I'm a total novice; this is my first blackberry and my first smart phone. I'm feeling really overwhelmed. My first two questions:

1. What is the best source for basic how to information? Does it reveal me as hopeless than I'm wishing I had a book to help? Any suggestions for how I should get started?

2. Is there an easy way to get rid of the icons on my home page that are for stuff I don't want - like Fandago, Bloomberg, etc.?

Any help is much appreciated.
    09-13-10 07:19 PM
    I'm a total novice; this is my first blackberry and my first smart phone. I'm feeling really overwhelmed. My first two questions:

1. What is the best source for basic how to information? Does it reveal me as hopeless than I'm wishing I had a book to help? Any suggestions for how I should get started?

2. Is there an easy way to get rid of the icons on my home page that are for stuff I don't want - like Fandago, Bloomberg, etc.?

any icons that you do not wish to show you can just select it, press the menu key and then select Hide. If the app is 3rd party you can just delete if you dont use it.

To show all apps again just select Show all from the menu on the homescreen.
    09-13-10 07:23 PM
    Thanks Smiley. I was trying to touch the icon and that was trying to open it and then I wouldn't get hide as an option. Using the mouse thing to highlight gave me the option to hide.

One problem down... about 100 more to go!
    09-13-10 07:31 PM
    You can also press and hold an icon to bring up the quick options menu. Or you can highlight with the trackpad and press and hold the trackpad to bring it up.

Here someone posted links to the tutorial videos:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/to...ideo-s-528329/
    09-13-10 07:36 PM
    When it comes to Blackberry, remember, the Blackberry button is your friend. Blackberry tends to put their menus within the feature you're in. So, if you want to edit email stuff, go into your list of email, click the BB button and there are options there. If you're in a messenger program, click the BB button for options there.

Think of it as the right click on a mouse. You would right click while you're in a program you need to adjust.

AND, to make it even easier, since the Torch has global search, you can actual "search" for what you are looking for. For example, I wasn't understanding where everyone was seeing their battery %. So, I typed "Batt" and it gave me "Options" as a possible result, I click on that and it takes me to the options area which is in regards to the battery. If you want to make sure your phone is up to date, simply type "update" and you will get another "Options" screen as a result, click that and it takes you to the updates area.
    09-13-10 09:59 PM
    To remove Fandango, WHERE, CNN, ESPN, etc, go Options - Device - Advanced Service Options - Service Books. Find offending Fandango VPL - Blackberry Button - delete - yes. Do this for all files marked VPL. Becareful not to delete a nessicary service book, like your Browser info.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-10 10:09 PM
    wow... thanks for this info (now you made my life a little more easier to manage my new BB)
    09-14-10 09:20 AM
    Louielouielouie,

If you have the time and are at a computer, the 9800 interactive demo is a pretty good overview of the device and how to navigate it. Here's the link:

BlackBerry 9800 BB-101
    09-14-10 12:13 PM
    To remove Fandango, WHERE, CNN, ESPN, etc, go Options - Device - Advanced Service Options - Service Books. Find offending Fandango VPL - Blackberry Button - delete - yes. Do this for all files marked VPL. Becareful not to delete a nessicary service book, like your Browser info.

This will only work for items that are deletable in the first place. You can delete some service books but they will just be pushed to your device again eventually.

If you connect your BB to your computer and open Desktop Software and click on "Applications"' in the left column, you will get a list of apps that are installed on your device. Some of them will give you the option of removing, some will not. The ones that don't you will not be able to get rid of them, so you will just have to hide them and forget about them.
    09-14-10 02:56 PM

They'll be back, this is not a permanent fix. The carrier will push them again.
    09-14-10 02:59 PM
    Louie,
    Just some words of encouragement.. The people here are amazing and will help you through any issues that arise. Don’t be shy to come back to this post and ask more questions as things come up. Remember, we were all new to the device at one time or another! Keep at it and you’ll love the BB more and more as each day passes! Enjoy!!
    09-14-10 03:11 PM

I am new to Blackberries and this is my first smartphone too. Start with the 'blackberry help' tab and just go from there. This site rocks and it is loaded with information. Just keep coming back to the site and you will not go wrong.
    09-14-10 11:23 PM
    Thanks for the tips and support!
    09-15-10 12:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD