a warranty claim(past my 30 days), but if there going to replace them at no charge, I'm all over it.
    11-08-10 02:22 AM
    I hate to ask the obvious question but has anyone called AT&T? It would seem reasonable that owners would have been notified by the carrier of this option.

11-08-10 06:26 AM
    I hate to ask the obvious question but has anyone called AT&T? It would seem reasonable that owners would have been notified by the carrier of this option.

In an hour and a half when customer service opens... You can guarantee I'll be calling and posting
    11-08-10 06:31 AM
    In an hour and a half when customer service opens... You can guarantee I'll be calling and posting
    Nice. Ill be watching this thread

11-08-10 06:35 AM
    Forgot customer service is 24/7 ...DUH...

Anyways, just got off the phone with them and they know nothing about a recall or anything about a green dot on the boxes.
    11-08-10 07:01 AM
    This doesn't really surprise me. Lot of times those phone support people aren't told anything. Maybe a corporate store might know? Like since they actually probably have green dot boxes in stock?
    11-08-10 08:27 AM
    Ok we are BlackBerry users so he have never had sliders. But go play with an LG or an HTC slider. They make tons of them. They are loose. They are not completely solid.

So you are saying they will replace anyones phone that is not from the new batch?

I don't know how many they sold in the last 2 months but I don't believe it.
    I'm sure they may replace it if someone calls in and makes a big enough deal about it. But they are not going to come out and state the torch, until this point, is defective.

11-08-10 10:23 AM
    Just a follow up.
    Called my local AT&T(corporate) store. None of them there or their manager knew anything about a recall from RIM or AT&T because of a defective slider. They had suggested that the green dot simply means that they come preloaded with the "official" .246. They did in fact take one out of the box and booted it up to test this theory, and guess what? It had .246 on it. So i would have to believe them at this point until someone else finds some different information. Suppose when I go to the city on Wednesday I'll stop by the store and see if the device is any different.
    11-08-10 10:31 AM
    Just a follow up.
    Called my local AT&T(corporate) store. None of them there or their manager knew anything about a recall from RIM or AT&T because of a defective slider. They had suggested that the green dot simply means that they come preloaded with the "official" .246. They did in fact take one out of the box and booted it up to test this theory, and guess what? It had .246 on it. So i would have to believe them at this point until someone else finds some different information. Suppose when I go to the city on Wednesday I'll stop by the store and see if the device is any different.
    Thanks very much for following up.
    11-08-10 10:45 AM
    Did anyone from UK got this green dot thing????
    11-08-10 03:03 PM
    Being that I was the OP, I went back to Best Buy to exchange my "green dot" Torch because I noted the phone looked a bit "used."

I got to Best Buy and the only explanation for the phone looking "used" is that maybe a rep just rang up a returned Torch or that the Geek Squad tried installing software on it. They handed me the devices with the stickers removed, something this Best Buy never did in the past. I didn't watch them exchange it because I was with my girlfriend looking at laptops so maybe they tried to full a fast one on me.

However, I did notice the green dot Torch had zero wiggle. However, they insisted I exchange it for a brand new one, so I did. The new one doesn't have a green dot but was pre loaded with .246 and there is no wiggle or creakyness either.

I'm not sure what the green dot meant but the device itself was solid besides the signs of use (scratches to the bezel and battery cover. However, the new one I'm on right now is just as solid minus the scratches.

11-08-10 03:56 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD